E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2012, 09:07 PM   #1
bski111
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: ct
Posts: 1
My Ride: 325ci
e46 tune

i have an 02 325ci and want to upgrade for more power. i recently installed an intake and felt a slight but not impressive gain. any ideas on cost effective mods with maximum gains, exhaust or tune possibly?
bski111 is offline  
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:27 PM   #2
ThatGuy_JZ
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: CLT, NC
Posts: 995
My Ride: '02 Steel Blue 325Ci
Send a message via AIM to ThatGuy_JZ
You're better off getting a 3:46 rear end from an automatic, assuming you have a 5 speed. You'll feel that and spend less then you would on a tune.

Best mod I've done, but match it with a short shifter. I went affordable at understeer.com

And I have intake, muffler, and pulleys. Didn't feel crap from any of it. Sounds nice though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Bimmer App
__________________
- 2002 Steel Blue 325Ci -


Last edited by ThatGuy_JZ; 08-09-2012 at 09:33 PM.
ThatGuy_JZ is offline  
Old 08-09-2012, 09:28 PM   #3
Lemonsqr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 3,134
My Ride: 2001 TiAg 330i
no. Best thing to make your ride FEEL faster in a cost effective way is a diff swap. intakes, exauhsts, pulleys do next to nothing....no chips either
__________________
Lemonsqr is offline  
Old 08-09-2012, 09:36 PM   #4
j_block
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: SA TX
Posts: 1,239
My Ride: 2003 325i
What about headers?

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Bimmer App
__________________
j_block is offline  
Old 08-09-2012, 09:46 PM   #5
ThatGuy_JZ
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: CLT, NC
Posts: 995
My Ride: '02 Steel Blue 325Ci
Send a message via AIM to ThatGuy_JZ
I saw a thread with eBay headers showing a dyno proven 7 hp on a 325.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Bimmer App
__________________
- 2002 Steel Blue 325Ci -

ThatGuy_JZ is offline  
Old 08-09-2012, 11:26 PM   #6
Bimmerguy82
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: PNW, City of Rain
Posts: 525
My Ride: 2004 ZHP 6 SPD
I got 12whp from headers on my ZHP!
__________________
BMWCCA member #407674
___________
-Joshua
ZHPMafia.com member

Ebay headers | 3.38 diff | 2.5" cat-less exhaust | K&N intake | AA stage 1 software | UUC stage 1 light flywheel and clutch | UUC Evo 3 ssk
Bimmerguy82 is offline  
Old 08-09-2012, 11:41 PM   #7
choxor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 4,494
My Ride: JDM
This isn't a Civic. These cars are pretty well optimized from the factory. If you want actual gains you're going to have to shell out the cash.
__________________
choxor is offline  
Old 08-10-2012, 04:58 AM   #8
DHK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Estonia
Posts: 681
My Ride: 2002 BMW 325Ci
No offense meant, you may well know how to drive a high reving car but... A lot of people who want to increase power don't understand how to apply what they already have to the road anyway. These aren't muscle cars they aren't going to feel fast in normal driving conditions. Their real power band is the 4500-6200 RPM range, I think a lot of people are afraid to drive their cars like they are meant to be driven.
DHK is offline  
Old 08-10-2012, 05:32 AM   #9
dmax
Registered User
 
dmax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: NJ
Posts: 22,848
My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Quote:
Originally Posted by bski111 View Post
i have an 02 325ci and want to upgrade for more power. i recently installed an intake and felt a slight but not impressive gain. any ideas on cost effective mods with maximum gains, exhaust or tune possibly?
If you want an impressive gain, push the right pedal down further. Works for me every time...it really does.

Techron and gummi pflege is all you need besides this little trick!

You're welcome!
__________________


Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set Skip to 1:30
dmax is offline  
Old 08-10-2012, 07:05 AM   #10
jneumann
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,065
My Ride: 323i, 530i, Z4 3.0i
Send a message via AIM to jneumann
Quote:
Originally Posted by choxor View Post
This isn't a Civic. These cars are pretty well optimized from the factory. If you want actual gains you're going to have to shell out the cash.
This.





Quote:
Originally Posted by DHK View Post
No offense meant, you may well know how to drive a high reving car but... A lot of people who want to increase power don't understand how to apply what they already have to the road anyway. These aren't muscle cars they aren't going to feel fast in normal driving conditions. Their real power band is the 4500-6200 RPM range, I think a lot of people are afraid to drive their cars like they are meant to be driven.

And this.




Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
If you want an impressive gain, push the right pedal down further. Works for me every time...it really does.

Techron and gummi pflege is all you need besides this little trick!

You're welcome!
And this too, maybe coupled with downshifting a gear or two.

If you drive like a granny, e.g. never go over 5k, (or the previous owner did), throw a full bottle of Techron in a 1/2 tank of 93 octane and go beat the everloving crap out of it on some back roads until you need more fuel. Did wonders for my Z4 after it sat for 3 years in the PO's garage. Idled far better and the butt dyno said it was faster. Techron didn't do much for my 323i though, I'm assuming because I've driven it hard the whole time I've had it, as well as the PO, going back to ~60k miles.

Otherwise, headers are about all you can do for cheap. Only other NA mod I can think of that gives good gains are ZHP cams. ($$) Non OEM intakes have actually been known to decrease power. 3.46 diff is good, but not actually a power gain; it just changes how the power is put down. Still not a bad idea though.

Edit: Oh, and the M54B30 intake manifold is a pretty good option too, for the 2.5L.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Bimmer App
__________________
E46 323i Sport/5 speed/TiAg | 242k miles
E85 Z4 3.0i Sport/6 speed/Toledo Blue | 96k miles
E39 530i M-Sport/5 speed/Topaz Blue | 231k miles

Dynavin Android | Laser Interceptor | GRE PSR-800 | STi-R+ | M3 seats | 50W 4300K FX-R Retrofit | Solid black interior | Mtech II front bumper | Koni FSDs
Member, Three Pedal Mafia | Long informative article on oil | BITOG German Castrol FAQ


Last edited by jneumann; 08-10-2012 at 07:19 AM.
jneumann is offline  
Old 08-10-2012, 07:11 AM   #11
ac_2007
Registered User
 
ac_2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 7,086
My Ride: F32 M4, E46 M3/325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy_JZ View Post
I saw a thread with eBay headers showing a dyno proven 7 hp on a 325.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Bimmer App
Really? Because I saw 11whp, which equates to about 13 at the flywheel.


http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=490864
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpgolf1 View Post
The e46 M3 is by far the most boring and worst M3 that BMW has made to date.
It's amazing to me that a non M E46 is such a beautiful car but the E46 M has never done much for me.
ac_2007 is offline  
Old 09-01-2012, 02:41 PM   #12
BMW_CRAZY
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: NEW JERSEY
Posts: 30
My Ride: 2009 328i LCI BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy_JZ View Post
You're better off getting a 3:46 rear end from an automatic, assuming you have a 5 speed. You'll feel that and spend less then you would on a tune.

Best mod I've done, but match it with a short shifter. I went affordable at understeer.com

And I have intake, muffler, and pulleys. Didn't feel crap from any of it. Sounds nice though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Bimmer App
Sounds good but I live in New Jersey were you get snow at winter time by changing the rear end would the be safe or a real pain to drive?
BMW_CRAZY is offline  
Old 09-01-2012, 03:05 PM   #13
JasonLI25t
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Long Island
Posts: 485
My Ride: 2000 323ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_CRAZY View Post
Sounds good but I live in New Jersey were you get snow at winter time by changing the rear end would the be safe or a real pain to drive?
i'm not sure why you think changing the rear end will have any impact on your car's performance in the snow.
JasonLI25t is offline  
Old 09-01-2012, 03:08 PM   #14
Jay146992
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 127
My Ride: E90 335i & E46 M3
I got a tune from AA for my 330i and I noticed a little difference but IMO not worth $500.
__________________

07 335i - Eisenmann Exhaust, JB4, M-Tech Body Kit, 19" TSW Nurburgring Wheels.

06 M3 Vert- Stock
Jay146992 is offline  
Old 09-01-2012, 09:41 PM   #15
BMW_CRAZY
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: NEW JERSEY
Posts: 30
My Ride: 2009 328i LCI BMW
I was thinking it would slide too much or something ... So adding a automatic rear end to my manual will make a good difference? I'm going to try this :-)

Sent from my PC36100 using Bimmer App
BMW_CRAZY is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use