E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-29-2012, 03:24 AM   #41
jaymemaurice

My Ride: 01 330ci, 03 Passat
Cool boss. If I were you I'd clean that engine bay the best you can, while you can...

Rain Sensor Retrofit: Here
Coupe Headline Replacement: Here
jaymemaurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 04:13 AM   #42
MJLavelle

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymemaurice View Post
Cool boss. If I were you I'd clean that engine bay the best you can, while you can...
I gotta agree with that. I would also try to do some of the smaller water hoses that dont often get replaced, like the hoses for the heater core, and maybe find a way to block off all but one of them, and do a pressure test to make sure they sealed tight. You don't want to have to go back in once the engine is in the way again. But it would be a shame to have such good access, and not do them.
It would also be a shame to miss the chance to clean up that engine bay really well.
I know that it is easy to give in to the "I want to get it done!" mindset, but taking the time to hit all of the little details would make you feel better than just an engine swap.
Of course, that is easier for me to say on this end of things!
MJLavelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 04:03 AM   #43
Trashcan

My Ride: 2002 330ci
Its done!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Bimmer App
Trashcan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 05:35 PM   #44
threetwentyfizzle

My Ride: '00 323i
Congratz on the swap!
threetwentyfizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 04:13 AM   #45
MJLavelle

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trashcan View Post
Its done!

Great! No leftover parts, I hope (except the old engine, of course).
Are you going to post any pics, maybe write up some lessons learned, and let us know if you followed any advice from anyone who posted.
Were there any surprises, good or bad? Anything you would have done differently? Any tools that made the job easier? Any tools that you wish you would have had?
Projects like this can help add to the collective knowledge of the site. Everyone experiences something a little different, or posts details that were left out of other write ups. So, I know you just want to get in and drive, but try to post some details while they are fresh in your mind.
I'm not trying to pressure you, but this kind of first hand info is somewhat rare, so it is good to write up as many details as possible, for the good of the forum.
MJLavelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:51 PM   #46
Trashcan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJLavelle View Post
Great! No leftover parts, I hope (except the old engine, of course).
Are you going to post any pics, maybe write up some lessons learned, and let us know if you followed any advice from anyone who posted.
Were there any surprises, good or bad? Anything you would have done differently? Any tools that made the job easier? Any tools that you wish you would have had?
Projects like this can help add to the collective knowledge of the site. Everyone experiences something a little different, or posts details that were left out of other write ups. So, I know you just want to get in and drive, but try to post some details while they are fresh in your mind.
I'm not trying to pressure you, but this kind of first hand info is somewhat rare, so it is good to write up as many details as possible, for the good of the forum.
Never saw this post until now.

Things that would have made it way better would be an lift. Lol. This isn't something that should be attempted without a well stocked shop to work in. I also wouldn't recommend this project for beginners. If you're not a good MacGyver and lack problem solving skills, again, this isn't something for you to attempt.

Removing the engine from the transmission wasn't to bad, but getting the new engine to fit into the transmission properly took a good 2 hours and some loud cursing .

We kept the old clutch, and i believe when i removed it the springs in the self adjusting mechanism needed to be reset. I'm not sure but i believe not resetting them was cause for a clutch failure about a month later. The clutch was good still but had to remove the transmission and reset the springs, and put in a new master (or slave? Idk) cylinder and a pivot bushing. The tool to reset the clutch is expensive but a hydraulic press on the fingers in the center of the clutch and a flat head to set the springs back did the job

I would highly recommend turning the engine over for a while without spark or fuel to build oil pressure before first start.

We put anti seize copper paste on all the exhaust nuts, which made for a very strong and scary smell initially, and under hard acceleration for about 2 weeks after.

The first start was smokey and stinky and very nerve racking and scary.

All in all, it was a very interesting learning experience that i never want to do again, lol.

Hope i could be of some help to someone!

Old 12-29-2012, 11:05 PM   #47
Trashcan

Here's some more pictures as long as I'm reminiscing.

The last one is from when the clutch issue arose. I towed it to a shop i could use a hoist at, which made it a million times easier!

Sorry for all cell phone pictures...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1356843730671.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	483942   Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1356843751299.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	483943   Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1356843775997.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	483944   Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1356843819408.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	483946  

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1356843941857.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	483947  

Last edited by Trashcan; 12-29-2012 at 11:06 PM.
Old 05-03-2013, 02:22 PM   #48
2003silver330i

My Ride: 03 BMW 330i
Well done. I'm getting ready to do an engine swap as well in my very tight spaced garage. Do you recommend leaving the intake manifold off of the new engine when installing it back into the car?
2003silver330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:16 AM   #49
Trashcan

Re: Engine swap help

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003silver330i View Post
Well done. I'm getting ready to do an engine swap as well in my very tight spaced garage. Do you recommend leaving the intake manifold off of the new engine when installing it back into the car?
If it's already off i would wait until you have the engine in and attached completely before putting it back on.

Make sure you read the part about the clutch in my last comment if it's a manual.

Good luck
Old 05-04-2013, 12:26 PM   #50
2003silver330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trashcan View Post
If it's already off i would wait until you have the engine in and attached completely before putting it back on.

Make sure you read the part about the clutch in my last comment if it's a manual.

Good luck
Unfortunately I own an automatic. I'm still trying to find good instructions how to detach that from the engine and what gear the tranny should be in, if it matters at all. Thanks.
Old 05-04-2013, 02:05 PM   #51
Trashcan

Re: Engine swap help

Quote:
Unfortunately I own an automatic. I'm still trying to find good instructions how to detach that from the engine and what gear the tranny should be in, if it matters at all. Thanks.
I'd assume it would be best to have it in neutral, although I'm not completely sure. If you don't have one I'd highly recommend getting a Bentley service manual. I can check mine later and see if it notes anything for automatics.
Old 05-04-2013, 02:33 PM   #52
BMWCaptain

Location: TEXAS - Where I give Real World advice and don't just criticize others. People here need to RESPECT other's opinions!
My Ride: 03 325iT SportWagon
Quote:
You will have to put it in neutral because you have to rotate the engine so you can get to the 3 bolts that attach the tranny torque converter to the flywheel.

Engine swap, HG, tranny swap, GM & ZF tranny rebuilds, shocks, struts, brakes, WPs, Thermostats, belts, tensioners, fuel pumps, radiators, window regs, hoses, PS pump, Spark Plugs, VCGs, coils, fuel filters, CVVs, VANOS seals, rack, LCABs, Exp. Tanks, OFHGs, RCABs, OP, boots, ABS, GUIDOs, starter, A/C, DISA, Diff, SAP

Ultra Premium Grand 10 Star+ Super Duper BMW-pedic Sport Plus +++
BMWCaptain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 03:51 PM   #53
2003silver330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCaptain View Post
You will have to put it in neutral because you have to rotate the engine so you can get to the 3 bolts that attach the tranny torque converter to the flywheel.
What is the best way to rotate the engine?

Edit: Looking thru the Bentley has no mention of these 3 bolts only the 11 bolts that surround the bell housing.

Last edited by 2003silver330i; 05-04-2013 at 04:01 PM.
Old 05-04-2013, 10:47 PM   #54
BMWCaptain

Location: TEXAS - Where I give Real World advice and don't just criticize others. People here need to RESPECT other's opinions!
My Ride: 03 325iT SportWagon
Only.supposed to rotate it clockwise. You will be facing the engine and using a hatchet wrench to rotate it clockwise.

Engine swap, HG, tranny swap, GM & ZF tranny rebuilds, shocks, struts, brakes, WPs, Thermostats, belts, tensioners, fuel pumps, radiators, window regs, hoses, PS pump, Spark Plugs, VCGs, coils, fuel filters, CVVs, VANOS seals, rack, LCABs, Exp. Tanks, OFHGs, RCABs, OP, boots, ABS, GUIDOs, starter, A/C, DISA, Diff, SAP

Ultra Premium Grand 10 Star+ Super Duper BMW-pedic Sport Plus +++
BMWCaptain is online now   Reply With Quote