E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2012, 01:14 PM   #1
cglenn4jc

My Ride: 1999 323i Sedan
Manual Seats to Power Seats

Ok, I have read the tutorials for retrofitting, but I have, what is hopefully a simple question.

Below are pictures of my current seats (driver side). It is a manual seat. There is a harness attached to the underside. I have an opportunity to buy some nice black leather seats which are power. I am hoping they are plug-n-play. Based on my pictures, could anyone tell me whether or not this is a simple swap?

Sorry this one is a little blurry.

Any help would be appreciated. I may get them anyway and try the retrofit, but it would be sweet if they could just plug-in.
cglenn4jc is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-07-2012, 01:59 PM   #2
TynWarrior

My Ride: '95 M3, '00 323i
ehh I can't tell you for certain, but I know that under my electric seats, all that is there is that same yellow plug. All the motors kinda plug into it.

But I'd personally stick with the manual seats. Power seats are just one more thing that will break on you. And technically (really really technically) the lighter manual seats make car go faster
Old 08-07-2012, 02:04 PM   #3
MercForHire

My Ride: 323Ci 5 Speed Black
Don't do it! It's like gaining an extra 100lb!!
A 323 would not be able to take it
MercForHire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 02:04 PM   #4
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
if the seat are power sedan to manual sedan the plug is the same but you will need to wire in one for power, one for negative and one for memory.
Old 08-07-2012, 02:07 PM   #5
Alex323Ci

here is the DIY on how to do the wiring
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ht=power+seats
Old 08-07-2012, 02:11 PM   #6
cglenn4jc

Thanks everyone! This is my wife's car and she could care less about speed. Our seats are in bad shape and it is way too expensive to have them re-covered. It is almost impossible to find replacement manual seats for a decent price. I have looked everywhere. If someone has a lead on some that are not tan, please let me know. I can buy some black leather power seats that are in excellent shape for less than $500 locally. That seems hard to beat, and would be a nice improvement for my wife. The racing seats alone are a minimum of $500 for the seats and brackets...then I would have to buy a back seat in black to match.

The weight is not a big deal, I am more concerned about the install difficulty.

So, to make sure I am understanding this, I will need to add 3 wires to the existing harness 1. Power, 2. Negative, 3.Memory? What are all the wires that are already bundled in the harness for? Are they ALL for airbag?
Old 08-07-2012, 02:54 PM   #7
white46

My Ride: e46 323ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by cglenn4jc View Post
So, to make sure I am understanding this, I will need to add 3 wires to the existing harness 1. Power, 2. Negative, 3.Memory? What are all the wires that are already bundled in the harness for? Are they ALL for airbag?
Not sure whether they are all for airbag, but certainly sure they are NOT for power seats.
Old 08-07-2012, 03:29 PM   #8
Alex323Ci

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercForHire View Post
Don't do it! It's like gaining an extra 100lb!!
12-15 lbs is far from like 100 lbs. you have no clue what you're talking about.
Old 08-07-2012, 03:32 PM   #9
MercForHire

My Ride: 323Ci 5 Speed Black
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci View Post
12-15 lbs is far from like 100 lbs. you have no clue what you're talking about.
Stop stalking me jerk
MercForHire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 04:18 PM   #10
Alex323Ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercForHire View Post
Stop stalking me
if by correcting the earlier totally incorrect post you made in a thread where i posted the correct information could be considered stalking.

tell us again and prove how they add 100 lbs if you want to post something. otherwise don't post false information to people seeking information and help from those that know.
Old 08-07-2012, 05:56 PM   #11
Schlag96
Slightly Modded ///Member

My Ride: 1999 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by cglenn4jc View Post
Seat belt tensioner.
Schlag96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:11 PM   #12
cglenn4jc

I think I am just going to buy the power seats and follow the retrofit tutorial. Now I just need to find those BMW Contact Pins for the Fuse panel and Seat Harness connectors. Thanks again everyone for the help.
Old 08-08-2012, 01:11 AM   #13
Alex323Ci

you can get the contacts from a BMW dealership or order online.

you're welcome, happy to help. sorry that pizza boy distracted your post.

Tags
323i, harness, manual seat, power seat, retrofit