E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Motorsports & Track Forum

Motorsports & Track Forum
From Auto-X to Trackday to Racing and Professional Motorsports this is the place to discuss making BMWs fast

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-10-2012, 10:26 AM   #21
e46amazed

My Ride: M3
I re-bled the lines with a vacuum bleeder (from each valve) instead of with the power bleeder which was used before (pushed from the reservoir). The braking feels much much better when braking hard. I think from here I just need to properly bed the brakes when I can find some time to take the car out on the freeway with no traffic.

Thanks for the support magnetic1.
e46amazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 03:16 PM   #22
MrPedals

My Ride: E46 M3, Mystic Blau
Quote:
Originally Posted by e46amazed View Post
I re-bled the lines with a vacuum bleeder (from each valve) instead of with the power bleeder which was used before (pushed from the reservoir). The braking feels much much better when braking hard. I think from here I just need to properly bed the brakes when I can find some time to take the car out on the freeway with no traffic.

Thanks for the support magnetic1.
Before I bed them in they felt terrible as well. Like, scary. Also, the Z-Rated pads woulkd tend to take a little bit of time to heat up on really cold days, say anything under 40 degrees farenheit.

I just recently went to a track day and replaced the fronts with the PFC 08 compound and the same Z-rated compound in the rears. The fronts definately wouldn't have made it through a track day, but I don't think I needed to actually replace the rears. I did it anyway to make me feel better.

The PFC 08 compound has visibly worn the rotors since then, but there is still quite a bit of life left in them. The stopping power in the 08's is quite a bit nicer, more like what OEM pads felt like but without the fading after a few hard stops. Thes brakes are just nutters, I could initiate ABS at almost any time I want. On the street I am pleasantly surprised, they make some noise when they stop but not really as much as some other brands I've used. I'm keeping them on for now to see how long the rotors last. The initial bite and fade free performance is just too good.

Last edited by MrPedals; 08-10-2012 at 03:19 PM.
MrPedals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 05:44 PM   #23
e46amazed

My Ride: M3
Thanks for the feedback MrPedals! Keep us posted on the PFC 08 compound. Sounds like a nice choice.
e46amazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 04:41 PM   #24
MrPedals

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46amazed View Post
Thanks for the feedback MrPedals! Keep us posted on the PFC 08 compound. Sounds like a nice choice.
I went to San Francisco last weekend and got stuck in traffic crossing the bay bridge. Let me tell you, the 08 compound is pretty much horrible when it comes to traffic. There is something about the constant light application of the brakes that makes them just SQUEEEEEAL! Other than that, once you get going and drive normal they are completely tolerable. I would say if you are stuck in stop and go every day, just use the Z-rated pads. 08 Pads are just too much.
Old 08-30-2012, 05:30 PM   #25
JamesClay
Sponsor

My Ride: Any BMW with 4wheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPedals View Post
I went to San Francisco last weekend and got stuck in traffic crossing the bay bridge. Let me tell you, the 08 compound is pretty much horrible when it comes to traffic. There is something about the constant light application of the brakes that makes them just SQUEEEEEAL! Other than that, once you get going and drive normal they are completely tolerable. I would say if you are stuck in stop and go every day, just use the Z-rated pads. 08 Pads are just too much.
Keep in mind that the "stop and go traffic" that an 08 was intended for moves at 100+. Customers use race pads on street cars and it is workable, but definitely requires some compromising depending on your requirements.
www.bimmerworldracing.com

Bimmer World
JamesClay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 05:33 PM   #26
MrPedals

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesClay View Post
Keep in mind that the "stop and go traffic" that an 08 was intended for moves at 100+. Customers use race pads on street cars and it is workable, but definitely requires some compromising depending on your requirements.
Agreed 100%