E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 58 votes, 4.98 average. Display Modes
Old 06-29-2012, 01:41 PM   #581
winter737

My Ride: 2002 M3,
GREAT write up. I am female also and going to attempt this on the weekend. I can turn a wrench but only minor fixes, wish me luck and thanks!!!
winter737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 03:16 PM   #582
CharlzO

My Ride: 2000 328ci
As long as you've read up, take your time, and don't hesitate to re-read if you get stuck, you should be fine! Good luck, let us know how you make out!
CharlzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 02:46 PM   #583
320iCanadian

My Ride: 320i
Thumbs Up

Bringing this back up...

I found this thread like I'm sure many other did while googling how to replace a window regulator lol.

Excellent write up btw. Thanks guys.

I removed my rear passenger regulator but I noticed that the rubber gasket or seal in the window lift motor was damaged and falling off. I am able to slide it back on but I was wondering if that will pose any issues for me in the future. I really don't want to have to purchase a new motor if I can get by with this -

Also, has anyone used these regulators? FCP
They are on sale and would be perfect timing for me.

TIA!
320iCanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 12:09 AM   #584
320iCanadian

Can nobody offer me some advice?
Old 08-02-2012, 09:43 PM   #585
steve.325i

My Ride: 2003 325i
Hi, the seal is simply going to keep some of the dirt out of the motor. If you don't put it back in then your motor 'may' wear out a little quicker. I wouldn't worry about it
steve.325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:32 AM   #586
320iCanadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve.325i View Post
Hi, the seal is simply going to keep some of the dirt out of the motor. If you don't put it back in then your motor 'may' wear out a little quicker. I wouldn't worry about it
Thanks for the reply Steve!

I may have found a used motor to replace this one. From what I have read, the motors are quite resilient. It's just the regulators that fail easily.
Old 08-03-2012, 11:14 PM   #587
venk25

My Ride: 1999 BMW 328i
Great write up! Thanks.

I however wussed out and had a very nice, new-to-me mechanic put it in for me. He charged me 1.5 hours @ $60/hr = $90 labor. Went with this aftermarket part.

It just took about 45 efficient minutes for him to do the actual work! And, he was fine with me staying there and watching as he did it :-).
venk25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 12:06 AM   #588
ShootyzGruve

Quote:
Originally Posted by venk25 View Post
Great write up! Thanks.

I however wussed out and had a very nice, new-to-me mechanic put it in for me. He charged me 1.5 hours @ $60/hr = $90 labor. Went with this aftermarket part.

It just took about 45 efficient minutes for him to do the actual work! And, he was fine with me staying there and watching as he did it :-).
Hmmm. Am I missing something? It took 45 min to install and you were charged for 1.5 hrs?
ShootyzGruve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 10:23 AM   #589
rkneeshaw

My Ride: 330i ZHP
Just completed this repair on both my front windows. The DIY were very helpful.

I went with URO aftermarket regulators and installed the zip tie fix on them before I even installed them, just to ensure I dont have this problem in the future. Everything went together well. There is only one slight difference I noticed after the install: when I roll the windows down all the way the top of the window used to sit flush with the weather stripping. Now the window stays above the weather stripping by maybe 1/8". Not a big deal, just something I noticed. Its crossed my mind it might be due to the extra tension on the cable from the zip tie fix, or it could just be a difference between the OEM and URO regulators. Regardless, i've got working windows and I'm a happy camper

rkneeshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 05:46 PM   #590
venk25

My Ride: 1999 BMW 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootyzGruve View Post
Hmmm. Am I missing something? It took 45 min to install and you were charged for 1.5 hrs?
Well, yeah .. I know ...

Don't all the mechanics/dealers have a fixed labor time for a specific job... ? Guess this was like that. The guy told me, before I went, that it will be 1.5 hour labor and I had agreed. My other independent mechanic and a couple other places I called quoted me over 2 hours of labor for this job @ $100/hr.

In fact, I've had cases where some 4 hour work was needed in my car, but the car was ready 2 hours after its dropped off, and I was charged for 4 hours ... maybe 2 persons worked on it ...
venk25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 12:24 AM   #591
ShootyzGruve

Quote:
Originally Posted by venk25 View Post
Well, yeah .. I know ...

Don't all the mechanics/dealers have a fixed labor time for a specific job... ? Guess this was like that. The guy told me, before I went, that it will be 1.5 hour labor and I had agreed. My other independent mechanic and a couple other places I called quoted me over 2 hours of labor for this job @ $100/hr.

In fact, I've had cases where some 4 hour work was needed in my car, but the car was ready 2 hours after its dropped off, and I was charged for 4 hours ... maybe 2 persons worked on it ...
Dang. 1.5 hrs seems like a lot for a professional to do this. You're probably right though, I bet they charged you a flat rate.

Next time come here for some peer pressure and we will encourage you to DIY. It's a great feeling to complete work and the resources here are just awesome.
ShootyzGruve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 05:31 PM   #592
swordsman11868

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkneeshaw View Post
Just completed this repair on both my front windows. The DIY were very helpful.

I went with URO aftermarket regulators and installed the zip tie fix on them before I even installed them, just to ensure I dont have this problem in the future. Everything went together well. There is only one slight difference I noticed after the install: when I roll the windows down all the way the top of the window used to sit flush with the weather stripping. Now the window stays above the weather stripping by maybe 1/8". Not a big deal, just something I noticed. Its crossed my mind it might be due to the extra tension on the cable from the zip tie fix, or it could just be a difference between the OEM and URO regulators. Regardless, i've got working windows and I'm a happy camper
I noticed the same thing when I did mine. The fix is supposed to be after the window is in you remove the motor but don't unbolt anything else.

Then you manually push the window down to where you want it to bottom out . Then reinstall the motor at that point.

I tried this but the window wouldn't budge. I think it's the aftermarket regulator I bought. I have a 325. Maybe its for a 330? Not sure if they are the same or not. Or maybe it's just poor quality.

HTH

-Dan
Old 08-31-2012, 04:44 PM   #593
NZHolmsie

My Ride: E36 325c & E46 318
E46 Sedan Window Regulator - Zip Tie Repair

Hil - great thread - Instructions/pics are fabulous. One question comes to mind please - If I disconnect the battery to disable the airbags, does this 'lock out' the stereo head unit?? (and may reqiuire a rest cose (which I dont have)?? Or alternately dont standard HUs require a reset code??

Please advise

Many thanks in advance
NZHolmsie:
NZHolmsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 09:32 PM   #594
BM3R 330

My Ride: 2002 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by swordsman11868 View Post
I think it's the aftermarket regulator I bought. I have a 325. Maybe its for a 330? Not sure if they are the same or not. Or maybe it's just poor quality.
Not sure if this will help anyone... But, I used the zip tie method the first time my regulator went out at 93k miles. Then the zip tie snapped a week later and I bought a regulator off ebay. That one made my window super slow and ended up breaking about a month later. Then, I FINALLY shelled out the $150 for an OEM BMW regulator and its been fine ever since. So just a heads up for those getting aftermarket regulators. And It also didnt fit right and I had to make some minor adjustments. So P.O.S. to In My Opinion. Good luck all

I have a small signature
BM3R 330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 07:57 PM   #595
NZHolmsie

My Ride: E36 325c & E46 318
E46 Sedan Window Regulator - Zip Tie Repair

Hi All - great instructions - the only thing I did differently was not to disconnect the battery (for fear of having a downstream head-unit problem). Repair went pretty much as discribed and took about 2 hours. Unfortunately the repair did not work for me

1. the window did not correctly close to the top and when open protruded above the window/door sill by about 20mm (could be pushed down)

2. The grating/graunching noise remained (seemed to be inside the gear mechanism bhind the window motor)

So thanks for the help but unfortunately wasnt a success for me this time

Cheers
NZHolmsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:23 PM   #596
Pocket Rocket

My Ride: 1999 323i
Good write up, thanks! I just did my passenger front right at 200k. I also did not disconnect the battery or airbag. It had obviously been done once before by the previous owner who had all service done at that dealer. I bought the cheapest I could find which was $35 w/shipping from ebay. Fit and works like the original . . . so far. We'll see how long it lasts. I did a left rear about a year ago and used an el cheapo on that one too, so far so good but that one doesn't get used much.

Last edited by Pocket Rocket; 09-13-2012 at 10:29 PM. Reason: added material
Pocket Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 01:35 AM   #597
omodos

My Ride: 318 auto n42
don't use the rear windows much cos of the issue, and the fronts i used these plastic cheap replacements didnt buy the whole mechanisms, however bought a set of meyle replacement mechanisms so waiting for the right time to change em out
omodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 02:16 AM   #598
seekon

My Ride: 2002 320i
Just used this tutorial to install a new regulator for my front passenger window, too bad I purchased a new regulator when the zip tie repair would have worked for mine.

I disconnected the air bag completely, fairly easy, and remembered to connect back before testing the window, thanks for this tip as well.

Will do the rear passenger, and the driver side tomorrow with the zip tie repair.

Thanks again for all involved in the tutorial.
seekon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:59 PM   #599
halo0

My Ride: '02 330i 5mt
Does anyone have any feedback as to the quality of the Dorman regulator vs others that are available? Amazon reviews are pretty good.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

^Click, stop by and say hi.^ ------ 5% off Redline leather
halo0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:51 AM   #600
EDWAGON

My Ride: 2004 325xiT
My left front is going, need to do this soon will go with oem.

Found them here

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-325...dow_Regulator/