E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.60 average. Display Modes
Old 07-18-2012, 10:56 PM   #241
Sweetness
E46 is strong with this one

My Ride: '01 325i
you actually won the lotto?
Sweetness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 06:17 PM   #242
TrippinBimmer

My Ride: ZHP Custom Stage 3.5
Send a message via AIM to TrippinBimmer Send a message via Yahoo to TrippinBimmer
Gave the 330 an oil change today and did some minor Tweaking. It is running Great! There is a few things we need to tweak on the software (ex. idle rpm and upper RPM tune) The Power Feels Great. I am awaiting on some parts from AA and swapping out my BOV for the Candy Blue one from Viral. Hopefully, We can get this car really tuned in this Thanksgiving!

I just order another -10an 45* fitting from Summit as the Straight and 90* wont work well with my setup.

-Trip

Last edited by TrippinBimmer; 07-28-2012 at 06:21 PM.
TrippinBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 07:24 PM   #243
bigjae1976

My Ride: A car
Send a message via MSN to bigjae1976
Where did you get the black fitting? I need a 45 degree fitting so I can keep my oil cooler incognito.

Why are you waiting until Thanksgiving?
bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 08:31 PM   #244
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

My Ride: 330i, 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrippinBimmer View Post

I just order another -10an 45* fitting from Summit as the Straight and 90* wont work well with my setup.

-Trip
Nice hardware!

So....what are you doing for oil cooling?
PEI330Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 08:36 PM   #245
TrippinBimmer

Send a message via AIM to TrippinBimmer Send a message via Yahoo to TrippinBimmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
Where did you get the black fitting? I need a 45 degree fitting so I can keep my oil cooler incognito.

SummitRacing.com where I buy all my -AN Fittings and LSx Performance needs..

Why are you waiting until Thanksgiving?
Funds. Modding both car has been a big hit on my wallet. Still recovering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEI330Ci View Post
Nice hardware!

So....what are you doing for oil cooling?
Adam,

I am not sure yet. Still thinking about that one but I just figure what is wrong with my car Misfire on cylinder 6. Coil, Spark Plug and Compression is good. So my Injectors CRAPPED out! This has been causing my problem the whole time.

-Anthony

Last edited by TrippinBimmer; 07-28-2012 at 08:37 PM.
Old 07-28-2012, 08:38 PM   #246
Sweetness
E46 is strong with this one

My Ride: '01 325i
Ahh so you didn't win the lotto. But seriously- what do you do for a living?
Sweetness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 09:08 PM   #247
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven747 View Post
How much do custom axles go for and can you give any specifics ?
Sorry, I missed your question before.

The axles are from DSS, so their standard BMW M3 rate.

The trick is that you have to use Automatic axles, as the Manual ones are a completely different design. The part that makes them "custom" is that the centre bar is a different length than the M3 pieces.

There is another weak link if you are going to really hammer on the car: The diff output flanges. I replaced the E46 pieces with units from a '91 325i. (E30)
Old 07-28-2012, 09:11 PM   #248
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

Quote:
Adam,

I am not sure yet. Still thinking about that one but I just figure what is wrong with my car Misfire on cylinder 6. Coil, Spark Plug and Compression is good. So my Injectors CRAPPED out! This has been causing my problem the whole time.

-Anthony
I've got a set of 36 lb/hr injectors at the shop I could have sent to you. (The ones from the Technique Tuning turbo kit)
Old 07-28-2012, 09:40 PM   #249
Steven747

My Ride: 05 330ci
Quote:
Sorry, I missed your question before.

The axles are from DSS, so their standard BMW M3 rate.

The trick is that you have to use Automatic axles, as the Manual ones are a completely different design. The part that makes them "custom" is that the centre bar is a different length than the M3 pieces.

There is another weak link if you are going to really hammer on the car: The diff output flanges. I replaced the E46 pieces with units from a '91 325i. (E30)
very interesting will be using those 2 ideas when its time to replace axles.. so output shafts are a perfect fit on our cars assuming you did it with no extra modifications needed..

what is the length of the axles?
Old 07-28-2012, 09:40 PM   #250
bAby norAA

My Ride: 01 BMW 330i
I noticed you switched from a hydraulic tentioner to a mechanical one, was there any reason behind this? I've always thought the hydraulic (as long as it was it good working order) was more reliable (?)

as far as your BOV, i didnt see what you ended up going with for a DV instead, but you could always try a hybrid DV which would release a small percentage of air.

| VF Supercharged Stage 1.5| Southbend Stage 2 Clutch | ZHP Cams | Technik Headers |
bAby norAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 10:22 PM   #251
TrippinBimmer

Quote:
I've got a set of 36 lb/hr injectors at the shop I could have sent to you. (The ones from the Technique Tuning turbo kit)
Adam, let me do more testing on the Injector tomorrow. I also need to find out what lbs injectors Im using. Might upgrade to 42lbs will I am at it. I will let you know

Quote:
Originally Posted by bAby norAA View Post
I noticed you switched from a hydraulic tentioner to a mechanical one, was there any reason behind this? I've always thought the hydraulic (as long as it was it good working order) was more reliable (?)

as far as your BOV, i didnt see what you ended up going with for a DV instead, but you could always try a hybrid DV which would release a small percentage of air.
The tensioner is what came with the kit and I installed it. As for the BOV, I am using the AA Original Recir BOV.

-Anthony
Old 07-28-2012, 10:27 PM   #252
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven747 View Post
very interesting will be using those 2 ideas when its time to replace axles.. so output shafts are a perfect fit on our cars assuming you did it with no extra modifications needed..

what is the length of the axles?
Normally I would refer this to PM, as it's Trippinbimmer's thread, but I know he's also interested in this.

You need to start with 100% working cores, so in my case I bought 2 brand new axles and shipped them to DSS.

I can't remember the exact length, DSS informed me of the change they made. The E46 M3 hub sits 23mm futher out, so I think that might be the #?

The main thing was replacing the OEM center bar with one made of 300M. I've got a box full of axle parts...thanks to breaking stuff on the 330i. The Automatic axle is definitely the prefered design to have upgraded....
Old 07-28-2012, 10:31 PM   #253
bigjae1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by bAby norAA View Post
AA uses the mechanical tension in all of their kits. They say the hydraulic ones don't last...the hydraulic cylinder begins to leak and then collapses.

I know ESS recommends a regular tensioner change as PM.
Old 07-28-2012, 10:34 PM   #254
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

Quote:
Adam, let me do more testing on the Injector tomorrow. I also need to find out what lbs injectors Im using. Might upgrade to 42lbs will I am at it. I will let you know
-Anthony
This is going to sound really odd, but you are probably best to use whatever injector your tuner already has experience with.

It takes a ton of work to dial in idle and part throttle fueling to make a car run smoothly, and most of this is related to the injector's dynamic response. The dynamic response has very little to do with maximum flow rate...which we all seem to toss around like HP #s.

I would not drive the car to Florida with a faulty injector...or in an unhealthy state. There's no point in trying to tune an unhealthy car.

Maybe the injectors AA uses on the M3 kits would be a good fit?
Old 07-28-2012, 10:50 PM   #255
TrippinBimmer

Quote:
Normally I would refer this to PM, as it's Trippinbimmer's thread, but I know he's also interested in this.

You need to start with 100% working cores, so in my case I bought 2 brand new axles and shipped them to DSS.

I can't remember the exact length, DSS informed me of the change they made. The E46 M3 hub sits 23mm futher out, so I think that might be the #?

The main thing was replacing the OEM center bar with one made of 300M. I've got a box full of axle parts...thanks to breaking stuff on the 330i. The Automatic axle is definitely the prefered design to have upgraded....
Good info. This will be good info for James (bigjae1976) as he is buying my Non-m Auto Axle shafts. I will be sending my M3 shaft at a future date to DSS when it is time.

Quote:
This is going to sound really odd, but you are probably best to use whatever injector your tuner already has experience with.

It takes a ton of work to dial in idle and part throttle fueling to make a car run smoothly, and most of this is related to the injector's dynamic response. The dynamic response has very little to do with maximum flow rate...which we all seem to toss around like HP #s.

I would not drive the car to Florida with a faulty injector...or in an unhealthy state. There's no point in trying to tune an unhealthy car.

Maybe the injectors AA uses on the M3 kits would be a good fit?
Adam, that is why I want to confirm with AA first. The 42lbs came from AA and only have 100mile use on them. The 36lbs Delphi V Style Pintle. I will have to get the part number off of them. Might be the same that TT uses on their kits.

I want to get the car running correctly before driving anywhere Then I can figure out the Upper RPM range lean at AA.

-Anthony

Edit: Verify the Injector Cyl 6 injectors does not fire

Last edited by TrippinBimmer; 07-29-2012 at 12:47 AM.
Old 07-29-2012, 03:16 AM   #256
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

Quote:
Edit: Verify the Injector Cyl 6 injectors does not fire
Check the connector with a DMM....with the igntion switched on, you should have 12.Xv (battery voltage) from one of the pins.

Also, measure the resistance of the injector across it's 2 terminal pins and compare that to other injectors. (You'll have to unplug the harness completely I think to get to injector #6)

It could be the injector

It could be the connector

It could be the wiring harness

It could be the ECU (Worst case)

Just to be sure, I recommend replacing everything and upgrading to Cosworth ECU, Mil-spec wiring harness, and Bosch Motorsport injectors.
Old 07-29-2012, 12:16 PM   #257
TrippinBimmer

Quote:
Check the connector with a DMM....with the igntion switched on, you should have 12.Xv (battery voltage) from one of the pins.

Also, measure the resistance of the injector across it's 2 terminal pins and compare that to other injectors. (You'll have to unplug the harness completely I think to get to injector #6)

It could be the injector? Yes, it is Noid wont open and spray Fuel.

It could be the connector? Connector is in great Shape and still have current.

It could be the wiring harness? Check Current. One wire is 5v and other is 12v.

It could be the ECU (Worst case)? I hope not.

Just to be sure, I recommend replacing everything and upgrading to Cosworth ECU, Mil-spec wiring harness, and Bosch Motorsport injectors.
Adam,

Great Advice I did ohm test on all injectors and got 19.6 ohms. Then I did a 12v test on the cyl 6 injector and it wont open and spray fuel. 1-5 works just fine. So we know whats the problem. BAD Injector

I would love to upgrade to Cosworth ECU, Mil-Spec Wiring Harness and Bosch Motorsport Injectors (I really want) but that will be down the road. I would like to wait for this guy to do the testing first :wink:

-Anthony

Last edited by TrippinBimmer; 07-29-2012 at 01:18 PM.
Old 07-29-2012, 06:03 PM   #258
bigjae1976

Quote:
Good info. This will be good info for James (bigjae1976) as he is buying my Non-m Auto Axle shafts. I will be sending my M3 shaft at a future date to DSS when it is time.
Damn...will the auto axles work? I just need some decent spares. Don't plan on launching the car or anything...just beat the piss out of it on the road course!
Old 07-30-2012, 02:11 PM   #259
TrippinBimmer

Ordered new injectors today be here Thursday for install

-Anthony
Old 07-31-2012, 11:09 AM   #260
aggieE46
Keep it clean

My Ride: 03 Evo, 07 Passat
Send a message via AIM to aggieE46
Woot! Glad you finally got it nailed down.