E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-09-2012, 11:59 AM   #21
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhp43867 View Post
$7-$10k with a GRAF pump? Lolwut? PM me how exactly that happened...
What are you insinuating here. lets start with that and we'll move onto your question

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 12:06 PM   #22
Grande D

My Ride: E90 M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
What are you insinuating here. lets start with that and we'll move onto your question
Putting a GRAF pump in your car (to save a few $$$ over BMW) doesn't align with spending $7-$10k in general to get the car perfect. I PMd you, lets stop derailing this guys thread as it isn't relevant.
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 12:08 PM   #23
MercForHire

My Ride: 323Ci 5 Speed Black
COOLING SYSTEM FAILURE!!
MercForHire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 12:29 PM   #24
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhp43867 View Post
Putting a GRAF pump in your car (to save a few $$$ over BMW) doesn't align with spending $7-$10k in general to get the car perfect. I PMd you, lets stop derailing this guys thread as it isn't relevant.
Who said I was trying to save a few bucks? I've explained why I have a GRAF vs BMW several dozens of times. I recommend only OE or OEM (Saleri) pumps. ALWAYS.

I'll save you some searching time. The reason I have a Graf was because Genuine was not available at the time. I couldn't wait.

Besides... Graf has served me extremely well. I've installed at least a dozen of them on different BMWs over the years.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 08-09-2012, 12:41 PM   #25
Caden

My Ride: '06 325i
Price of car: $(+/-)7,000
Preventative: $8,000
Grand Total: $15,000
$15,000?!?!

That's M3 territory.
Caden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 12:43 PM   #26
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caden View Post
Price of car: $(+/-)7,000
Preventative: $8,000
Grand Total: $15,000
$15,000?!?!

That's molested M3 territory.
fixed.

you'll have to do the same to the M3. you always have to pay to play.

it's not enough (for me anyway) to buy a used BMW and just drive it. bad things will happen.

$3k will do fine for maintenance. the other money is just me being picky

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 08-09-2012, 12:49 PM   #27
sammk

My Ride: Bone-stock E92
You guys are going to scare away the new owner here...

OP: I guess the takeaway is there's no magic recipe to 'restoring' your E46 or whatever term may be attached to it, or any hard and fast $$$ figure to shell out.. But rather know the weak links in this car (cooling system as pointed out, suspension including control arm bushings, RTABs, subframe etc., CCV since you live in a cold zone etc.) and play it as it comes.. Your car is probably in great shape going by the miles and ownership history, and now you have the information to stay on top of things... And honestly, this car isn't a pricey one to maintain.. They're easy to work on if you're handy, and quite sturdy and reliable as long as you're not abusive take care of them..

Over and out..

E92 convert. BMW Fanatic.
sammk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 12:51 PM   #28
Mango
A full five stars, son

^+1.

Point i was trying to make: you're not out of the woods when you buy a used BMW, regardless of how good it looks. the truth lies underneath.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 08-09-2012, 12:59 PM   #29
choleaoum
Ceiling missing!

My Ride: BMW 330Ci
Send a message via AIM to choleaoum
@OP, it isn't that serious to spend 3 grand to freshen up your cooling system and car. And I've seen customers bring over GRAF's, makes me tear up inside. Before I install them, I always give them disclaimers and liability warnings on my end haha. I'm not another stewart bandwagon guy, but I did it to see the huss and fuss it was alright. Didn't notice anything but I do like the lifetime warranty. I have worked with cars with barely any mileage and at 53k give BMW some credit, the car won't fall into shambles. I've worked on them at 200k mileage!

So don't be intimidated about owning a BMW, it isn't THAT serious. Now it doesn't hurt to keep a couple bucks laying around for repairs if the expansion tank explodes, for the fcabs give out, or the ofhg, etc. Nothing personal, I just feel the prices were a bit exaggerated earlier.

I have yet to seen an entire cooling system fall apart at 53k yet...

Hell, even sometimes aftermarket parts can fail before the OEM ones leaving you assed out regardless. Seen it a dozen times.

Last edited by choleaoum; 08-09-2012 at 01:05 PM.
choleaoum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 01:02 PM   #30
MercForHire

I change my mind. i now fully support mango.
BMW is suppose to be expensive and difficult to maintain. It's a premium brand and let's keep it that way.
We don't want more high school kids buying them and thinking they are cheap to maintain.
Old 08-09-2012, 01:04 PM   #31
217Bimmer
E46Fanatic

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330i
nice car!!

bought my 2001 with 98,000 miles. has 143,000 on it now. original cooling system. no such thing as replacing the whole cooling system as preventative maintenance. for every expansion tank explosion story, there are 10 people who have the original cooling system and it's fine. save your money.
217Bimmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 02:00 PM   #32
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Nice car, looks clean and color combo looks better to me than when you described it in the earlier thread. with such low miles and dealer serviced/receipts youre looking good. and no you should not need to replaced good parts with $7,000 worth of new. (but some might be prudent to replace.)

Oh Mango stop your "Fear-mangoring". (see what I did there, took "Fear-Monger" + "Mango".) new E46 Fanatics word!!!!!! Fear-monger, fear-mangoer, fear-mangoing.
Old 08-09-2012, 06:50 PM   #33
blksab65

My Ride: 1987 325 (i Swapped)
wow i thought they changed to facelift in 02
blksab65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 08:07 PM   #34
MercForHire

Mango keep up with the good work. We want no more poor new e46 owners.
Old 08-10-2012, 10:45 PM   #35
Steven747

My Ride: 05 330ci
jesus christ mango what are you doing here rambling about a refresh costing over a grand that has to be a joke right? your bolts and washers must be costing 3 bucks a piece at the dealership at those prices. you gettin raped boy lol

op my cooling refresh with stewart water pump for parts costed less than 400 bucks and all installed for about 100 bucks and a little elbow grease with my friend. at 53k your suspension will need zero attention maybe your fcab might have a 1 or 2 cracks 250 bucks max installed. my vanos costed 55 bucks for parts and 100 for labor helping my friend once again. my whole car was refreshed for under a grand so please please dont listen to mango he preaches things to scare off new owners when really find a good local mechanic .

consensus here is mango prob takes his 10 year old car to the dealership and pays 115 bucks an hour for labor if it costs him even 4k to refresh his car. i bet i have more aftermarket parts and upgraded cooling parts than 99% of e46's on this forum and everything still came in under 2k

my stewart pump silicone hoses ati damper shrick cams new refreshed cooling system and upgraded interior and exterior parts maybe 4k tops

mango if you were so anal about a perfect car why didnt you buy a car with zero miles?

youve spent so much money and dont even have rims or tint on your windows. sounds like your bs-ing

Last edited by Steven747; 08-10-2012 at 10:50 PM.
Steven747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:40 PM   #36
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector

My Ride: '99 Techno Violet M3
Cool car! I love the exterior color and while the gray interior isn't my first choice, it fits your car well. The OEM nav is cool too. The mileage for that age is pretty remarkable as well. Unfortunately after a decade of being in existence, I would prepare myself for the usual e46 maintenance items, as others have already stated.

A friend of mine had an '04 330i, just like mine, M-Tech I and all. He had only 52k when he bought it and it already had a leaking valve cover gasket, oil filter housing gasket and a cracked and worn out CCV. He was also already getting annoying vanos rattle. The cooling system would definitely be on my mind. It's nearing what some consider to be the end of it's useful life and it is a decade old. I'm not trying to scare you though. These are normal e46 maintenance items. I get a certain serene pleasure out of working on my car and getting a job done correctly, so there isn't anything to really be afraid of here.

Can't wait to see what you do with the car!

1999 Techno Violet Metallic M3
Bilstein | Kosei K1 Racing | Toyo Proxes R888 | BMW CCA #430881

tock172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:45 PM   #37
Steven747

My Ride: 05 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by tock172 View Post
Cool car! I love the exterior color and while the gray interior isn't my first choice, it fits your car well. The OEM nav is cool too. The mileage for that age is pretty remarkable as well. Unfortunately after a decade of being in existence, I would prepare myself for the usual e46 maintenance items, as others have already stated.

A friend of mine had an '04 330i, just like mine, M-Tech I and all. He had only 52k when he bought it and it already had a leaking valve cover gasket, oil filter housing gasket and a cracked and worn out CCV. He was also already getting annoying vanos rattle. The cooling system would definitely be on my mind. It's nearing what some consider to be the end of it's useful life and it is a decade old. I'm not trying to scare you though. These are normal e46 maintenance items. I get a certain serene pleasure out of working on my car and getting a job done correctly, so there isn't anything to really be afraid of here.

Can't wait to see what you do with the car!
diying most of those things will come in under 500 bucks total so mango is obviously full of hot air
Old 08-10-2012, 11:49 PM   #38
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector

My Ride: '99 Techno Violet M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven747 View Post
diying most of those things will come in under 500 bucks total so mango is obviously full of hot air
I'm not going to argue over the particulars of the numbers Mango posted. I have my own spreadsheet for that in which I have every single job/task performed on my car (maintenance & mods). I know how much it costs.

1999 Techno Violet Metallic M3
Bilstein | Kosei K1 Racing | Toyo Proxes R888 | BMW CCA #430881

tock172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 12:38 AM   #39
spikester550

My Ride: 330ci, 86.5 hardbody
Send a message via AIM to spikester550
<333333333
CF CSL Trunk, Black Kidney Grills, Smoked Corners,
Painted Reflectors, M3 Steering Wheel,
ZHP Shift Knob, Clutch Stop, Shark Injector,
15mm Spacers, 3k DDM HID Fogs, OEM M3 Hood,
Coilovers, UUC Sways, and many more..
spikester550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 01:00 AM   #40
BMWboi

My Ride: 04 330ci 6spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
+1 get ready to fork over at LEAST another $3,000 to get it back into decent shape even if it's MINT. Unless you have receipts to show the entire cooling system, suspension, etc was replaced...

$5,000-$7,000 if you're picky. First BMW?

Nuts, bolts, washers, screws (not even talking about missing ones, talking about ones that are stained or look funny)

interior panels, bulbs, light assemblies (faded, dirt inside, etc) rubber seals, oils, filters, seals, washers, etc.

also pure man hours in cleaning, reconditioning, restoring, and analyzing.
oh lawd

BMWboi is offline   Reply With Quote