E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2012, 01:18 PM   #81
HPF Chris
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: 2002 M3, 2006 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by xixixi View Post
Why not make it so the vents are over the hpf logo on the intake manifold? Then everyone knows its hpf car.
Too bad they let children on this forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrejo
i like 6 & 8
Thanks. Those are my choices as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEI330Ci

Poor mkodama...right to the point from an engineering perspective.

Unfortunately he's right.

The area towards the very front of the hood is a low pressure area, then it transitions towards high pressure at the back. The reason why the HVAC inlet is placed where it is, is that it's a high pressure area that literally self feeds as vehicle velocity increases.

If I was going to put a vent at the center, or towards the rear of a hood, I would build a lip before the exit point to help create a low pressure area.

Oh...and to keep a hood down, so it doesn't flap around...you want to seal the back of it close to the windshield. I've seen many race cars (that have gone to great lengths to save ounces from the chassis) have a full OEM rubber strip at the base of the windshield to help keep the hood down at speed.

But...what do I know...I don't have a Doctorate in Engineering. (Heavy jab at mkodama)
Thanks for the feedback.

Chris.

Last edited by HPF Chris; 08-03-2012 at 01:19 PM.
Old 08-03-2012, 02:00 PM   #82
Bdave

My Ride: M3 HPF Stage 3
#6 and #8 (with out the mesh) are safe, almost classic choices. I can easily see either one of those going in to production. I would be happy with either one.

Number one is probably too radical for a mostly conservative BMW ownership we have here. Too bad. I like #1. I still would like to see it as part of a drawing on an entire car.
Old 08-03-2012, 02:04 PM   #83
T0mi

My Ride: E46ci Facelift
I think it's too extreme for a decent E46..
I would prefer something much more simple..
But that's me..

Greek Maf
Old 08-03-2012, 02:07 PM   #84
0-60motorsports

My Ride: E30 325ic & E46 M3
Send a message via MSN to 0-60motorsports Send a message via Yahoo to 0-60motorsports
Chris, you guys need to keep the power dome untouched. Vents are awesome.
EURO 04 M3: GC Coils, Eibach Sways, PF RTABs, RE RCAs, INTRAVEE II, Black Roundels, ///MFEST Badges, Depo's, VCSL Bumper + Race Lip + CF Trunk + CF Rear Diffusor + CSL center console, DIETZ TV in Motion, SS Stepped Headers, SS Catless S & Res X-pipe, SS Race, Z8 Starter Button, Lamin-X, OEM CSL Steering + CSL interior, OEM CSL Intake, EVOLVE Alpha-N Tune, BBS CH's, FX-R 3.0's, ST40's, DINAN Rear Strut Brace, BW Oil Cooler, 3.91 gears
Old 08-03-2012, 02:46 PM   #85
xixixi
Banned User

My Ride: 01 330x-xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Chris View Post
Too bad they let children on this forum.

Chris.
Agreed!
Old 08-03-2012, 02:47 PM   #86
Bdave

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0mi View Post
I think it's too extreme for a decent E46..
I would prefer something much more simple..
But that's me..
May be right. So hard to tell unless I can see it ON the entire car.
Old 08-03-2012, 03:20 PM   #87
Forcefed M3

My Ride: HPF Stage 2.75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Jack View Post
Should have bought your first because of the E30! Get to the AMG forum!

Choices choices choices, a couple remind me of my Asuka hood. Interested to see where this goes.
Long story. Room mate bought one and got me into euro cars, I bought an E30. Damn I wish still had that car!
Old 08-03-2012, 07:34 PM   #88
Mr.Jack

My Ride: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forcefed M3 View Post
Long story. Room mate bought one and got me into euro cars, I bought an E30. Damn I wish still had that car!
Fair enough, you're in the clear... for now.
Old 08-03-2012, 07:37 PM   #89
MrBlonde

My Ride: M Coupe
Carbon Fibre parts never fit like OEM steel and I therefore consider them to be race only applications. Regarding vents, you want to provide a pathway for hot air to escape from underhood.

See the E46F Drag Racing Standings List for BMW street cars. Watch my drag racing movies on YouTube.

Everything you need to know about Drag Racing your BMW street car
Old 08-03-2012, 09:17 PM   #90
JohnBlaze

My Ride: Black Sunshine
those hoods to me almost look like there should be some other add-ons to the car like ground effects. I would have liked to see them on some M3's too better judge how they'll look.

and while I'm throwing idea's around, did you ever think of mounting oil coolers or radiators in those vented area's and directing airflow through them from the front bumper air dams? Stage 7

Last edited by JohnBlaze; 08-03-2012 at 09:18 PM.
Old 08-03-2012, 11:09 PM   #91
Fair Witness

My Ride: 2004 BMW M3
Hmmm, interesting concept. Curious to see how much the final hood weighs.
Old 08-04-2012, 02:07 AM   #92
mbdarkwinter

My Ride: 2004 E46 M3 HPF S2
You guys could literally make it look and function in any way you want and all of your designs are just the same boring symmetrical louvered vents that you can buy now from 10 other companies.
Why not have vents that integrate into the HPF intake system? Or have cooling specifically for the hot sections you get with the kit, integrate with the new ignition coil covers, aim cooling air down at the turbo, etc. Seems like you could be wasting an opportunity for making something unique to HPF, rather than rehashing the same double louver that has been out since the DTM car in 2002.
Old 08-04-2012, 02:33 AM   #93
Bdave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbdarkwinter View Post
You guys could literally make it look and function in any way you want and all of your designs are just the same boring symmetrical louvered vents that you can buy now from 10 other companies.
Why not have vents that integrate into the HPF intake system? Or have cooling specifically for the hot sections you get with the kit, integrate with the new ignition coil covers, aim cooling air down at the turbo, etc. Seems like you could be wasting an opportunity for making something unique to HPF, rather than rehashing the same double louver that has been out since the DTM car in 2002.
Any airflow is going to help ALL the areas you mentioned. I dont think trying to specifically target certain areas will make even a tiny difference. Just getting large volumes of cool air in and hot air out will be fine. My opinion anyways.

Last edited by Bdave; 08-04-2012 at 02:35 AM.
Old 08-04-2012, 04:07 PM   #94
Rockyminator

My Ride: HPF Stage 2.5 M3
I like 3 and 7. I'm confused about why there is a dip/vent where the power dome is suppose to be. These are interesting concepts but I would still rather have a GTR style cf hood with better oem fitment.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:30 AM   #95
MSpeedAddict

My Ride: 02 Stg 3 S/C M3
Power dome really is a must. Do what you want with it, but have it's body lines there.
Old 08-07-2012, 12:41 PM   #96
sniperm

My Ride: maxima
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fair Witness View Post
Hmmm, interesting concept. Curious to see how much the final hood weighs.

your hood in the sig looks bad ass!

04' LSB
Old 08-07-2012, 07:36 PM   #97
mkodama

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEI330Ci View Post
Poor mkodama...right to the point from an engineering perspective.

Unfortunately he's right.

The area towards the very front of the hood is a low pressure area, then it transitions towards high pressure at the back. The reason why the HVAC inlet is placed where it is, is that it's a high pressure area that literally self feeds as vehicle velocity increases.

If I was going to put a vent at the center, or towards the rear of a hood, I would build a lip before the exit point to help create a low pressure area.

Oh...and to keep a hood down, so it doesn't flap around...you want to seal the back of it close to the windshield. I've seen many race cars (that have gone to great lengths to save ounces from the chassis) have a full OEM rubber strip at the base of the windshield to help keep the hood down at speed.

But...what do I know...I don't have a Doctorate in Engineering. (Heavy jab at mkodama)
Great, now you're making the same joke everyone else makes.

Old 08-08-2012, 05:13 AM   #98
pilot1ner

My Ride: e46
hood

I had my power dome on my hood just a little more pronounced by having a body line. I got the idea off of vorensteiner hood for the 330 i think?? I cant remember. I like the hoods HPF have, Im just not a fan of vents either, plus I had the front of the hood come down over the head lights a little. I like the aggressive clean look!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hood.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	464021  
Old 08-08-2012, 11:50 AM   #99
MarcusLSB

My Ride: BMW's
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot1ner View Post
I had my power dome on my hood just a little more pronounced by having a body line. I got the idea off of vorensteiner hood for the 330 i think?? I cant remember. I like the hoods HPF have, Im just not a fan of vents either, plus I had the front of the hood come down over the head lights a little. I like the aggressive clean look!
I love your hood! Thats the only hood I've ever seen for the E46 M3 that I really liked!

youtube.com/marcuslsb -- Check out photography by Gheybe!

New Build by Lab22

Old 08-08-2012, 02:04 PM   #100
pilot1ner

My Ride: e46
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusLSB View Post
I love your hood! Thats the only hood I've ever seen for the E46 M3 that I really liked!
Thanks brotha. I had my body guy make it to go with the lines of our cars. I also deleted the vent towards the back of the hood and replaced the bigger e46 bmw emblem with a smaller z4 emblem to give it a longer stretched look.
Closed Thread