E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 17 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-20-2012, 06:47 PM   #41
BimmaDrew

My Ride: 04 ///M3 6MT
Awesome system and equipment! That orange gel cover looks like it made the MS8 display match quite well and I might do it to mine once I put it into my next Bimmer!

How does your Image Dynamics sound in that enclosure in the trunk? I have the IDQ10, but mine was ported since I had the space in my old truck. Now that I'm looking to get a car again, I am not sure if I want to use all of that space...

My Current E46 - '04 Mystic Blue M3

My old E46 and CarPC install
BimmaDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:34 AM   #42
radarcontact

My Ride: 2006 330CiC/ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmaDrew View Post
Awesome system and equipment! That orange gel cover looks like it made the MS8 display match quite well and I might do it to mine once I put it into my next Bimmer!

How does your Image Dynamics sound in that enclosure in the trunk? I have the IDQ10, but mine was ported since I had the space in my old truck. Now that I'm looking to get a car again, I am not sure if I want to use all of that space...
Well thank you, very much. Kind words!

The orange gel was an idea of mine but reverse engineered by a friend on another forum...he figured out how to actually do it. I can provide you with the link whenever you are ready. Pm me.

I think my sub sounds fantastic. It blends perfectly! I designed the enclosure for a Q of .8, so it's tight and low, not loose and resonant. And when I made it, I paid a lot of attention to solidifying and "sureing-up" the larger flat spots to prevent unwanted box resonances. My only regret is that I didn't work some kind of grill into the design...I wanted to do it afterwards, but there was no clean way to do it at that point. I just have to be a little careful not to jab it with things, on the are occasion that I load up the trunk.
In my sig there are links to the sub build and some other projects I've done.

Cheers!
radarcontact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:36 AM   #43
radarcontact

Quote:
Originally Posted by intelone View Post
We're not all a bunch of jarheads.
Lol, I didn't mean it in a condescending or "oxymoron" kind of way. I used to do some intel-specific work years ago...I love it! Thanks for your service, buddy!
Old 05-22-2012, 11:21 PM   #44
BimmaDrew

My Ride: 04 ///M3 6MT
Great job on fiberglassing the sub enclosure! I forgot how much room is in that corner of the trunk when you don't have the optional stereo stuff (such as 6 disc changer or amps once you fill those in there).

My Current E46 - '04 Mystic Blue M3

My old E46 and CarPC install
BimmaDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 12:03 PM   #45
Dirtboy
Grüne Hölle Junkie

My Ride: ESS TS2+ 330Ci
Send a message via Yahoo to Dirtboy
Hey Radar, have you installed the DLS speakers yet? I've never heard of them and I'm shopping around for front speakers for my e46. I've got Polks in my e30 (MS8, JL amps in there too). I just want to go a different route with the e46 and get as much mid-bass as possible in the front doors. Your thoughts?
Old 08-10-2012, 02:05 AM   #46
radarcontact

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtboy View Post
Hey Radar, have you installed the DLS speakers yet? I've never heard of them and I'm shopping around for front speakers for my e46. I've got Polks in my e30 (MS8, JL amps in there too). I just want to go a different route with the e46 and get as much mid-bass as possible in the front doors. Your thoughts?
I really had a hell of a time getting the sound I wanted from the multiple amps and ms-8, to be honest. I didn't have the time to dick with it all, so I just lived with it for a long time. Then I saw a trick on how to manipulate the ms-8 during calibration, and "viola!", instant awesome!

I think they are good speakers. I would love to hear them as a set, with the OEM crossovers in a drop in replacement setup...just to see how they sound as delivered from DLS, you know? I'm kinda using the drivers a la cart due to the ms-8 and separate amps running the mids and tweets.

I think I liked my CDT silk domes better than the DLS tweeters, but it's so hard to say because my setups were/are completely, completely different for each. The DLS mids put out copious amounts of bass though! I actually turned down my bass, if you can believe that! Lol

I'm very happy now, but the install was a bitch. If you can find some drop in replacements that have a good rep, you may want to go that route. If you do go with the DLS, have lots of watts, they are very low efficiency.

Last edited by radarcontact; 08-10-2012 at 02:06 AM.
Old 08-10-2012, 03:01 PM   #47
Dirtboy
Grüne Hölle Junkie

Thanks for the heads up. I'm not going with a straight drop in speaker. I want to build the baffles and mount the speakers to the doors. I may just have to go out and try to listen to different speakers and see what I can find.
What's the MS8 setup trick you discovered? I got tired of reading through the novel on DIYMA.
Old 08-10-2012, 03:35 PM   #48
radarcontact

Quote:
Thanks for the heads up. I'm not going with a straight drop in speaker. I want to build the baffles and mount the speakers to the doors. I may just have to go out and try to listen to different speakers and see what I can find.
What's the MS8 setup trick you discovered? I got tired of reading through the novel on DIYMA.
Now, you may have more door space, and therefore options with the non-vert...I don't really know about any except mine.

Ms8 tip (and I agree about the novel...Jesus!):
Before the first "look straight ahead" sweep, I covered the front tweeters. I just folded a washcloth, put a piece of duct tape on the top and hung it over the tweeter. As soon as that first sweep is done, remove them for the rest of the cal. Until you do the passenger side, then do it again the same way, etc. for each seating position. But only for that first quick sweep.
I thought my polarity was off, or an amp was jacked...I didn't know what was up, but it sounded like a transister radio instead of a 1000w+ multi amp, high quality system. Did the trick and I swear, it cured everything! Had to turn down the bass on my ms-8. Crazy how sophisticated that box is, huh?
Old 08-10-2012, 03:43 PM   #49
radarcontact

Details on the speaker install here:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=925125

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1344627811.256600.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	464350
Old 08-10-2012, 06:51 PM   #50
Dirtboy
Grüne Hölle Junkie

That's one tip I'm going to have to remember. I had the MS8 sounding pretty good in the e30; and it's a PITA to get a good soundstage in that car.

Nice install BTW!
Old 08-10-2012, 11:43 PM   #51
radarcontact

Quote:
Nice install BTW!
Thanks, buddy!

I want to run new wiring from the amps to the speakers, but I'm kinda burnt out on it for now. I'll get bored in the winter and pull that car apart yet one more time, I'm sure.
Old 08-11-2012, 12:49 AM   #52
Dirtboy
Grüne Hölle Junkie

I hear ya. I want to do work on my car but it's usually over 120F in my garage during the day here. F that! I'll have to wait till it gets cooler here, some time in December... LOL
Old 10-27-2013, 11:33 PM   #53
chiefquimbe

My Ride: 2004 BMW 325I
Quote:
Originally Posted by radarcontact View Post
I'm very happy with my system now, but that doesn't mean that I'm done! But the power and processing section of the system are complete; they look and sound great!

The system consists of:

Power and electronics section:
- BMW business factory head unit (w/factory amp bypassed)
- JBL MS-8 signal processor/equalizer/time alignment unit (with amber gel-treated display to match interior lights)
- Alpine MRP-F240 running:
- - front tweeters at 40 watts per channel
- - rear fill speakers at 40 watts per channel
- ARC Audio xdi805 running:
- - single subwoofer at 400 watts
- - front mid-bass at 240 watts per channel

Speakers:
- CDT 6.5" front mid-bass drivers*
- Massive Audio front tweeters*
- CDT 5.25" coax rear fill drivers
- Image Dynamics 12" sub driven a 2 ohms (in my own custom fiberglass enclosure)

*these speakers will be replaced with DLS Reference drivers very soon...

Attachment 437724

Attachment 437725

Attachment 437726

Attachment 437727

Attachment 437728

Attachment 437729

Great info!!
I am new here and planning to install the MS-8 soon. One question, where did you tap into to get the high-level FR and FL inputs from? Did you run the wires from the front of the car to the trunk where you had the MS-8 mounted?
Cheers!
chiefquimbe is offline   Reply With Quote