E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW News from around the Web

BMW News from around the Web
Submit the latest BMW news from around the world for other E46Fanatics members to check out.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-08-2012, 03:45 PM   #21
ryannel2003

My Ride: '04 Cadillac Deville
Quote:
Originally Posted by e46beemer702 View Post
Cadillac will always be second over all, their interior kills it all the time. The only way Cadillac would win is if it was made in Germany, designed, tested and built, we Americans care about the bottom line before anything.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Bimmer App
The interior of the Cadillac isn't that bad. I don't think the 5 Series or M5 has a draw dropping interior either.
Old 07-08-2012, 04:00 PM   #22
goosu94

My Ride: z3
Caddy reminds me of an amg, it's a car to ride in, not to drive and they just stuff a huge v8 in it
goosu94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 05:32 PM   #23
e46beemer702

My Ride: 2005 325i sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryannel2003 View Post
The interior of the Cadillac isn't that bad. I don't think the 5 Series or M5 has a draw dropping interior either.
Hence the price diference, BMW is a solid car, the metal pieces inside are actualy metal not plastic dipped in metal chrome. BMW has haf 50/50 weight ratio for years that is something Cadillac just figured out, and yes GM will mess things up they care about how much something cost before anything...Cadillac must of spent 50 dollars worth of cheap plastic on their interior, BMW spends that on a piece of birch wood accent..not simulated wood.

e46beemer702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 05:36 PM   #24
ryannel2003

Agreed, but the Cadillac interior is pretty solid other than a few pieces of cheap trim here and there. It's not up to snuff with the M5, but GM spent more of their money with this platform on suspension and handling than interior or engines. That's why they just stuffed a Corvette motor under the hood. Not that I think that was a bad idea, but obviously the competition is using more refined motors. I think what's amazing is that 10 years ago Cadillac was building FWD luxoboats and they now have a car that actually competes with cars like the M5 and E63 AMG and people don't laugh you out of the room. It's impressive work, that's for sure.

I'm also a self proclaimed Cadillac nut as well. I'm the one who actually liked the luxoboats and owned one.
Old 07-08-2012, 06:28 PM   #25
ZeroOath

My Ride: 04 M3 Vert SMG, S14
My whole thing on the racing industry is this:

How can you honestly say whose better when both parties have a year or more to revamp their platforms and come back stronger. What Im saying is the M5 was top dog for YEARS, which means GM had YEARS to perfect their cadillac and develop it to purposely beat the M. Then BMW had a year or two to revamp and figure out what they needed to do to edge out their competition and the vicious cycle continues on.

This method does not prove, at least in my opinion, the better platform. This only proves that both companies R&D Departments are earning their money.

We have seen this same situation happening for the last couple of years with the GTR and the ZR1. GTR comes out and breaks Records, GM goes to the drawing board and comes back in a year with a machine PURPOSELY built to beat the GTR and it goes on and on. This is what is happening and will continue to happen.

Want to really impress people? Give the automotive companies a category to research and build upon, give them resources they need but do not allow them to communicate in any way, the give them all the same budget and time... Lets say 2-3 years... And have them meet on the same track with same conditions. The same tires, same drivers, everything and then crown a winner. Only then can it be said who is champion.

This way there is no way to know what your opponents are bringing to the table thus making it impossible for each other to know what the opposing sides strengths and weaknesses will be.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Bimmer App
ZeroOath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 04:55 PM   #26
Reznick

My Ride: 2008 M3, 2011 cts-V
I've been away for a while do to a bad accident , but its good to know some things never change. It was just last year , I believe , that the M5 lost to the CTS-V in a shoot out in the same magazine.I'll admit, I don't own a new M5 , but I do have a 2008 e92 M3 MT and my wife traded in her 335 for a 2011 CTS-V. Compared to the last gen M5 interior, the Caddy's interior is nicer IMO.I love BMW's. I still own the first 3 series I ever bought. But I also love lots of other cars. to say "The only way Cadillac would win is if it was made in Germany, designed, tested and built, we Americans care about the bottom line before anything." is a bit ignorant . If GM did truly only care about the bottom line the CTS-V wouldn't even exist. WE as Americans have really stepped up our automotive game in the last 5 yrs or so. Its just too bad people that people buy into the hype that all foreign cars are better.This isn't the 80's anymore. a lot has changed. I absolutely love my 2001 330 ( i still have it), but I've spent more time under the hood ( & under the dash and behind the door panels and in the sunroof). It has its flaws AND I LOVE IT FOR IT.
Reznick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 06:12 PM   #27
e46beemer702

History repeats its self, the first time cadillac tried to compete against the 3 series they came up with the cimarron the whole galaxy knows how that went it almost bankrupted Cadillac. all they do is put a Corvette motor in everything and call it a new concept or BMW killer.

Old 07-14-2012, 01:22 PM   #28
Reznick

My Ride: 2008 M3, 2011 cts-V
Quote:
History repeats its self, the first time cadillac tried to compete against the 3 series they came up with the cimarron the whole galaxy knows how that went it almost bankrupted Cadillac. all they do is put a Corvette motor in everything and call it a new concept or BMW killer.

OK so I can tell right from the go you've never spent time in a CTSV. So how has history repeating itself? So you fall back on the classic...."Oh the just stuck corvette engine in it " excuse. Hate to tell you but they only share about 20% of the corvette parts.( to that end, I could say BMW take one engine and stick it in about 90% of its cars)& there's no use saying the caddy is only good for straight line driving because around Monticello My M3 and CTSV are close. It all depends on whos driving. This is BMW's newest and baddest M5 and the already 4 yr old Caddy still goes nose to nose with it.LIke I said, both these cars are awesome, but if you are going to take the stance that " its a BMW so it wins " then you are going to miss out on some seriously nice cars. I have a KR1300 so I love my beemers too
Reznick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:13 AM   #29
e46beemer702

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reznick View Post
OK so I can tell right from the go you've never spent time in a CTSV. So how has history repeating itself? So you fall back on the classic...."Oh the just stuck corvette engine in it " excuse. Hate to tell you but they only share about 20% of the corvette parts.( to that end, I could say BMW take one engine and stick it in about 90% of its cars)& there's no use saying the caddy is only good for straight line driving because around Monticello My M3 and CTSV are close. It all depends on whos driving. This is BMW's newest and baddest M5 and the already 4 yr old Caddy still goes nose to nose with it.LIke I said, both these cars are awesome, but if you are going to take the stance that " its a BMW so it wins " then you are going to miss out on some seriously nice cars. I have a KR1300 so I love my beemers too
Nope, I will never set foot in a GM made product as long as I live, maybe if I get arrested and force to be in one otherwise no.

Old 07-17-2012, 10:47 AM   #30
hondahumper

My Ride: 2000 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonykim View Post
don't get me wrong but for the brand new state of the art F10 M5 to edge out a 4 year old CTSv competitor by such a narrow margin I am a bit disappointed. I foresee the revised CTSv to even it back up and then some. And even if the F10 can be modified in the near future or they up the boost somewhat, this current CTSV with $3-5k of mods is at 625 hp with a stock cam and heads. And with heads and cam over 700 hp easily. so bmw has their work cut out for them. For the $ i'd buy a low mileage caddy and dump in some mods and have $ left over for a nice E46 M3.

My fav videos of the 700 hp CTSv.

That's kinda slow for the hennessy package.. sad that a heavy ass truck could beat it..

Sent from my ADR6300 using Bimmer App
hondahumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 04:21 PM   #31
webster

My Ride: 04 330Ci ZHP
what's more interesting and reveailing than this stupid Road & Track comparo is the Car & Driver Comparo where the NEW E63 AMG and NEW S6 BOTH beat the NEW F10 M5 head to head. not a 6 year old car v a brand new one...

pretty disappointed with the new M5 to be honest (based on car mag reviews at least). aside from the blue paint color...

Last edited by webster; 07-25-2012 at 04:23 PM.
webster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 11:39 AM   #32
ryannel2003

Quote:
Nope, I will never set foot in a GM made product as long as I live, maybe if I get arrested and force to be in one otherwise no.

I'm sorry but what is so bad about GM products? That's all my entire family has and they have all been extremely reliable.
Old 07-29-2012, 10:58 AM   #33
slocar

My Ride: 323ci
I can't believe so many people here are saying the Cadillac is better.

Less expensive and just as fast? Sure, but that doesn't mean better.

If you're going to use the same logic, why didn't you buy a Pontiac Grand Am instead of your 3 series?
Old 07-29-2012, 08:36 PM   #34
e46beemer702

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryannel2003 View Post
I'm sorry but what is so bad about GM products? That's all my entire family has and they have all been extremely reliable.
Paint,interior lack of design both inside n out, ride, durability, my bros 19 year old 3 series has perfect paint n clearcoat, runs n the a/c still cold. many many more reasons... People chime in.

Old 07-29-2012, 08:42 PM   #35
e46beemer702

Quote:
Originally Posted by slocar View Post
I can't believe so many people here are saying the Cadillac is better.

Less expensive and just as fast? Sure, but that doesn't mean better.

If you're going to use the same logic, why didn't you buy a Pontiac Grand Am instead of your 3 series?
I seen the interior on caddilacs they still use cheap plastic and tons of it. Why people compare them to BMW is besides me.

Tags
2012 cts-v, 2013 m5, bill auberlen, bmw m5, cadillac, cadillac cts-v, cts-v, e60 m5, head to head, m5, road and track, sports sedan, twin turbo v8, v10