E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-25-2012, 04:49 PM   #1
morgangibb

My Ride: 2000 328i
Exclamation Loud click when i roll down window...

so the other day a friend slammed my front, passenger side door pretty hard...recently after, i was rolling the window down and it made a loud clicking noise. i rolled the window up and down a few times...it got worse. it seemed like when the window would roll down, something was almost snapping like tension on plastic. anyways, i tore the door apart using the how-to's to get to the window regulator. so with the door completely apart, and looking at the window regulator motor, i began rolling the window up and down. the noise is coming from this cable coming from the window motor.

you can see it in this picture. its the cable at the top of the motor with the arrow pointing to it.

so the cable runs all the way along the top of the door. it contracts when the window goes down and extends when the window goes up. it sounds like the cable is whats making all the noise. but the cable goes from the motor all the way across the door to where the lock pin pops up and down. where the cable ends, inside the door, theres like a plastic piece, i feel like this is the cause of the noise.

the noise occurs where the red arrows are.

so i wiggled the cbale a little to see what was up, and everything seemed to be in its proper place. the noise is just hidden and i cant tell what it is.

let me know if you guys have ever heard of this or if i just need to dig deeper into the door. for now im just now rolling the window down if i dont need to. any help is appreciated
morgangibb is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-25-2012, 05:34 PM   #2
Beau B

My Ride: 2003 ZHP Sedan
My front drivers door does the same thing. The window motor was just replaced a year or so ago, I have not had time to dig into the noise yet however. I am interested to see what it is, to save me some time when I go to fix this as well.

Beau
Beau B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 05:50 PM   #3
morgangibb

is it a pretty bad snapping noise? mine is bad...when the car is completely off and on level ground, whatever it is, almost shakes my car when it knocks. its a really loud harsh click
Old 07-25-2012, 08:07 PM   #4
sabrehagen

My Ride: 2004 M Sport 318i
Is there any chance this is relevant to your problem? http://www.skene.org/bmw/window/index.html
sabrehagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 02:06 AM   #5
sj408

My Ride: E46
I have the same if not similar problem. I just replaced my regulator about two weeks ago with a brand new one. Then after one week this happens. It makes a loud thumping/vibrating sound from the cable only when i try to press the switch up. Im gonna pop it open sometime hoping its nothing too bad.
sj408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 03:14 AM   #6
morgangibb

Saberhagen - I'm gonna pull the door apart tomorrow and dig into this again. It looks like that could definitely be the noise.
Sj408 - ill let you know my results tomorrow
Old 07-26-2012, 02:04 PM   #7
morgangibb

yep, that was it. i have small hands so i was able to get zipties on without even taking the regulator motor out. i just rolled the window down until i could see that cable through the track and slipped the zip ties on. problem fixed.
Old 07-26-2012, 04:17 PM   #8
sj408

My Ride: E46
Nice. Hopefully mine only needs the ziptie and nothing more
sj408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 06:42 AM   #9
bAby norAA

My Ride: 01 BMW 330i
http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showt...or-zip-tie-fix

| VF Supercharged Stage 1.5| Southbend Stage 2 Clutch | ZHP Cams | Technik Headers |
bAby norAA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
broken, door, window