E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-10-2012, 10:09 AM   #1
jgold47

My Ride: 2004 X5 3.0
Sedan Rear Deck Removal-DIY

Hi everyone - I havent been able to find a comprehensive rear deck removal DIY/thread for a sedan (that doesnt have a fold down seat)

As near as I can piece together, you remove the upper and lower seatbacks, remove the headrests, remove the c-pillar and speakers, and then what?

TIA!

my about me link
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=791566

Last edited by jgold47; 08-10-2012 at 09:27 PM.
jgold47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-10-2012, 09:40 PM   #2
jgold47

My Ride: 2004 X5 3.0
Ok- this was super easy. Here is what I had to do. I have a sedan. I don't have folding seats.

1. tools

T-50 Torx on socket
13mm socket
something to remove your speakers (mine were already aftermarket/different screws)
something long and skinny (not your cack) to pop rivets
flat head
trim popper
needle nose

Remove rear seat by grabbing from under the front and pulling up. It should come out pretty easily.

Remove center headrest. I was able to get mine out just by pulling up.

Stick your hand between where the rear seat hits the doorframe and pull forward. It should pop out, repeat on the other side.

Remove the pop rivets along the front edge of the rear parcel shelf.

Move the other two head rests all the way up

remove the caps covering the baby seat anchors and remove the 13mm nuts

remove your rear deck speakers.

Pop out your c-pillar lights by wedging them out.

pop out your c-pillars by popping them out, just given them a yank.

once you have removed the rivets, stick your trim popper under the front lip and lift up slightly until you can see the headrest posts. You will be able to see the they are held on by c-clips. Use your needle nose pliers to pop the rings off and remove the head rests.

now, everything should be lose except for the seat belts holding everything down.

unscrew the bolts holding the seat belts using the t-50.

now, slide the rear deck forward, it should just slide off - with the seat belts still attached the to deck.

remove those t-50 holding the deck on, and viola, your rear deck should be out.

it took me 25 minutes.

good luck!!

my about me link
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=791566

jgold47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:57 AM   #3
markusmarkus

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
Trick!

The trick to removing the rear headrests is to lift the headrest to its highest point and then use the slipjoint pliers to rotate the vertical pins/rods about 45 degrees. The headrests and their associated pins will slide right out.
markusmarkus is offline   Reply With Quote