E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-22-2012, 02:56 PM   #21
Chaos1187

My Ride: 01' 325i M54 BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by NISH View Post
Hi guys I'm new to the forum,so I must change illustration number one which is the steering shaft and ill no 2 which is the steering knuckle or joint,that should sort my problem out,for the rattling in steering column.thanks for all the help guys
Let us know if this fixes the problem man. I think it would be the joints but I am not sure. That is what I was going to try after I fix my other problem (fuel pump I believe)
Chaos1187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:24 AM   #22
agdiver

My Ride: bmw e46
Hi, i'm new to this forum too, my E46 318 2000 having the same problem
I checked those joint, they are OK

but the "play" is from steering column (shaft)
I found this video, i think its the same problem i have

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?desktop..._rcjYc9s&gl=ID

Does anybody manage to fix this, or just simply replace the steering column?

Sent from my PTM722HR using Bimmer App
agdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:33 AM   #23
Lestat_

My Ride: E46 318ci M-Sport
If you replaced/checked both couplings and still have play, it's coming from telescopic mechanism in the column itself. Very badly designed. It can be fixed but whole thing must be disassembled and reinforced. No parts that can be replaced unfortunately.
Old 08-10-2012, 11:40 AM   #24
NISH

My Ride: BMW 318i E46
Thanks guys lestat any pics we're is the problematic part in situated in the column itself.I am a VW qualified mechanic,u tink I can have a go at this,the steering column looks complicated to remove on a bmw,dnt wnt to go breaking any parts while opening,which will cost me a fortune.thanks guys for all the help.guess I jus got to find someone that did it @ posts the outcome of this fix.
NISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 12:04 PM   #25
Lestat_

Quote:
Thanks guys lestat any pics we're is the problematic part in situated in the column itself.I am a VW qualified mechanic,u tink I can have a go at this,the steering column looks complicated to remove on a bmw,dnt wnt to go breaking any parts while opening,which will cost me a fortune.thanks guys for all the help.guess I jus got to find someone that did it @ posts the outcome of this fix.
check this out

that white bush (steering angle sensor sits on top of it) have to be tightened onto the splined rod. I've done this about a year ago and I can't remember exactly but in any case that bush has to be taken off.

Then I've used metal epoxy potty to take out the play between the outer sleeve and that bushing. Lay the metal epoxy down and press the bushing in when the epoxy has just begun to harden.

Last edited by Lestat_; 08-10-2012 at 12:05 PM.
Lestat_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 12:42 PM   #26
NISH

Thanks buddy will try and have a go at it wen I'm weekend off.next week.yes exactly same feeling if I hold my steering knuckle joint in the engine bay @ play with it up @ dwn gives me the replica of what the video portraits.
Old 08-11-2012, 03:56 AM   #27
Lestat_

Quote:
Thanks buddy will try and have a go at it wen I'm weekend off.next week.yes exactly same feeling if I hold my steering knuckle joint in the engine bay @ play with it up @ dwn gives me the replica of what the video portraits.
No problem, let us know how it went.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:31 PM   #28
agdiver

My Ride: bmw e46
maybe this will help a little bit ?

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...1#post14650057
agdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:14 AM   #29
NISH

Hi guys I replaced the steering coupling on my bmw all was replaced.lestat u mentioned something about a white bush @ epoxy can u shed more light on that @ as to we're its located.that noise is annoyn @ frustrating,any helps will be appreciated.thanks guys keep well on that side of the world.
Old 10-13-2012, 01:11 AM   #30
Evo lol

My Ride: 03 330Xi
My 2003 330xi is doing the same thing. Noise over bumps and up and down play in steering wheel. Before I spend 150 on a steering coupler id like to make sure its that and not the column bearings or something to that nature. Also on cold idle my whole steering wheel shakes and rattles. That's how bad mine is at 136,000 miles

Last edited by Evo lol; 10-13-2012 at 01:13 AM.
Evo lol is offline   Reply With Quote