E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2012, 02:03 PM   #1
filimafiarep

My Ride: 2005 E46 M3
Seeking advice on s54 potential

As the title says, I'm looking for insight on the s54's potential being a fully built race motor to be somewhere near the range of 490 whp. And no, I want to stay away from forced induction. Not that I frown upon it or anything, but we're working on staying NA to remain in a certain race class. What we've have looked into thus far is sleeves, cams, and the csl airbox with alpha-n tune. Aside from that we were hoping some of you could shed some light on other components. Our cash flow in the past has been devoted to the chassis really, Bilstein PSS9s, TMS subframe reinforcement kit, sway bars, weight reduction within the car to include Kirk Roll Bar and sparco buckets, StopTech BBK, K&N Typhoon CAI, TMS power pulleys, and high-performance ignition coils. We're ready to order a pair of headers (not sure if for the sake of harmony with future components we should choose euro headers or SSv1) to hook up nicely to our SS connecting pipes.

Much to the dismay I'm sure with many of you, if we cannot achieve somewhere near 490 whp, we have considered as a last resort to motor swap the s54 with the s65 and go from there. Our end objective is to achieve near the power and performance of the e46 m3 GTR and as far as I know, the s65 although underpowered by comparison is an improvement of the p60b40.
filimafiarep is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-07-2012, 03:14 PM   #2
Grande D

My Ride: Whiiiite BMW!
490rwhp?! I doubt it. Maybe 490hp...

Honestly this forum is dominated by the non-M guys.

I'd try the bf.c track section, this forum's track section and M3forum.

i spend it while i can, if i run out i'll swallow all my meds
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 02:37 AM   #3
cyberkaa

Location: Sunnyvale, CA <-- Ithaca, NY <-- dirty jerz (201) Useful Posts: 25
My Ride: E46 332i,M3;E30 325i
Send a message via ICQ to cyberkaa Send a message via AIM to cyberkaa Send a message via MSN to cyberkaa Send a message via Yahoo to cyberkaa
This build hits a few of the same things you're looking into:
http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=398790

M3 drive train conversion (S54 Swap, LSD, 6MT, suspension linkage) | UUC Stg 2 Organic Clutch | OEM M-Tech II Kit
KW V2 | BBS GT4 RE | Falken FK452 | Alcon 6-pot 365mm BBK | M3 steering wheel | Powerflex bushings

Quote:
Originally Posted by koven View Post
i'd rather be gapless with no bulge
cyberkaa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:04 AM   #4
hassmaschine

My Ride: '91 325ix
I don't see why the S65 would be a "downer". it's lighter than the S54, and that weight would sit further back too. and it's maybe more reliable.

A 490whp S54 though.. yikes! How wide would the powerband on that be? 100rpm? :p

the S54 seems to be pretty de-tuned from the factory, I imagine that although the S65 is closer to the edge, it's still considerably de-tuned as well. With nearly a liter more displacement to start with, I imagine it would be considerably cheaper to get to ~500hp with a race setup.

I really like both engines, though. if I had a different car, I'd probably do the S65, but the S54 is my motor of choice..

Last edited by hassmaschine; 08-08-2012 at 08:06 AM.
hassmaschine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:19 AM   #5
JohnBlaze

My Ride: Black Sunshine
call VAC motorsports, they can level set with you
Old 08-08-2012, 05:21 PM   #6
filimafiarep

I spoke with a few mechanics whose shops have their own track cars and the consensus seems to be that what I am trying to achieve is not possible. The highest gain I have heard of was roughly 390 whp, a 100 shy of the e46 M3 GTR.

As far as the s65, it's not a downer, by any means. I have consulted with my father to rethink what our budget on this car is set at, and we're leaning towards finding an e60 m5 v10 and swapping it with that. I've seen that done a few places, not just online, so we'll most likely go that route since WE would not be "pioneering" the idea.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:17 PM   #7
JohnBlaze

My Ride: Black Sunshine
what is your budget?
Old 08-08-2012, 08:02 PM   #8
filimafiarep

Well, it was 40k. Some mechanics suggested doubling that. In all honesty, I think I can keep it near 40 with selling my s54 motor and all related components.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:14 PM   #9
Steven747

My Ride: 05 330ci
very expensive to get more than 400whp on a s54.
Old 08-08-2012, 09:17 PM   #10
filimafiarep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven747 View Post
very expensive to get more than 400whp on a s54.
Yeah, if I was going to run boost. We had looked into the HPF 2.5 simply for the rebuilt internals, but as I said before, all motor is the direction we want to stay. Without boost, >400rwhp is not possible on the s54.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:07 PM   #11
Steven747

My Ride: 05 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by filimafiarep View Post
Yeah, if I was going to run boost. We had looked into the HPF 2.5 simply for the rebuilt internals, but as I said before, all motor is the direction we want to stay. Without boost, >400rwhp is not possible on the s54.
if your truly serious about achieving your goals. basically your only option is to talk to vac motor sports. they can get you closer to your goals than any other company most likely and they are reputable.

no need to update post until youve talked to them.

interested in what they have to say
Old 10-01-2012, 01:01 AM   #12
Beamer Creamer

My Ride: 2005 bmw m3
Thats too much to ask without. Boring, fuel injectors, methanol injection? Prob need aftermarket head and crank , race underdrive pulleys. I love my s54. Ide like to see that used rather than a v10. Check it out some more
Beamer Creamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:46 AM   #13
vaio76109

My Ride: Race Cars
Quote:
Originally Posted by filimafiarep View Post
Not that I frown upon it or anything, but we're working on staying NA to remain in a certain race class. Our cash flow in the past has been devoted to the chassis really, Bilstein PSS9s, TMS subframe reinforcement kit, sway bars, weight reduction within the car to include Kirk Roll Bar and sparco buckets, StopTech BBK, K&N Typhoon CAI, TMS power pulleys, and high-performance ignition coils.
What class are you trying to stay in with what organization? You can get 350-360whp(dynojet) out of an S54 relatively easily, much more than that and the motor needs to be opened up. Prepare to write a check for $10-25k at that point, but you still won't be near 490whp. You should be a looking at better dampers than PSS9's long before you're looking for a 'built' motor.
vaio76109 is offline   Reply With Quote