E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 68 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-01-2012, 03:16 PM   #21
trj

My Ride: 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac_2007 View Post
Yes, PLEASE someone post how to do this.

I'll paypal you $5 if you can.
Resetting Adaptations

Not sure if this what you want to reset, but here is how I reset my adaptation.

Sorry AC2007, took me so long to take the screenshot(you asked me to post a screenshot in another thread somewhere). I just went to check SES light(O2 sensors are crapping out) in the car and got these shots while I was at it.

Here are the steps:

DME-> Reprogramming -> EWS-DME adaptations -> Yes -> Wait for a couple of seconds -> Done

Do I get $5 now?
Old 08-01-2012, 03:25 PM   #22
alpine003

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceberq View Post
whoaaa sooo

If I use this, and uncheck the "HOT check" and "COLD check" for the front turn signals, does this mean I can install LED turn signal lights, not use resistors, and still not throw an error? That would be awesome. If somebody has done this, please let me know.
I've done this but mainly because I had a flickering issue when I upgraded to all LED's and this solved that issue.

Also to note, I have made it a point to turn off my heated side mirror feature during the summer as I believe this heating element is what makes the mirror glass prematurely deteriororate and go yellow/brown around the edges. Warm climate folks like in AZ should turn this off all together.

1 touch unlock on all doors was another convenience to switch to as I have never needed to just unlock 1 door only for any particular reason.
Old 08-01-2012, 04:12 PM   #23
Wolrab

My Ride: 330Ci MT, 545i SMG
Send a message via Skype™ to Wolrab
I believe that the 2006 lighting control module is capable of flashing the turn signals 3 times, for a momentary touch of the switch. Anybody know how to enable that feature? I can't find it in any of the screens. I think it can be done with NCSExpert, but that carries its own set of risks. Thanks...
Old 08-01-2012, 04:13 PM   #24
iceberq

My Ride: 02 LSB M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpine003 View Post
I've done this but mainly because I had a flickering issue when I upgraded to all LED's and this solved that issue.

Also to note, I have made it a point to turn off my heated side mirror feature during the summer as I believe this heating element is what makes the mirror glass prematurely deteriororate and go yellow/brown around the edges. Warm climate folks like in AZ should turn this off all together.

1 touch unlock on all doors was another convenience to switch to as I have never needed to just unlock 1 door only for any particular reason.
That's awesome! Can you confirm 100% that you don't have any error-cancelling resistors in use now? I'm installing LED corner lights from Khoalty soon and I'd rather not have the resistor running super hot in my engine bay.
Old 08-01-2012, 04:14 PM   #25
bAby norAA

My Ride: 01 BMW 330i
Quote:
whoaaa sooo

If I use this, and uncheck the "HOT check" and "COLD check" for the front turn signals, does this mean I can install LED turn signal lights, not use resistors, and still not throw an error? That would be awesome. If somebody has done this, please let me know.
Yes they will no longer throw error codes, but they will more then likely still blink fast if the car doesnt see the same voltage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trj
Resetting Adaptations

Sorry AC2007, took me so long to take the screenshot(you asked me to post a screenshot in another thread somewhere). I just went to check SES light(O2 sensors are crapping out) in the car and got these shots while I was at it.

Here are the steps:

DME-> Reprogramming -> EWS-DME adaptations -> Yes -> Wait for a couple of seconds -> Done
Great find Trj. I was unable to find this as well.

As far as being able to reset the adaptations, it is needed sometimes after a new part is installed, not just for the drivers driving adaptations. When i installed my brand new MAF sensor the car would barely run after a couple miles. I reset the adapatations and it ran like a charm.

| VF Supercharged Stage 1.5| Southbend Stage 2 Clutch | ZHP Cams | Technik Headers |
bAby norAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 04:23 PM   #26
alpine003

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
That's awesome! Can you confirm 100% that you don't have any error-cancelling resistors in use now? I'm installing LED corner lights from Khoalty soon and I'd rather not have the resistor running super hot in my engine bay.
The only resistors I have are for my turn signals so that they blink at normal speeds.

I think when the cold and hot check was switched on, it was sending minute voltage signals to the bulbs and since LED's are more sensitive and require less juice to turn on, it was causing them to flicker during these checks.
Old 08-01-2012, 04:27 PM   #27
iceberq

My Ride: 02 LSB M3
Thanks for the feedback, alpine003 and bAby norAA
Old 08-01-2012, 05:16 PM   #28
ac_2007

My Ride: E46 - M3 & 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by trj View Post
Resetting Adaptations

Here are the steps:

Do I get $5 now?
This doesn't reset fuel trim adaptations, it just realigns the EWS with the DME.
I needed this feature after flashing my DME to EU2, since it wouldn't start due to security reasons (mismatching data between the two modules)

Thanks for the effort though
Old 08-01-2012, 06:28 PM   #29
trj

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac_2007 View Post
This doesn't reset fuel trim adaptations, it just realigns the EWS with the DME.
I needed this feature after flashing my DME to EU2, since it wouldn't start due to security reasons (mismatching data between the two modules)

Thanks for the effort though
I know ac, I was just joking with you. I had to do the same(reset) when I pulled out the relays in the external fuse box and after that it wouldnt start.

On a serious note, I tried fiddling around with many settings but couldnt find anything related to fuel trim adaptations. Sorry.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:04 PM   #30
steve.325i

My Ride: 2003 325i
OP - Great thread. Thank you.
steve.325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 12:19 AM   #31
trj

Quote:
Originally Posted by bAby norAA View Post
Yes they will no longer throw error codes, but they will more then likely still blink fast if the car doesnt see the same voltage.

Great find Trj. I was unable to find this as well.

As far as being able to reset the adaptations, it is needed sometimes after a new part is installed, not just for the drivers driving adaptations. When i installed my brand new MAF sensor the car would barely run after a couple miles. I reset the adapatations and it ran like a charm.

Anytime you do some electrical work under the hood, reset the EWS-DME adaptations. Thats what I have learnt. Just unplugging and plugging back a relay under the hood made my car unable to start.
Looked for one hour for the culprit and found this fix on a hunch.
Old 08-02-2012, 07:59 AM   #32
TRIPLE_O

My Ride: E46 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolrab View Post
I believe that the 2006 lighting control module is capable of flashing the turn signals 3 times, for a momentary touch of the switch. Anybody know how to enable that feature? I can't find it in any of the screens. I think it can be done with NCSExpert, but that carries its own set of risks. Thanks...
The 2006 is able to do this but you will need NCS to enable it.

3 Series Owners Manuals
http://www.bmwsections.com/docs/3series/

For Sale (Exterior Lights)

..sincerely Jenny
TRIPLE_O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:20 AM   #33
KaliVertBoy

My Ride: M3 Vert 6MT
Sub'd

Interior Pioneer avic z2--brushed aluminum vinyled trim--wind deflecter
Exterior Csl front bumper--Gold CSL reps--Macht Schnell spacers 18mmf/10mmr--Ebay trunk spoiler
Performance Macht Schnell intake elbow--K&N drop in--Manzo Headers (still in box lol)-- TCKline/Ground Control Coilovers
Lighting OEM LED taillight retrofit w/ amber vinyl--Chris Brown mod--3500k H7's--6000k morimoto D2s's--6000k ccfl angel eyes--LED's everywhere
KaliVertBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 02:29 AM   #34
xcar360
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: BMW 318i
maybe xcar360's online service can give your some support.

http://www.xcar360.com/bmw-scanner-1...scan-tool.html
xcar360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:57 AM   #35
SpoonerDee

My Ride: 2005 E46
Quote:
I have done this for my front and rear turn signals, works fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bAby norAA View Post
I do not have resistors on mine and they blink at the normal rate once I disabled the cold and hot check.

For best visibility get the tower style bulbs.
SpoonerDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:09 AM   #36
Wickedly

My Ride: BMW 2003 325i
did u guys had an extra battery charger plug in while doing all of this?
Wickedly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:19 AM   #37
ac_2007

My Ride: E46 - M3 & 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wickedly View Post
did u guys had an extra battery charger plug in while doing all of this?
No. Its not as power hungry as NCS or WinKFP for example.

Some of the coding can even be done with the engine running.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:20 AM   #38
Wickedly

My Ride: BMW 2003 325i
Thanks
Wickedly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 06:25 PM   #39
dknightd

My Ride: 2002 330 cic
I'm trying to figure out to have my seat and mirrors automatically move to saved positions when the car is unlocked using the key remote.
The owners manual says that the car can be programmed to do this.

I have searched through all the PA Soft menus. I do not see this option.
Anybody know where it is, and how this is done? Maybe it is just missing in my version
(it seems there are lots of different versions of what people can do using the same software . . .)

Thanks
dknightd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:31 PM   #40
Jperry666

My Ride: 2002 325i 5spd
When I set my alarm settings to acoustic I still don't get any beep from the car? All the light settings work just not the beep ??

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Bimmer App
Jperry666 is offline   Reply With Quote