E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2012, 06:32 PM   #21
bparka12

My Ride: 330ci
success!

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46dub View Post
dmax, I've been driving and shifting at 4k (sometimes more ), and keeping it cruising in between 2500-3000 and feels like a completely different car haha. Love it! You're totally right... I was just being too careful and nice with it. These cars must love to be driven like this !
Ah another satisfied BMW owner!... puts a smile on my face the e46 will surely light up and come alive past 4k its the thresh hold of smooth, daily, comfort to an enthusiastic, torque, monster. These cars do love it! Love them with maintenance and they will keep loving you back with every shift! Cheers!
Old 04-06-2012, 07:11 PM   #22
xixixi
Banned User

My Ride: 01 330x-xi
A car is not your G/F, it's a hooker. You spend the money to beat on her, she will love you for it. Making love to a hooker is like saving your car for another man.
xixixi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 11:22 PM   #23
Blocked Out

My Ride: Imola 330i M-Sport
If you already havent I would strongly recommend checking your rear subframe mounts. These cars are KNOWN to have their rear subframe mounts tear out of the subfloor.

Your clutch is slipping abit, nothing to worry about for now(simply based on the fact that your rmp jumped a bit when you tested). Shift at 3k when accelerating for max fuel economy and 4500-6000 for max speed.

As long as your motor has plenty of good oil in it and you NEVER EVER overheat it , it'll last well over 500k miles no problem even if you redline every gear all day

Look into your slave cyl for your 1ts gear problem. First flush your brakes and clutch , replace the tranny fluid and if it still there THEN replace the slave

====>>> E46 Coupe Airbags
IMG_1725
Blocked Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 11:37 PM   #24
e46dub

My Ride: 2000 328i
anyone have a write up on where/what to look for the subframe problem? going to replace the rear braks tomorrow, so since I'll have it up.. ill be able to peek then!
e46dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 06:49 AM   #25
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Look around the two rear bushings on the rear axle carrier for starters. If you don't see anything, there still might be a crack under the bushing and to check for that, you need to drop the rear of the rear axle carrier. How to do that, I'm not sure, but I asked BlockedOut in another subframe thread just a minute ago.

Search 'subframe' in thread titles...there are a few that tell you how to check in more detail.

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 03:53 AM   #26
e46dub

well i did some looking and it looks perfect! also, not sure what part it was, but it looks brand new... control arm in the rear? silver
Old 04-12-2012, 03:28 PM   #27
jneumann

My Ride: 323i, 530i, Z4 3.0i
Send a message via AIM to jneumann
Quote:
the shark injector sounds cool, but tbh i'm happy with the power i have right now. sure i might put a nice exhaust on it, but that's just because i like to hear my engine.
I personally prefer my ability to redline every gear in the middle of town without everyone wondering who's that hooligan with a stupid loud car driving too fast.

Dynavin Android | Laser Interceptor | GRE PSR-800 | STi-R+ | M3 seats | 50W 4300K FX-R Retrofit | Solid black interior | Mtech II front bumper | Koni FSDs
Member, Three Pedal Mafia | Long informative article on oil | BITOG German Castrol FAQ

jneumann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 11:21 PM   #28
e46dub

well i found out the squeel from 1st to 2nd gear around 6000 rpms wasnt the tires... i think its the clutch. It sounds like its coming from up front.

what clutches should i look for
Old 04-20-2012, 03:29 PM   #29
tonycajjo

My Ride: 2006 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by xixixi View Post
A car is not your G/F, it's a hooker. You spend the money to beat on her, she will love you for it. Making love to a hooker is like saving your car for another man.
tonycajjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 03:51 PM   #30
aggieE46
Keep it clean

My Ride: 03 Evo, 07 Passat
Send a message via AIM to aggieE46
I sure hope so! I'm going to have her for quite some time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blocked Out View Post
As long as your motor has plenty of good oil in it and you NEVER EVER overheat it , it'll last well over 500k miles no problem even if you redline every gear all day
Old 08-03-2012, 04:35 AM   #31
e46dub

so when shifting above 6000 rpms into 2nd i hear a sqeek. pretty sure its the clutch. also... seems like launching with trac off, the car doesnt spin the tires and it kind of lags. clutch going bad?
Old 08-03-2012, 11:58 AM   #32
jneumann

My Ride: 323i, 530i, Z4 3.0i
Send a message via AIM to jneumann
Quote:
so when shifting above 6000 rpms into 2nd i hear a sqeek. pretty sure its the clutch. also... seems like launching with trac off, the car doesnt spin the tires and it kind of lags. clutch going bad?
A squeak like as in chirping the tires?

Get up to ~40mph, throw it in 5th and floor it. Does the tach rise faster than it should? Does the tach fall back and stabilize after you let off the gas? If yes to either, you need a new clutch. Drive easy until you do to prolong life.

How many miles? Launch often?

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Bimmer App

Dynavin Android | Laser Interceptor | GRE PSR-800 | STi-R+ | M3 seats | 50W 4300K FX-R Retrofit | Solid black interior | Mtech II front bumper | Koni FSDs
Member, Three Pedal Mafia | Long informative article on oil | BITOG German Castrol FAQ

jneumann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 01:07 PM   #33
kinglozzer

My Ride: 2001 318ci
Quote:
When I first started driving mine I used to get this while I was getting used to the clutch, in my case it was just because I was punching the throttle too early - before the clutch pedal was fully up, causing it to squeak.

Might not be this in your case, but something to test - bring the clutch up at 6k rpm without touching the throttle and see if it still does it

kinglozzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:13 PM   #34
e46dub

okay so i did the 2nd gear to 50 mph and put it into 5th. the first couple times of doing that I heard a squeek but no crazy movement of the rpms raising or anything. good clutch? bad clutch?
Old 08-05-2012, 08:42 PM   #35
Snik
OEM ///Member

My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
It's a German car. They're not gonna tell u when to shift, as they assume you already know how to drive.
I have over 210k on my original clutch. It only slips slightly on power shifts. I don attempt burn outs. It's a 328i it's kinda stupid to try, unless the road is wet

Your clutch should be fine at that mileage. Sounds like its driver error.
When mine slips on a power shift it's kinda obvious, but it's very quick.

I'd say to check it drive in 2nd or 3rd at about 4k rpm and feather the clutch, then floor it and let the clutch out at the same time. If it doesn't grab instantly and Lurch forward it's probably slipping and you should hear it.
Snik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:43 PM   #36
Snik
OEM ///Member

Quote:
okay so i did the 2nd gear to 50 mph and put it into 5th. the first couple times of doing that I heard a squeek but no crazy movement of the rpms raising or anything. good clutch? bad clutch?
A bad clutch won't squeak. That squeak is prolly the clutch pedal bushing.
Sounds like its fine.

You should look into subframe failures and such before u attempt to do another burnout
Old 08-05-2012, 09:06 PM   #37
HiHoBrian
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 05 M3
Squeak also could have been the belt slipping from the abrupt rpm change. It it probably fine as is,but it won't hurt to check the condition of the belt and tensioner. They are widely accepted as preventative maint wear items that are safer to replace before they fail and do more damage to parts under the hood.
Old 08-05-2012, 09:27 PM   #38
Snik
OEM ///Member

Yeah. You set don't want the belt failing on our motor.
Check tensioners too.
Old 08-07-2012, 02:22 AM   #39
e46dub

it's got 150k on it. are we talking the accessory/serp belt?
Old 08-07-2012, 05:30 AM   #40
Snik
OEM ///Member

Yep.