E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-02-2012, 02:08 PM   #161
Mulrich07

My Ride: 2004 325Ci
Yeah there is only 1 per side... Thats why I thought I have the wrong one. I haven't pulled mine off yet so I don't know if it's the same or not
Mulrich07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 02:12 PM   #162
trj

My Ride: 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulrich07 View Post
Yeah there is only 1 per side... Thats why I thought I have the wrong one. I haven't pulled mine off yet so I don't know if it's the same or not
Yah thats the wrong one then. There should be 2 tubes sticking out from each end. Get Mahle or Kayser, both are OEs. Check rmeuropean and bmaparts. They have real good pricing and free shipping after a certain amount.
Old 08-02-2012, 02:51 PM   #163
Mulrich07

that's what I thought... dang. I need one by tomorrow... well not needed, but I'd like one. Having this weird p0461 code. However, the gauge reads fine, it just seems slow/underpower right now.
Old 08-02-2012, 03:07 PM   #164
trj

My Ride: 325Ci
Too bad, but that code may be from the fuel pump. The fuel level senders are in the pump. There is a test in hidden OBD menu, search for the same and check the units.
There are a couple of threads here and bimmerforums about this code. Check them out.

Although replacing the fuel filter is always good, but it may not solve your issue if its sensor in the fuel pump.
Old 08-02-2012, 03:11 PM   #165
Mulrich07

I replaced the pump last night, went out and it threw it again. It is weird. If I baby it it won't throw the code, however if I stomp on it and it gets above 4k it'll throw it. Kinda sucks for climbing a hill or merging on the highway.

I did the hidden tests, and the left side read 1.7L in it with 3/4 fuel left.... which it should read all but 0 if not 0 itself. Haven't retried the test yet with the new pump.

Last edited by Mulrich07; 08-02-2012 at 03:22 PM.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:52 PM   #166
adaseb

My Ride: 2002 BMW 320i
Good DIY however a few things to note.

Pulling the fuse, does nothing. After I pulled the hose which was mounted closer to the engine, a HUGE load of gasoline squirted right into my head. Very high pressure.

Second, when you disconnect the hoses on the other end, fuel will non-stop come out of that end. I waited 5-10 mins and it never stopped, had to reinstall the new one to stop the flow. Lost of gas was wasted.

Third, you should buy 3 new hose clamps because those stocks one you can only lossen but can't retighten.

Fourth, sometimes putting the car from 2nd to 3rd in the ignition doesn't always help. I must of purged the system like 10 times, when started it ran like crap for 30 seconds before stabilising.
adaseb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 02:12 PM   #167
TJ69

My Ride: 328CI
Great DIY
Old 09-29-2012, 11:37 PM   #168
generic

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330ci
Awesome diy

Sent from my DROID3 using Bimmer App
generic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 12:32 AM   #169
littlegti

My Ride: 2002 330ci conv
Send a message via Skype™ to littlegti
Quote:
Originally Posted by adaseb View Post
Good DIY however a few things to note.

Pulling the fuse, does nothing. After I pulled the hose which was mounted closer to the engine, a HUGE load of gasoline squirted right into my head. Very high pressure.

Second, when you disconnect the hoses on the other end, fuel will non-stop come out of that end. I waited 5-10 mins and it never stopped, had to reinstall the new one to stop the flow. Lost of gas was wasted.

Third, you should buy 3 new hose clamps because those stocks one you can only lossen but can't retighten.

Fourth, sometimes putting the car from 2nd to 3rd in the ignition doesn't always help. I must of purged the system like 10 times, when started it ran like crap for 30 seconds before stabilising.
I replaced my filter last month and here are a couple tips that address some of the above.

1. after pulling the fuse, start the engine and let it run until it stalls. This will relieve the high pressure in the line.

2. the two hoses at the back of the fuel filter come from the two gas tanks. The reason fuel stops flowing from one hose but not the other is likely because you have less than 1/2 a tank of gas but not an empty tank. I would recommend performing this when the tank is nearly empty to reduce the flow.

hope this helps.
littlegti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:51 PM   #170
DRE97

My Ride: 330CiC and 328 Xi
I replaced the fuel filter today. Had about one gallon in the tank so I thought this would be a good time to change the filter.

Removed the fuse and started the car. This didn't do much except to warm the car up.

Once car cooled down, removed the old filter. Didn't need any clamps and had minimal gas spill. Only about a 1/2 cup.

Reinstalled new filter. Reinstalled the fuse. Turn the key to #2 about five times with about a 5 second wait between each attempt, and then started up the car. Ran perfect.
Drove down to get a 1/2 of gas. All is good.
Over all took about 1 hour to complete this project.

Good DIY.
DRE97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:19 PM   #171
HerbicidE46

My Ride: 2000 323i
Great DIY and Pics are very helpful,because of this thread I'm definiteley doing my fuel filter change next weekend, thanks, excellent job!!
HerbicidE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 05:27 PM   #172
sdun

My Ride: '04 325i
You can go to Orileys and ask for a fuel pressure regulator. It will be in a Borg Warner box part #24056. Open the box and you will find a Kayser fuel filter w/ built in regulator for around 55 to 60 bucks.
sdun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:31 PM   #173
Chocolate Lab

My Ride: 2000 328i black 5-sp
Just did this and thought I'd throw in my two cents... Never know when your experience might help someone...

-- Like most people, I find this to be one of those jobs that would be so much easier with a lift as opposed to just jack stands with the work about six inches in front of your face. Pretty awkward at times, but it still wasn't too bad.

-- Again like most, I couldn't get to or find the front shield fasteners, so I just bent it out of the way. No problem.

-- I have a 2000, so my car uses the simpler "1 in, 1 out" filter. I thought this would make the job a lot easier, but one little snag... I thought there was a short fuel hose on the front of the filter that connected to fuel line, just as on the back. I didn't realize that the front had a long hose that ran up beyond where I could see. Maybe they're all that way and I just missed something. I used the old hose anyway... And actually did the same thing on the rear as it seemed to be in okay shape.

-- Speaking of fuel hose, the guy at Advance tried to sell me regular cheap fuel hose even though I insisted I needed more robust fuel injection line. He insisted just as much this was the right stuff. So be aware out there of the counter people who don't know what they're doing. (I got the right stuff at Oreilly's and then ended up not even using it, as mentioned above.)

-- Hardest part of the job was getting the hose off the old filter. At first I thought it was completely welded on there and I'd have to cut it off, and because I didn't know what to do about the front, I was really stumped for a few minutes. But a little WD40, a few minute wait, and some pliers, and it came off fairly easily.

-- When I pulled the hose off, only a little bit of gas came out -- no crazy spraying. Pulled the front first, and some shot backwards, but not much. Just some a little ran out of the back.

-- My car has 180k miles on it, and the filter was original, production date 9/99(!)... I was pretty surprised that the gas that came out the front actually looked pretty clean. Of course when I turned it over, I got the black stuff you've seen in the vids.

-- Strange thing happened: One of my hose clamps wouldn't tighten down. It started to, but then I just turned and turned the screw and nothing happened. Because it was on the front hose where I couldn't see, I'm not sure what was going on. Had one more in my package and it worked fine. Weird.

-- When done, I went to position 2 on the ignition several times, for several seconds each, and the car started right back up, no problems.

-- Was anyone else half expecting to see a leak when they first checked with the car running? Maybe I'm just a pessimist. But everything seemed okay.

-- Like a lot of people have seen, there's now a drastic difference in my idle. I was at maybe 700 RPMs with some bouncing at first, especially when cold. Now I'm at a dead solid 950-1000 with no movement. I'd thought I had a small vacuum leak or needed to check my idle control valve, but maybe this is all it was. Cool. Can't wait to check that as well as my gas mileage going forward.

-- Thanks again to everyone who posts DIY stuff on here. It really helps noob mechanics like me who a few years ago couldn't do much of anything to his car beyond oil changes. No telling how much money this site has saved people over the years.

Last edited by Chocolate Lab; 03-23-2013 at 06:33 PM.
Chocolate Lab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:27 PM   #174
nughaud

My Ride: '01 330CI / '11 335i
I'm glad people still use this, and I can't believe I posted it back in 2005.
I still have my car '01 330Ci with 222k miles on it and while the engine is ok, I either have large coolant leak at highway speed or possibly a gasket leak. I think it's time to get rid of her, and so with that, I moved on to my new ride.

I just purchased a 2011 LCI 335i M Sport with 22k miles, and I think I got a great deal. Once I drove a newer 335i, I was sold, and then it was just a matter of time before I decided which one I wanted. I'm sure I'll be doing some more DIYs in the future, but these cars don't seem to allow as much DIY mechanical ability as the older ones.

I guess time will tell, thanks for utilizing the DIYs. I'll surely do more, but the car still has the factory warranty until 50k or April '15, so until then!
Old 03-25-2013, 04:02 AM   #175
Linx

My Ride: '02 BMW 325iT
Did this today. One thing I noticed reading through this thread is the people who didn't pull the fuse and starve the car seemed to have less fuel flow out. So I didn't pull the fuse or starve the car and sure enough I had a little over a cup come out and most of it was from the filter. Anyways all went easy for me except for pulling off the clamp from the front hose. The clamp was turned up and difficult to reach especially with the plate just bent down. It was a pain in the ass to get loose but once I did the rest went smooth. The old filter dumped out dark black fuel. I did this at my parents house and the average mpg's I would get driving to my house was between 15-17. After changing the filter, driving the same distance under same traffic conditions and same average speed I got a reading of 23.5 mpg. The old filter was original and my car is a 2002 touring with 105k on it. So far thats all I drove and wondering if that reading is correct. I'll know tomorgrow after driving some more. But the car is definitely driving a lot smoother with better throttle response. Thanks for the DIY.
Linx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:08 AM   #176
ThatGuy_JZ

My Ride: '02 Steel Blue 325Ci
Send a message via AIM to ThatGuy_JZ
Changed mine @ 50k and the gas coming out of it was black. Also it was the cause of cold start issues. The car would crank, die immediately, then run fine. Replacing the filter solved that issue.

Just changed it again @110k miles the other week. Gas coming out of it this time was clean and clear gasoline. No dirt or junk like there was before. I thought that was interesting.

It's a good idea to replace those hose clamps with more conventional ones, and also suggested to replace the rubber fuel line with new. That's all up to you though.

Oh yeah, protect your eyes. Gas will spray out like crazy when you first disconnect.

Last edited by ThatGuy_JZ; 03-25-2013 at 09:10 AM.
ThatGuy_JZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:50 PM   #177
Chris3Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linx View Post
Did this today. One thing I noticed reading through this thread is the people who didn't pull the fuse and starve the car seemed to have less fuel flow out. So I didn't pull the fuse or starve the car and sure enough I had a little over a cup come out and most of it was from the filter. Anyways all went easy for me except for pulling off the clamp from the front hose. The clamp was turned up and difficult to reach especially with the plate just bent down. It was a pain in the ass to get loose but once I did the rest went smooth. The old filter dumped out dark black fuel. I did this at my parents house and the average mpg's I would get driving to my house was between 15-17. After changing the filter, driving the same distance under same traffic conditions and same average speed I got a reading of 23.5 mpg. The old filter was original and my car is a 2002 touring with 105k on it. So far thats all I drove and wondering if that reading is correct. I'll know tomorgrow after driving some more. But the car is definitely driving a lot smoother with better throttle response. Thanks for the DIY.
This seems to be correct. I didn't mess with starving the car, and didn't have much come out.

I need to play around, though, as I think I screwed up the shield or foam water block thingie. When driving at high speeds through heavy rain, I get really weird behavior (like a droning or something, and the engine behaves poorly).
Chris3Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:43 PM   #178
Buck Henry

My Ride: 2001 330ci Convertib
Another fuel filter change-out survivor! Job was pretty straight forward and I had minimal gas spillage. But I still did this job out in the driveway versus the garage to prevent stinking up the house with gas fumes. Car has 77K miles on it, but the gas that came out of the input side of the filter was pretty much clean and clear.

PS: a 5mm nut driver is the ticket for removing and reinstalling the factory hose clamps.
Buck Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 11:48 AM   #179
avneet

My Ride: 2001 330ci Vert
Any site specific you guys suggest to buy this from? Want to make sure I am getting the OEM one and not an aftermarket one.
Old 12-08-2013, 05:20 PM   #180
delmarco

My Ride: 330i
Send a message via ICQ to delmarco Send a message via Yahoo to delmarco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linx View Post
Wow. I may have to do this.

I get poor MPGs in the city like 15mpgs but great country/suburban mpgs (upper 20s/low 30s hwy)

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE ALL MY MODS:

http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...rMod&UcId=7917
delmarco is offline   Reply With Quote