E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-10-2012, 09:37 AM   #21
cposk

My Ride: 08' E90 M3
Haha this BMW fan boy stuff cracks me up. With maybe the exception of an M3, the E46 isn't that special. It's a great all around car, but doesn't bring home the gold in any one category.

E9x M3 is the same way. Great all around car, but plenty of other great options in the price range.

You shouldn't need to start a thread about regretting the thought of selling a 323...

Disclaimer: I own both a e46 and e90, but I know there are plenty of other cars that are just as good or better.
cposk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:42 AM   #22
Miko_10

My Ride: 330i 5 Spd
I've thought about it plenty of times since it's a 10+ yr old of a car, but it only takes a few spirited drives to remind me that I own one of the best production cars of all time, at least in my eyes. It's like owning your own roller coaster and you have full control. Depending on how well/bad the previous owner took care of the car your maintenance issues will vary, but w/ owning a used car not many cars that you put money into will give you the same kind of driving experience that no words can fully describe. Keep up with the maintenance and get a good set of winter tires. I've daily driven my car for years and having a set of dedicated winter tires has come in handy plenty of times.
Old 08-10-2012, 10:51 AM   #23
nlav26

My Ride: 2001 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by cposk View Post
Haha this BMW fan boy stuff cracks me up. With maybe the exception of an M3, the E46 isn't that special. It's a great all around car, but doesn't bring home the gold in any one category.

E9x M3 is the same way. Great all around car, but plenty of other great options in the price range.

You shouldn't need to start a thread about regretting the thought of selling a 323...

Disclaimer: I own both a e46 and e90, but I know there are plenty of other cars that are just as good or better.
it brings home the gold as the overall package, which is why its the best.
Old 08-10-2012, 11:08 AM   #24
cposk

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfan5420 View Post
it brings home the gold as the overall package, which is why its the best.
Which is a subjective "medal", depending on how much weight each individual gives to a category. If you want fast, E46 is not for you. If you want track, E46 is not for you. If you want exotic, E46 is not for you.

Too me, it seems that it is this attitude that gives BMW owners the stuck up, "my car is better than yours" persona.

I guess I just have an uncommon appreciation for all vehicles. Anything from a 80's diesel truck to the bullet proof motor dodge put in the SRT-4.
Old 08-10-2012, 12:40 PM   #25
bighitbiker3

My Ride: Nothing as of yet.
Quote:
Which is a subjective "medal", depending on how much weight each individual gives to a category. If you want fast, E46 is not for you. If you want track, E46 is not for you. If you want exotic, E46 is not for you.

Too me, it seems that it is this attitude that gives BMW owners the stuck up, "my car is better than yours" persona.

I guess I just have an uncommon appreciation for all vehicles. Anything from a 80's diesel truck to the bullet proof motor dodge put in the SRT-4.
I think as fanatics, most of us have appreciation for all types of vehicles. However, I can't think of a better overall car than the E46 in the price range that it's in.

Hell, i appreciate a Toyota Previa that's dumped.

Of course there are faster cars. Of course there are better track cars. Of course there are more exotic cars. Hell, I could go ahead and buy a heavily boosted 240 and beat almost anything on the road. I'd be sitting on cloth seats, with a plastic interior, and rock-hard suspension though.

I think we all know our cars are not the best. To think that would be ignorant as fvck. But looking in the same price range as the E46, I can't think of a better overall option.
Old 08-10-2012, 01:09 PM   #26
ac_2007

My Ride: E46 - M3 & 325i
Quote:

People like thier cars, it has nothing to do with being a fanboy or stuck-up.

Name me any other used cars in the same budget that would have comparable:
  • features
  • looks/lines
  • fuel economy
  • handling
  • safety
  • ease of DIY repairs

..and the SRT4 motor is the same 2.4 PT Cruiser motor with a turbo. It sucks ass in stock form and spins rod bearings all the time (ask me how I know)

Last edited by ac_2007; 08-10-2012 at 01:56 PM. Reason: typo
ac_2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 01:33 PM   #27
cposk

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighitbiker3 View Post
I think as fanatics, most of us have appreciation for all types of vehicles. However, I can't think of a better overall car than the E46 in the price range that it's in.

Hell, i appreciate a Toyota Previa that's dumped.

Of course there are faster cars. Of course there are better track cars. Of course there are more exotic cars. Hell, I could go ahead and buy a heavily boosted 240 and beat almost anything on the road. I'd be sitting on cloth seats, with a plastic interior, and rock-hard suspension though.

I think we all know our cars are not the best. To think that would be ignorant as fvck. But looking in the same price range as the E46, I can't think of a better overall option.
Haha, speaking of 240s... My favorite car yet was my RB20 S13 running a 3071r. It was completely gutted (dash and everything) and I'm convinced the suspension didn't move for than a milometer. I looked like this everytime that striaght-6 hit 9K rpms.

E90 M3 sounds good, but nothing sounds better than a RB or 2jz (well for under $200k)

ac_2007, sorry for arguing, BMWs rock I'll have to do some research on the SRT-4 motor, but I know multiple that are "budget" built and make 400+ whp (which means 1-4 is useless, FWD fail).
Old 08-10-2012, 01:54 PM   #28
DHK

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325Ci
I honestly cant think of another car you can get for under 10 grand, that ticks all the boxes that the e46 does. Their are more comfortable cars, there are more luxurious cars, there are faster cars, there are cars with better ride quality, there are better handling cars, there are more practical cars, but at far as Im concerned their is nothing that mixes them as well as the e46 strait six models that can be had for under 10k. There is nothing that is as fun to drive, and affordableish to own, that is still moderately luxurious and very much practical.

I drove a C class, and it is very very comfortable and more spacious in terms of rear leg room and trunk space. Mercedes does interiors better than anyone else but its just not as good to drive, it doesn't feel as good in corrners and their manual boxes are kinda clunky. Also for under or near 10k you cant get near the HP of a 325. Mercedes are also at least as expensive to maintain as a BMW if not worse.

I drove a 350z and on a windy road this is miles ahead of a ZHP, round a track (though i didnt drive it there) its in M3 territory at least time wise. But drive it over a speedbump or even a moderately bad road and it seems to have almost no suspension at all. The interior doesn't hold a candle to the e46, it is worse on gas, only has 2 seats and has a far smaller trunk. Also finding a good 350z that hasnt been molested near 10k is not so easy.

The volvo I drove is probably the most comfortable car I have ever been in, in terms of layout and luxury the Merc beats it but just sitting in that car it feels like I never want to get out the suspension also sucks up bumps very very nicely. Its also super reliant, very practical and more fun to drive then one might think. But its way down on power, its FWD and it suffers terrible body roll. And again its hard to find a good modern one around 10K.

To be totally honest the only car that came close to me was a e39 5 series but I decided I wanted a coupe and the 5 series on offer in my location were in worse condition then the e46 I got. If I wanted performance alone I would have held out for a 350Z in the right price range that wasn't totally destroyed. If I wanted practicality and comfort alone I would have gone for the Volvo. What I wanted was a car that was fun to drive, but I could still get 4 adults and a bunch of crap into it If I needed to I also wanted a coupe, and that left me with the e46 as the obvious choice.
DHK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 01:59 PM   #29
ac_2007

Quote:
ac_2007, sorry for arguing, BMWs rock I'll have to do some research on the SRT-4 motor, but I know multiple that are "budget" built and make 400+ whp (which means 1-4 is useless, FWD fail).
You're not arguing, I'm honestly interested in having someone name me some other car models withing the same budget that are comparable. My list comes up short, I can't think of any.

SRT4 motor is amazing for a budget but only once its built.
Considering it for my Neon, but most likely I'll just end up fix the existing enigne.
Old 08-10-2012, 02:08 PM   #30
nlav26

Quote:

who spends 8k looking for an exotic, fast, track car?

I do have an appreciation for all kinds of cars. Just happen to think you cant get much better for what you pay
Old 08-10-2012, 02:20 PM   #31
cposk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac_2007 View Post
You're not arguing, I'm honestly interested in having someone name me some other car models withing the same budget that are comparable. My list comes up short, I can't think of any.

SRT4 motor is amazing for a budget but only once its built.
Considering it for my Neon, but most likely I'll just end up fix the existing enigne.
Ok my list goes like this. I'm thinking a budget of right around 10k. Now we obviously have different tastes. I can sacrifice almost any comfort/feature for performance, but I'll try to stay reasonable.

First one that comes to mind is WRX. Definitely reliable and safe, easy to work on. They look good, just not as classy. Some comforts/features are given up but it's faster. An EVO would also be about the same.

2nd. IS300. Not sure about reliability, but definitely safe, easy to work on, looks good (and still classy). They come with all the comforts of an E46.

3nd. Infiniti G35.

4th. Acura TL/CL/TL-S/CL-S. Reliable, easy to work on, comfortable. Maybe a slight dip in performance.

5th. (Flame Suit On) Civic SI. Reliable, easy and cheap to work on, less classy and not as comfortable. Faster but FWD

6th. Volvo S60R. Don't know much about it, but fast volvos are awesome. I'm definitely open on this one.

I left Audi/Merc out because working on them absolutely blows. Let hear your thoughts.

Last edited by cposk; 08-10-2012 at 02:25 PM.
Old 08-10-2012, 02:24 PM   #32
cposk

Quote:
who spends 8k looking for an exotic, fast, track car?
A college kid. My S13 was all of those things and I spent a little less than that.
Old 08-10-2012, 02:39 PM   #33
2003silver330i

My Ride: 03 BMW 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrace View Post
go test drive some cars, take your e46, you'll figure out you're true feelings quickly.

Mine was that I love the e46 but didn't love my car...now I own an e46 m3 (I will keep this car until I die, I'm 23). A well maintained e46 is a timeless car.

I've had the M3 for 9 weeks now and I still can't believe I own it. I get nervous every time I turn the key...I arrive everywhere excited and jittery. It feels like doing something you weren't suppose to as a kid and getting away with it every time.
I felt this way with my 2004 Cobra but that thing is long gone. When the repairs start on your M3 you may feel differently. I just bought my E46 in February and already have the thoughts of selling it. My current problems have been or are currently on-going:

I have to fill up the low coolant once a month...so something is leaking.
The power steering reservoir/line is leaking.
Passenger side and back doors won't unlock.
Fuel pump went out.
Blown drivers side back tire.
Bad front control arm bushings.
A/C started blown warm air today.
Bad passenger window regulator.
Windshield washer pump.
Headlight washer pump not working.

This all has started since February.
2003silver330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 02:54 PM   #34
scrace

My Ride: 03.5 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003silver330i View Post
I felt this way with my 2004 Cobra but that thing is long gone. When the repairs start on your M3 you may feel differently. I just bought my E46 in February and already have the thoughts of selling it. My current problems have been or are currently on-going:

I have to fill up the low coolant once a month...so something is leaking.
The power steering reservoir/line is leaking.
Passenger side and back doors won't unlock.
Fuel pump went out.
Blown drivers side back tire.
Bad front control arm bushings.
A/C started blown warm air today.
Bad passenger window regulator.
Windshield washer pump.
Headlight washer pump not working.

This all has started since February.
That's because you bought someones else's problems and you weren't prepared to spend $2000 after you bought the car. I bought a well taken care of 70k mile M3, I've spent in parts alone $1500 just to have all the maintenance done. Everything you listed is something I PLAN on having break at some point. Good news is that if you buy from getbmwparts.com you have a 2YR/Unlimited milage warranty on your new replacement parts...sounds like a great deal to me.

Meaning in the last 5000 miles (3 years, thats all it was driven), there has been new tires, rotors, brakes, clutch, guibo, tranny mounts & RTABs.

The previous owner probably never had a valve adjustment...18 were out of spec.

In the last 500 miles I've done coolant, rear diff change, cdv delete, 330d shifter, zhp knob, aux cable, fixed window regulator, upper radiator hose, oil change, vanos filter change, vanos sealing plate, fuel filter, cabin filter, air filter, cleaned MAF sensor, battery, spark plugs, windshield wipers and VCG.

I knew what I was getting myself into and picked my accordingly. I could have gotten one with 20-30k miles but I couldn't afford to do the proper maintenance.

On the bright side I will have a near brand new car for around $23k all said and done. Almost a 1/3 of the price new....and I will keep it until I die. I couldn't be happier. Ask me about my headaches in my 325 from the previous owner....

2001 Topaz Blue 325Ci 64-120k miles SOLD
2003.5 Silver Gray M3 70k miles

Last edited by scrace; 08-10-2012 at 02:57 PM.
scrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 02:59 PM   #35
nlav26

Quote:
A college kid. My S13 was all of those things and I spent a little less than that.
no disrespect intended but, a nissan is exotic?
Old 08-10-2012, 03:01 PM   #36
2003silver330i

My Ride: 03 BMW 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrace View Post
That's because you bought someones else's problems and you weren't prepared to spend $2000 after you bought the car. I bought a well taken care of 70k mile M3, I've spent in parts alone $1500 just to have all the maintenance done. Everything you listed is something I PLAN on having break at some point. Good news is that if you buy from getbmwparts.com you have a 2YR/Unlimited milage warranty on your new replacement parts...sounds like a great deal to me.

Meaning in the last 5000 miles (3 years, thats all it was driven), there has been new tires, rotors, brakes, clutch, guibo, tranny mounts & RTABs.

The previous owner probably never had a valve adjustment...18 were out of spec.

In the last 500 miles I've done coolant, rear diff change, cdv delete, 330d shifter, zhp knob, aux cable, fixed window regulator, upper radiator hose, oil change, vanos filter change, vanos sealing plate, fuel filter, cabin filter, air filter, cleaned MAF sensor, battery, spark plugs, windshield wipers and VCG.

I knew what I was getting myself into and picked my accordingly. I could have gotten one with 20-30k miles but I couldn't afford to do the proper maintenance.

On the bright side I will have a near brand new car for around $23k all said and done. Almost a 1/3 of the price new....and I will keep it until I die. I couldn't be happier. Ask me about my headaches in my 325 from the previous owner....
That is a strong statement to say you will keep it until you die. As you get older your priorities and tastes will change. The M3 is a nice car but it is not the be all and end all of current and future sports cars.
2003silver330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 03:14 PM   #37
ac_2007

I like the list, here are my comments:

Quote:
Ok my list goes like this. I'm thinking a budget of right around 10k. Now we obviously have different tastes. I can sacrifice almost any comfort/feature for performance, but I'll try to stay reasonable.

First one that comes to mind is WRX. Definitely reliable and safe, easy to work on. They look good, just not as classy. Some comforts/features are given up but it's faster. An EVO would also be about the same.
- Interor blows, door are paper thin, most are beat for that price, like you said the comfort is just not the same.
2nd. IS300. Not sure about reliability, but definitely safe, easy to work on, looks good (and still classy). They come with all the comforts of an E46.
- Ok agreed. But very rare to come across one for that budget with manual tranny. The interior is amazing.
3nd. Infiniti G35.
- Fast, but shoddy plastic interior. Price is a problem again, a clean one is well into M3 budgets.
4th. Acura TL/CL/TL-S/CL-S. Reliable, easy to work on, comfortable. Maybe a slight dip in performance.
- Agreed. Forgot about the CL.
5th. (Flame Suit On) Civic SI. Reliable, easy and cheap to work on, less classy and not as comfortable. Faster but FWD
- Tried to buy one before my E46 came along. It had 147k, the E46 had 74k (KM not miles). Good car.
6th. Volvo S60R. Don't know much about it, but fast volvos are awesome. I'm definitely open on this one.
- Unreliable, hard to find in R. Looks are meh, yes its fast.
I left Audi/Merc out because working on them absolutely blows. Let hear your thoughts.

Last edited by ac_2007; 08-10-2012 at 03:15 PM.
ac_2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 03:27 PM   #38
cposk

Quote:
no disrespect intended but, a nissan is exotic?
Thanks for being such an ass. JK. The reasons it was "exotic" (according to webster - strikingly, excitingly, or mysteriously different or unusual):

-RB series motor vs. SR
-Garrett 3071r
-275's Rears with heavy neg. camber, 245 fronts, couldn't even fit a finger in the wheel gap.
-THE SOUND! haha

You really had to see it to appreciate it. It looked and sounded like a straight race car. I turned more heads with it than my red Viper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac_2007 View Post
I like the list, here are my comments:
Yep, each to their own. I value fast where you value interior quality. Oh and 100% agreed that all WRXs are beat, that is almost fact.

Last edited by cposk; 08-10-2012 at 03:28 PM.
Old 08-10-2012, 05:20 PM   #39
scrace

My Ride: 03.5 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003silver330i View Post
That is a strong statement to say you will keep it until you die. As you get older your priorities and tastes will change. The M3 is a nice car but it is not the be all and end all of current and future sports cars.
Definitely isn't the end all be all, but it is my favorite car realistically priced....ever.

2001 Topaz Blue 325Ci 64-120k miles SOLD
2003.5 Silver Gray M3 70k miles
scrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 05:27 PM   #40
MercForHire

My Ride: sold...
$15k 4 seats 333 hp beast and handles like a racing car. It's true, there is no comparison to the e46 M3.
MercForHire is offline   Reply With Quote