E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2012, 09:06 PM   #1
Locutus09

My Ride: Something Slow
Diet to burn fat

I'm currently in my phase 2 of P90x2 and trying my best to follow the diet to the best of my ability.

Right now, I'm eating ~45% carbs, 25% Protein and 30% Fat daily intake with ~2600 calories

I know I need to be around 20% fat in order to start reducing, but it seems like it's damn impossible. I realize that going out with co-workers and eating lunch (even with it being "healthy" and "light" meals) is killing me.

I'm 6' 1", 177 lbs, 21 yrs old and 15.8% body fat. How much more body fat do I need to shed until I can start seeing an results in abs? I realize that abs are made in the kitchen, but I've really been careful of what I eat and when.

Everything else is starting to form together, but the belly is still there...and frustrating.

Much appreciated.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:49 PM   #2
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
who told you that? They are wrong.

You can be at 40, 20, 40 and lose fat. Fat will not make you fat as much as the carbs you're probably eating will.

Post your diet now. All meals and be detailed.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:58 PM   #3
zikhkd

My Ride: AMG
Send a message via AIM to zikhkd
I read fish oil omega 3 capsules help you burn fat also, I take one everyday with a meal. drink tons of water, and watch your carbs (having quality carbs)
Old 08-02-2012, 09:58 PM   #4
fu98

My Ride: 2002 m3 6mt
i think a sledge hammer, tire and 20 minutes are due here!
fu98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:04 PM   #5
redrider423

My Ride: 2005 BMW M3 6MT Vert
8-10% can show abs. Don't fear fat. You have to have it. Watch the carbs. I stay around 30% carbs 45% protein 25% fat. Lean fats like from fish and chicken.
redrider423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:04 PM   #6
Locutus09

Good to know.

My phone crapped out on me a couple days ago, where I was tracking everything. Here are the past 2 days:

WED:
Total Fat: 90g
Saturated: 32g
Polyunsaturated: 1g
Monounsaturated: 5g

Cholesterol: 269mg
Sodium: 4054mg
Potassium: 2844mg

Total Carbs: 212g
Dietary Fiber: 16g
Sugars: 87g

Protein: 127g
Vitamin A: 67%
Vitamin C: 125%
Calcium: 155%
Iron: 49%

THURS:
Saturated: 34g
Monounsaturated: 6g

Cholesterol: 1390mg
Sodium: 1690mg
Potassium: 1808mg

Total Carbs: 290g
Dietary Fiber: 19g
Sugars: 86g

Protein: 159g
Vitamin A: 94%
Vitamin C: 266%
Calcium: 165%
Iron: 78%
Old 08-02-2012, 10:06 PM   #7
redrider423

Not enuf protein bro. 1.5 to 2 grams per lb of body. This will help fuel you growth and maintain you lean muscle mass. Supplement BCAA's in your diet too. The more lean muscle you have the fat your gonna incinerate.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:13 PM   #8
Locutus09

How many grams of protein should I be looking?

I'm having protein shakes at 40g every time I'm done w/ a workout.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:40 PM   #9
redrider423

If you weigh 177. Then consume at least 265 grams a day. It sound like a lot. But it's not really. Schedule yourself to eat at least 6 meals a days. 2-3 hours apart. You can make two of those protein shakes. I do anyway. When my feet hit the floor in the morning I drink 16 oz of milk and a scoop of Syntha 6. Here's my diet.

Upon waking:
16oz nonfat milk
1 scoop Syntha 6
( on leg days I will blend in 1/2 of oatmeal)

30-45 mins later
1 cup of egg whites
2 slices of turkey bacon
1 slice Ezekiel bread

1 hour later:
1 scoop 1MR
Hit the gym. I sip on Blox Bccas and drink water during the workout.

Immediately after workout
16oz nonfat milk
1 scoop Syntha 6
Fish oil capsules

2-3 hours later
6 oz chicken breast
1/2 cup steamed broccoli
2 oz cooked pasta of your choice

2-3 hours later
8 oz of salmon
1/2 steamed broccoli
1 cup brown rice

Before bed
16 oz milk
1/2 scoop of Caisen protein powder. I use the six star nutrition from Walmart
Old 08-02-2012, 10:42 PM   #10
fu98

My Ride: 2002 m3 6mt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locutus09 View Post
Good to know.

My phone crapped out on me a couple days ago, where I was tracking everything. Here are the past 2 days:

WED:

THURS:

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrider423 View Post
If you weigh 177. Then consume at least 265 grams a day. It sound like a lot. But it's not really. Schedule yourself to eat at least 6 meals a days. 2-3 hours apart. You can make two of those protein shakes. I do anyway. When my feet hit the floor in the morning I drink 16 oz of milk and a scoop of Syntha 6. Here's my diet.

Upon waking:
16oz nonfat milk
1 scoop Syntha 6
( on leg days I will blend in 1/2 of oatmeal)

30-45 mins later
1 cup of egg whites
2 slices of turkey bacon
1 slice Ezekiel bread

1 hour later:
1 scoop 1MR
Hit the gym. I sip on Blox Bccas and drink water during the workout.

Immediately after workout
16oz nonfat milk
1 scoop Syntha 6
Fish oil capsules

2-3 hours later
6 oz chicken breast
1/2 cup steamed broccoli
2 oz cooked pasta of your choice

2-3 hours later
8 oz of salmon
1/2 steamed broccoli
1 cup brown rice

Before bed
16 oz milk
1/2 scoop of Caisen protein powder. I use the six star nutrition from Walmart
damn you guys are motivated.. i am lucky to remember to put on deodorant and brush my teeth when i get up in the morning.
fu98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 11:14 PM   #11
redrider423

Lol. It's a rough life.
Old 08-03-2012, 09:13 AM   #12
Mike Larry

My Ride: 575 nello
265 grams of protein for a dude that weighs 177 and is trying to cut is overkill imo. 150-200 grams would be enough
Old 08-03-2012, 09:38 AM   #13
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Good to know.

WED:

THURS:

I didn't ask for that.

Post the foods. I don't care about iron consumption. Give me the break down of p,c,f
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:49 AM   #14
dabears

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
When you are first starting out... you have to try and keep it simple... I'll do my best to do that while still being informative.

You need 1g of protein per bodyweight, so 177g of protein per day. 1.5/2 is overkill and will just come out in the bathroom.

Carbs like starches & especially sugar make you fat. Bodyfat is stored by a complex system, but essentially when your glucose stores (from carbs) are full, and you eat more carbs, your body stores the excess energy as body fat. It only takes 10% or less carbs a day to keep glucose levels peaked... unless you are doing serious athletic challenges like marathons etc. For most people with desk jobs and a healthy exercise regimen, you'll be fine.

If you want to burn fat, here is my tried and true method (I have gone from 20% after one bulk and 17% bf after another bulk back down to 10-11% within 5-6 months). Slow fat loss is very important, otherwise you will be losing muscle tissue rapidly. Trust me, it sucks.

Concentrate on each meals composition. Learn what foods have what nutrients. Cook at home as much as possible, because preservatives believe it or not make you fat as well. Read ingredients. Shop around the outside of the grocery store... buying fresh produce, fresh meats (no packaged/preserved), and if you must fresh bread etc. Try not to buy anything from the aisles, if you must ... read the ingredients. Organic labels usually mean they have a lot less crap like starches, maltodextrin, high fructose corn syrup, dextrose, potato starch... you'll be amazed the kind of weird ingredients are in things.

Each meal should have a protein source (breakfast you have eggs, 1 or 2 slices of bacon, etc). Do not be scared of fat, but respect it. It has more than twice the calories than carbs/protein per gram... 9 calories per gram of fat, compared to 4 for protein/carbs. It adds up quick.

You need to limit your carb intake to 20-30% per day. These carbs should be made up of complex grains like wild rice, 12 grain bread etc, quinoa, etc. I'd love if you stopped eating wheat altogether so you could see the dramatic effect it has on fat loss, but I'll assume that's out of the question.

Cook with olive oil or coconut oil, switch off. Coconut oil has a high smoke point (where it burns/smokes) so is great for cooking at high temperatures (steaks on a pan etc).

You are eating way too many calories. Based on the info you provided, you should be at 2300/day to maintain current weight. In order to lose a lb a week (one lb of fat = 3500 calories burned) you need to be below your maintenance level by 500 calories a day. This is safe, effective weight loss. It's not a sprint, its a marathon.

So based on all that... here you go:

Non-Workout Days

1700 Calories Total
170g protein (40%)
85g carbs (20%)
75g fat (40%)

Not all nutrients are made the same. The best source of carbs is from vegetables, things like brocolli, cauliflower, etc. Learn to love these. Sweet potatoes on occasion, same with quinoa, wild rice, 12 grain breads etc. Get your proteins from eggs, chicken breast, lean cuts of steak, turkey, tuna, salmon, halibut etc. Fats from olive oil, the fish you eat, take 2 omega 3 fish oil supplement twice a day, coconut oil/milk, bacon, egg yolk etc.

On workout days you follow the same guideline, however you can eat an extra post workout meal for around 250 calories, mostly protein.

You want to do 3 days a week of weights, and 2-3 days of HIIT cardio (google it). The workout below says 40 minutes... you should start at around 12-14 minutes and work your way up in intensity. You should be dead at the end.

This one has worked for me in the past: http://www.muscleandstrength.com/wor...g-workout.html

The main thing you need to learn to do in order to lose weight AND KEEP IT OFF... get used to cooking. Embrace it. Learn new recipes, new methods of cooking the same old food (chicken breast especially), otherwise you will fail because nobody likes eating crappy tasting bland food every single meal. You will start to cheat and de-rail.

One thing that works for me at my office job is that I cook dinner most nights and then bring the leftovers to lunch the next day. Stop going out for lunch every single day, this is probably the greatest change you can make. Pick a day (mines friday) where you join coworkers and be social... Nobody wants to have to be completely cut off from the world just to lose a couple lbs. This is all about sustainable, liveable weight loss.

While i respect redriders diet and determination, for the majority of people it won't work... they won't follow it.

You need to do this for at least 4 months straight to notice a serious improvement. You won't notice anything for at least a month, don't get discouraged.

Pick a day, and weigh yourself every week in the morning after a piss on this day. Track your weight loss, see the results on the scale, and eventually in the mirror.

Dieting isn't comfortable, but it doesn't have to rule your life.

Hope that helps! I have a sample diet I made for cutting if you'd like me to post it, with macronutrient breakdowns.
Old 08-03-2012, 01:12 PM   #15
redrider423

1.5 grams is by far not overkill. But opinions are a dime a dozen. This is what has worked for me and about 35 of my clients. Its all futile is your not putting in the work at the gym or providing the fuel for you to grow. Just like gimmicks, fad diets and " magic pills". I've seen so many waste their 60 bucks an hour and never see a change simply because I can't regulate the food they throw down their throat. Every person is different genetically and mentally. In the end it comes down to how bad you want it. I think we can all agree that is the cold hard truth.
Old 08-03-2012, 02:03 PM   #16
dabears

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrider423 View Post
1.5 grams is by far not overkill. But opinions are a dime a dozen. This is what has worked for me and about 35 of my clients. Its all futile is your not putting in the work at the gym or providing the fuel for you to grow. Just like gimmicks, fad diets and " magic pills". I've seen so many waste their 60 bucks an hour and never see a change simply because I can't regulate the food they throw down their throat. Every person is different genetically and mentally. In the end it comes down to how bad you want it. I think we can all agree that is the cold hard truth.
I guess overkill is a bad word to use. I just think it would be a struggle for OP to get in that much protein, since he seems to be the average joe eating wise. For his goal to lose his stomach fat, 1g of protein per lb of bw will ensure he maintains his lean mass and cuts the fat. If he were trying to put on muscle (perhaps he is as well) then absolutely 1.5g is better than 1g!

And eating healthy can be very simple, although this subforum takes it much deeper, which I love.
Old 08-03-2012, 03:26 PM   #17
redrider423

Agreed. I have done the P90x myself. It's a terrific form of cardio. I'll give it that. In essence it came out before the whole cross fit revolution occurred. If I had to chose between the two I'd lean towards a cross fit routine for all over toning and fat burning mainly because of the constant use of compound multi muscle group involvement exercises. ESP the dead lift, good mornings and front squats. They fire up your metabolism insanely. P90 has its place though. For beginners it will whip you into shape. I just fear he is solely concentrated on defining his abs instead of an overall be fit agenda. I may be wrong though. Abs really are made in the kitchen. I spent nearly a year loosing that last 3% of body fat. Once it's gone it pretty easy to dispose of again. I tend to stay around 9-11% myself. I don't compete so theres no need to be ripped 24/7. I'm 30 years old and my body doesn't like being in the 8% range like it used too. Lol.
Old 08-03-2012, 04:12 PM   #18
Locutus09

Im happy with the progress I've gotten so far...hence why I continue to do it.

Just didnt know if my eating routine was hurting or not even helping me.

Trust me, im much better than before, and Im only half way through.

Prior I was at the same weight, but no muscle or definition anywhere. With the limited time I have with this internship and just night time...it's the perfect solution to transfer into the gym once college starts up

Sent from my DROID X2 using Bimmer App

Last edited by Locutus09; 08-03-2012 at 04:13 PM.
Locutus09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 04:30 PM   #19
dabears

Quote:
Im happy with the progress I've gotten so far...hence why I continue to do it.

Just didnt know if my eating routine was hurting or not even helping me.

Trust me, im much better than before, and Im only half way through.

Prior I was at the same weight, but no muscle or definition anywhere. With the limited time I have with this internship and just night time...it's the perfect solution to transfer into the gym once college starts up

Sent from my DROID X2 using Bimmer App
I think you'll find at your current bf % that you will stagnate or begin to gain weight with your current diet. Once you are below 16%, the REAL work begins if you want to be cut. You are looking at 6 months of hard work to cut down to about 10%, where abs are noticeable and you look cut.

Make time to cook, make a lot of food when you do have time and eat the leftovers when you don't.
Old 08-03-2012, 05:19 PM   #20
Locutus09

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post
I think you'll find at your current bf % that you will stagnate or begin to gain weight with your current diet. Once you are below 16%, the REAL work begins if you want to be cut. You are looking at 6 months of hard work to cut down to about 10%, where abs are noticeable and you look cut.

Make time to cook, make a lot of food when you do have time and eat the leftovers when you don't.
Sounds like a plan. I gotta buy food from scratch once I get back to my house on campus come a week, time to start fresh.