E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-23-2012, 12:35 PM   #101
Projekt330s

My Ride: 2004 BMW 330i
Go Get yourself a beer. lol
Projekt330s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 12:35 PM   #102
golf_234

My Ride: E90
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvg5004 View Post
Yes I am very pleased with the result. It wasted a lot of my time but I mentally prepared and budgeted as if I had to spend $6000 myself. Now that I don't I sort of feel like I won a small lottery.

Can't thank the community here enough
lol. i did the same thing thinking i was going to owe taxes.. still feel like a millionaire

2008 135i | Year 1 of the 1 | AW/Black Boston Leather | N54 | JB4 | Map 5 | 19" Matte Black CSLs | Comfort Access
Adaptive Xenons | Premium/Sport | Cold Weather | Brembos | Clear Bra | Auto Dim | Rain Sensor | 350 WHP
golf_234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 12:41 PM   #103
gvg5004

My Ride: 2002 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Projekt330s View Post
Go Get yourself a beer. lol
bought a bottle of Makers 46 to sip on
gvg5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 06:04 PM   #104
klax

My Ride: '04 325i
Great news.

Funny how the shop was most likely trying to save a few bucks using the aftermarket part - guess that didn't work out for them.
klax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 06:10 PM   #105
bmwstephen

My Ride: e46 325xi, e30 325is
Send a message via AIM to bmwstephen
wait are they replacing the transmission?
bmwstephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:42 PM   #106
yodaddyguido

My Ride: '01 330i
firestone had a hard time simply replacing the tires on my wife's toyota matrix... it was scary to watch, honestly. i read through that whole thing, and i'm happy to hear you came out on top, but man... steer clear of that place, or any generic shop from here on!
Old 07-23-2012, 09:03 PM   #107
Cobra

My Ride: '00 328i & '06 R6S
places you should NEVER take your e46:

fiirestone\bridgestone, meineke, midas, jiffy lube, pep boys, and some others that may be local to you guys or that i forgot. glad it all worked out, though
Old 07-23-2012, 10:25 PM   #108
MATTR355

My Ride: 330i
Reading this thread turned into a suspense story, with a happy ending! It's great to see all of the good help form everyone.

Makes me proud to be a fellow fanatic
MATTR355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 12:36 PM   #109
szinski

My Ride: 2004 BMW 325xi
Nothing like a happy ending!

I'm about to replace both front axles on my 325xi... I was tempted to buy the cheap "Made In China" (EMPI) axles but now I'm glad I bought the GKN Loebro (OEM) axles. Will be doing the work (myself) next week... wish me luck!!
szinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 01:04 PM   #110
delmarco

My Ride: 330i
Send a message via ICQ to delmarco Send a message via Yahoo to delmarco
Angry

about $2300!!

Based on what I've been quoted myself and what I've read on these maintenance repairs below in the red ink is what the normal prices are with labor and parts for what you repaired on your car:

- fuel service / tune up - not sure what this is-fuel injection cleaner - $10 or fuel filter - $100 or fuel pump - $200?
- all belts replaced - under $100
- brake fluid flushed - $80
- front right tie-rod replaced -under $100
- CV joint replaced - under $100
- control arm bushing replaced - $300
- alignment -ALWAYS free with replacement of tires or suspension parts

All the above should at MOST (if you did a full a fuel service-pump-filter-cleaner) should be equal to $990 parts and labor. Even if you are generous and say the labor was higher than average or you have an XI so parts cost more and you add $310 to the $990 to make it $1300 total then the shop still got at least $1000 for free from you!

I get angry when I see sh1t like this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra View Post
places you should NEVER take your e46:

fiirestone\bridgestone, meineke, midas, jiffy lube, pep boys, and some others that may be local to you guys or that i forgot. glad it all worked out, though
+1

Glad to see it worked out!

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE ALL MY MODS:

http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...rMod&UcId=7917

Last edited by delmarco; 08-01-2012 at 01:09 PM.
delmarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 01:15 PM   #111
avincent52

My Ride: 325iT 5 speed/Sport
Quote:
Yes I am very pleased with the result. It wasted a lot of my time but I mentally prepared and budgeted as if I had to spend $6000 myself. Now that I don't I sort of feel like I won a small lottery.

Can't thank the community here enough
Glad it worked out for you.
And the guys here were a huge help in getting an insurance settlement on my 325iT, from tactical advice in dealing with the adjuster, to helping me find solid, high dollar wagon comparables.
avincent52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 01:37 PM   #112
szinski

My Ride: 2004 BMW 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarco View Post
- CV joint replaced - under $100
- alignment -ALWAYS free with replacement of tires or suspension parts
I think your estimates are a little on the low side. A genuine BMW front CV axle costs $646. OEM part runs about $300. Cheap made-in-China part runs about $100. Those are online prices and without labor, seals, and differential oil.

Regarding alignment, I've never heard of a free alignment with new tires. A 4-wheel alignment runs about $75.

I'm doing both of my front axles myself for about $600 in parts (OEM parts). That includes new oil and seals.
szinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 06:31 PM   #113
epfenninger

My Ride: 2001 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonbimmer View Post
oil changes done there.
I bet you never heard of something called BMW LL-01
I work at Sears Autocenter and would trust my coworkers to do this to my car. I know a lot about my car and cars in general and thought I would know more then them when I got there but I really don't. It's better than an independent since they stand behind their work and can't "run away". And I don't put BMW oil in my car cause it is unnecessary, and I take very good care of my car, sooooo yeah. Oh and if you think you are all high and mighty and believe you know more about this car and engine, I'm sure you are wrong haha.

Last edited by epfenninger; 11-13-2013 at 06:32 PM.
epfenninger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 08:27 PM   #114
stevenluczynski

My Ride: Is Steel Blue<3
$3000+ in maintenance and repairs...then auto transmission breaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by epfenninger View Post
I work at Sears Autocenter and would trust my coworkers to do this to my car. I know a lot about my car and cars in general and thought I would know more then them when I got there but I really don't. It's better than an independent since they stand behind their work and can't "run away". And I don't put BMW oil in my car cause it is unnecessary, and I take very good care of my car, sooooo yeah. Oh and if you think you are all high and mighty and believe you know more about this car and engine, I'm sure you are wrong haha.
You're the one bumping an old ass thread..

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 11-13-2013, 08:32 PM   #115
epfenninger

My Ride: 2001 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenluczynski View Post
You're the one bumping an old ass thread..

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Alright... Cool
epfenninger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 08:33 PM   #116
zxxzvzxcbxzcbzxc
Banned User

Wow sounds like you got a lemon! Ahhh!
zxxzvzxcbxzcbzxc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 08:35 PM   #117
zxxzvzxcbxzcbzxc
Banned User

Quote:
All,

The ordeal has finally concluded. I'm happy to say that Firestone paid 100% of the bill. They had a second claims adjuster come out and he verified that the damages occurred due to Firestone's improper installation of the right-front CV axle and lead to the breaking of the transmission.

$6000 in damages.

What happened
Firestone installed a CV axle that was aftermarket and was 1/16th of an inch too big. Instead of stopping right then and there, they decided to jam it in with a blunt object, likely a hammer. They completely destroyed the bearing and partially the transfer case. When the CV axle popped out it lead to the below scenario:

I lost power to the vehicle and I brought the vehicle to a stop. I put the vehicle in park. Even though the vehicle was not in motion the transmission internals were still freewheeling. When I put it in park the parking pawl snapped and got sucked into the transmission causing it to break.

I can't thank you guys enough for giving me the knowledge to state my case and stick to my story. It was invaluable in the claims process.

Here is a picture of the vehicle you guys indirectly saved ( I may have had to trade it in if I had to pay $6k myself) . It is a little dirty but I wanted to provide closure to this thread while I have free time.

P.S. Anyone want to recommend a reliable shop in northern New Jersey? I live near Parsippany and Morristown.

Just found your explanation. Glad it all worked out! Sounds like a nightmare!
zxxzvzxcbxzcbzxc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 09:19 PM   #118
wildirish317

My Ride: 2004 325Ci vert
Morals of the story:

Quote:
The indy shop I brought it to does not see many BMWs.
Quote:
FYI it's Firestone, I'm not sure if anyone has gone through their claims process...
  1. If you use an indy shop instead of BMW, use one that does work regulary on BMWs and Mercedes.
  2. Firestone (or any tire store) is okay for suspension and brakes, but limit using them to those areas. My tire store recommended me to a transmission shop when I had a differential noise (in my Kia).

“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.”
wildirish317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 07:41 PM   #119
B Evil

My Ride: 2003 325XI
So.... Nothing like resurrecting an old and dead thread huh... Everyone always says to use the search function so here I am. Finally found a thread though that sounds a lot like the issues I am having. Heading out now to check the CV Shafts as the car is on jack stands in the garage at the moment. So when going from Drive or Reverse to Park, there is a brief grinding noise. Crawled underneath while the Mrs. shifted from Reverse to Park for me and the noise is a bit difficult to pin point. It is either the transfer case or the rear of the transmission. Even with a stethoscope, it is hard to tell for certain. After reading through this thread, one question came to mind, what is a Parking Pawl? Is this possibly the grinding noise I hear shifting into Park?

Other important details - 2003 325XI Automatic 158k Miles.
Changed Transmission Filter and Fluid - No shavings, No burnt smell
Changed Front Differential Fluid - No Shavings
Changed Transfer Case Fluid - Also No Shavings

In a way, I was hoping to find a broken piece of anything come out of the transmission just so I could have some sort of closure to this issue I have been researching for about a month or more now. But this thread may have been just what I was looking for.

Any description for the Parking Pawl that may aid in my diagnosis??

Off to the garage now

Thanks in advance!!
B Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 07:41 PM   #120
B Evil

My Ride: 2003 325XI
So.... Nothing like resurrecting an old and dead thread huh... Everyone always says to use the search function so here I am. Finally found a thread though that sounds a lot like the issues I am having. Heading out now to check the CV Shafts as the car is on jack stands in the garage at the moment. So when going from Drive or Reverse to Park, there is a brief grinding noise. Crawled underneath while the Mrs. shifted from Reverse to Park for me and the noise is a bit difficult to pin point. It is either the transfer case or the rear of the transmission. Even with a stethoscope, it is hard to tell for certain. After reading through this thread, one question came to mind, what is a Parking Pawl? Is this possibly the grinding noise I hear shifting into Park?

Other important details - 2003 325XI Automatic 158k Miles.
Changed Transmission Filter and Fluid - No shavings, No burnt smell
Changed Front Differential Fluid - No Shavings
Changed Transfer Case Fluid - Also No Shavings

In a way, I was hoping to find a broken piece of anything come out of the transmission just so I could have some sort of closure to this issue I have been researching for about a month or more now. But this thread may have been just what I was looking for.

Any description for the Parking Pawl that may aid in my diagnosis??

Off to the garage now

Thanks in advance!!
B Evil is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
e46, transmission