E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-26-2012, 05:27 PM   #1
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors
 
Mango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Southern California
Posts: 22,522
My Ride: M54B30
Safety-wire + loctite + drilled BW OPN

Fun job. Friend's car. Doing mine sometime soon...

Background: supercharged 330i w / lightweight flywheel (I know--BEGGING for the OPN to come off)

Needless to say the nut was on the last thread and the sprocket was disconnected from the shaft. Fun times. Wasn't there during the failure but red oil light came on while driving. Friend says he shut it off right away but I can't say for sure.

Moment of truth is when we start it Friday... didn't bother to pull any bearings.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	opn.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	274.0 KB
ID:	462293  
__________________
A lifetime free of problems if you follow my guides
Cooling | Maintenance | Suspension | Vacuum | Supreme Reliability | Details

OVER A MILLION VIEWS

Last edited by Mango; 07-26-2012 at 05:32 PM.
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:07 PM   #2
ImolaSix
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 610
My Ride: '02 330Ci M-sport
Does your friend track his car?
__________________
ImolaSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 07:24 PM   #3
Zell
Registered User
 
Zell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Such City
Posts: 5,640
My Ride: '02 Dogemobile Shibe
Should've just gotten the ZHP self-locking nut. Pretty much solves the problem.
__________________
Zell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 07:40 PM   #4
Grande D
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 3,313
My Ride: E90 M-Sport
Yep the ZHP is special in this case

The shaft can fail on the 330s, more-so it seems than with the E36 M3s. I would have done at least the VAC shaft/sprocket kit, if not the vaio oil pump.

Nice job, lotta work, and I hope it doesn't fail on your friend.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymalls View Post
dont listen to these fuQ faces... just go to a junk yard and get a used complete left rear end. i cracked my left rear control arm on the highway because i was driving w/o shocks... lol! ***Was too busy caking on these bitches instead of taking care my car!***
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 07:46 PM   #5
REKLESS ROB
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Orange County CA
Posts: 143
My Ride: 2004 325ci
That nut is swimming in red loctite. Nice!
REKLESS ROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 07:59 PM   #6
dknightd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: upstate NY
Posts: 982
My Ride: 2002 330 cic
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
Fun job. Friend's car. Doing mine sometime soon...

Background: supercharged 330i w / lightweight flywheel (I know--BEGGING for the OPN to come off)

Needless to say the nut was on the last thread and the sprocket was disconnected from the shaft. Fun times. Wasn't there during the failure but red oil light came on while driving. Friend says he shut it off right away but I can't say for sure.

Moment of truth is when we start it Friday... didn't bother to pull any bearings.
I don't know what the heck an OPN is. But if a nut is properly installed, with proper thread lock, and safety wired, I don't see how it can possibly come loose. Was this a stock part your friend overwhelmed with power, or, could it have been an improperly installed part?
dknightd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:06 PM   #7
Grande D
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 3,313
My Ride: E90 M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by dknightd View Post
I don't know what the heck an OPN is. But if a nut is properly installed, with proper thread lock, and safety wired, I don't see how it can possibly come loose. Was this a stock part your friend overwhelmed with power, or, could it have been an improperly installed part?
It is not loctite-d or safety-wired from the factory. It is a fairly common issues on tracked 3L M54s (the oil pump nut falling off). The issue he may have created is an imbalance in the sprocket/shaft which can cause it to shear in even more rare instances.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymalls View Post
dont listen to these fuQ faces... just go to a junk yard and get a used complete left rear end. i cracked my left rear control arm on the highway because i was driving w/o shocks... lol! ***Was too busy caking on these bitches instead of taking care my car!***
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 01:21 AM   #8
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors
 
Mango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Southern California
Posts: 22,522
My Ride: M54B30
I'd still want to safety wire a ZHP nut. Not sure I'd trust the factory self-locker or (micro encapsulant) as they call it... though you don't really hear of ZHP nuts falling off do you?

Doing my car fairly soon. Keeping an open mind.

And no track time on the car that I know of
__________________
A lifetime free of problems if you follow my guides
Cooling | Maintenance | Suspension | Vacuum | Supreme Reliability | Details

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:07 AM   #9
Grande D
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 3,313
My Ride: E90 M-Sport
I don't think the ZHP nut solves the problem if you track often. If you just drive hard on the street and stay on top of your damper you should be fine.

Just google search (on this site) ATI Super Damper, M54B30 Harmonic Issues/Problems, vaio oil pump, VAC oil pump kit.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymalls View Post
dont listen to these fuQ faces... just go to a junk yard and get a used complete left rear end. i cracked my left rear control arm on the highway because i was driving w/o shocks... lol! ***Was too busy caking on these bitches instead of taking care my car!***
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:12 AM   #10
ac_2007
Registered User
 
ac_2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 6,895
My Ride: 2004 M3, 2001 325i
Is it worth doing this on a 325?
ac_2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:29 AM   #11
peytonracer4
:D
 
peytonracer4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Valparaiso, IN
Posts: 6,409
My Ride: '00 328i
I never understood the safety wire. Do you drill through the side of the nut?
__________________
choose to click or forever hold your peace ;)
peytonracer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 09:29 AM   #12
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors
 
Mango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Southern California
Posts: 22,522
My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhp43867 View Post
I don't think the ZHP nut solves the problem if you track often. If you just drive hard on the street and stay on top of your damper you should be fine.

Just google search (on this site) ATI Super Damper, M54B30 Harmonic Issues/Problems, vaio oil pump, VAC oil pump kit.
Oh I know more than enough about this... as of years ago. C'mon man. You know I read

Quote:
Originally Posted by peytonracer4 View Post
I never understood the safety wire. Do you drill through the side of the nut?
You can either drill it... (need a stationary drill press and really sharp diamond tipped drill bit) or buy one for $10 from bimmerworld. The safety wire, in case you don't know, basically holds the nut in relation to the sprocket so that if it ever becomes vibrated, it has less of a tendency to turn (because it can't turn)

With the shorter stroke, I don't think the B25 engines have the tendency the B30s do to vibrate. So now, I think you 325 guys should be fine.
__________________
A lifetime free of problems if you follow my guides
Cooling | Maintenance | Suspension | Vacuum | Supreme Reliability | Details

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 09:35 AM   #13
ac_2007
Registered User
 
ac_2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 6,895
My Ride: 2004 M3, 2001 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
With the shorter stroke, I don't think the B25 engines have the tendency the B30s do to vibrate. So now, I think you 325 guys should be fine.
Damn it feels good to be a gangsta..
ac_2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 06:37 PM   #14
Grande D
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 3,313
My Ride: E90 M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
Oh I know more than enough about this... as of years ago. C'mon man. You know I read



You can either drill it... (need a stationary drill press and really sharp diamond tipped drill bit) or buy one for $10 from bimmerworld. The safety wire, in case you don't know, basically holds the nut in relation to the sprocket so that if it ever becomes vibrated, it has less of a tendency to turn (because it can't turn)

With the shorter stroke, I don't think the B25 engines have the tendency the B30s do to vibrate. So now, I think you 325 guys should be fine.
Indeed.

Well if you did search, my apologies for assuming you didn't, why did you use the safety wire? It seems to cause issues on the M54s. Why not weld, "just" red loctite, or buy the VAC kit?

I can understand why it's a no on the oil pump- too expensive and hard to obtain.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymalls View Post
dont listen to these fuQ faces... just go to a junk yard and get a used complete left rear end. i cracked my left rear control arm on the highway because i was driving w/o shocks... lol! ***Was too busy caking on these bitches instead of taking care my car!***
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use