E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-31-2011, 04:15 AM   #1
figjam911

My Ride: 1999-323i
New Window Regulator has Jammed

What a bummer...I changed over my passenger door window regulator 2 days ago, tested it! ....worked great until today when it jammed. Now I have to pull the door trim, airbag and liner off again to check why. I was certain I tightened the 2 bolts holding the glass...

Any ideas what caused this jam?

Colin Boucher
figjam911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-31-2011, 08:42 AM   #2
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
Is the regulator OEM? Did you get the new red clip, bolt and bushing?
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 04:17 PM   #3
figjam911

Not oem...I used the old red clip, bolt and bushing. But why would that be an issue?

Plenty of posts here with people using aftermarket regulators as the OEM ones have crappy plastic parts in them anyway! And the OEM ones fail the same way as aftermarket.

Colin Boucher
Old 12-31-2011, 05:43 PM   #4
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
Well first, you should have bought an OEM regulator (search why).

You HAVE to replace the red clip. I decided to get the clip, bolt and bushing just to have everything new. I installed the regulator with the old clip and the window kept messing up on me. The cause? The red clip.
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 06:17 PM   #5
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
If the red clip is broken, the window would be low on one side and would jam.

But also, if you didn't put the regulator back in exactly the same spot the old one was, using the shadows of the nuts from before as guides, then that could also put it out of alignment.

The fronts really don't have an adjustment for alignment that I know of, but the rears do...at least in a sedan they do.

Only other thing would be dirty tracks...clean inside with papertowel and silicone lube...wouldn't hurt.

AM parts often don't work as well as OE, OP; Jake might be right that it's just that. Also, as far as your saying that AM regulators break like OE...well, all I can say is that I fixed my driver's regulator a few months ago. It was original at around 220K miles. I hear the AM ones failing in a couple of years. Just don't try to open the windows when they're frozen closed...which I think explains why so many regulators fail before their time...that, and no one cleans the window tracks! Which reminds me!

Oh, and make sure you seal the vapor barrier well...if it's not sealed, you'll have an issue with water in the car. 3M Window Weld Roll (not caulk), dum dum, is the same as what BMW calls butyl tape--used above the center support bracket of the driveshaft too!

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com

Last edited by dmax; 12-31-2011 at 06:19 PM.
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 07:19 PM   #6
figjam911

I pulled it apart to see why it jammed...No problems with the red clips...in good condition and didn't realise to replace.

The cable had come of the track wheel for some reason. Put it back on and all OK after testing about 20 or more times in door.

The whole issue of these regulators is a bad design from BMW with the cable clips, but a friend who has a Merc has done all of his as well.

In Australia here we don't have freezing issues....What is the issue here as would be in some states in the USA is heat that makes the plastic brittle over time and the plastic in the sliding parts breaks...I did put it back together using the Zipties as well for extra security against breakage.

We'll see how long the AM regulator lasts!!! If it fails..I'll do it again..not a big deal for me! A couple of hours work at most...

Colin Boucher

Last edited by figjam911; 12-31-2011 at 07:43 PM.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:34 PM   #7
BigMikeE46

My Ride: 02 325i, 03 SC COBRA
Send a message via AIM to BigMikeE46
Son of a *****...Its 20 F degrees outside...and i decided to drop my window down a little to speak to my brother and it didn't want to go back up...it made a CHUNK...CHUNK...and then quick clicky clicks. I just changed the damn regulator last week for both front windows. Down wasn't a problem, up won't do nothing...Please someone tell me its because its cold and it will be back to normal... btw, what red clips?, i returned everything the way its suppose to.

Below is a pic taken on 1/16/10
Photobucket
BigMikeE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 10:49 PM   #8
figjam911

That's a bummer!!

The red clips are in fact a washer that goes between the glass and the clip that holds the glass onto the regulator sliding brackets. I am told these should be replaced when changing the regulator. I never did so with mine as were in good condition...maybe that's no excuse!! But there in a raised section on the red clip that you have to get into a slot so the window will not come out of the regulator bracket if the bolt is loose.

Touch wood...I did mine again..drove around for 2 days with a door lining too test...all seems OK so I put it back together again. Touch wood all OK!

I had to pull mine up by hand...with my good wife holding the button !!

Colin Boucher
Old 08-11-2012, 02:22 AM   #9
Law 330Ci

My Ride: 330Ci M Sport
What tool did you use to remove these red clips/bolts? On the left (passenger side) I can see a bolt, but it has a star shaped nut - which I don't have a socket set for! An I missing something? In mine I got the regulator out easy enough but the cable is all mangled and now I can't get the damn frame loose.
Law 330Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 03:05 AM   #10
figjam911

I'll be quite frank...it was so long ago...I can't remember. I'm sure my car just had a hex head bolt, not star shaped. If it has a star shape recess it would be a Torx head and you need a Torx bit to loosen.

Can you send a photo please? Then I might be able to assist better!

Cheers,

Colin

Colin Boucher
Old 08-11-2012, 03:07 AM   #11
figjam911

Touch wood...I used aftermarket, not OEM regulators and haven't had a problem since replacing them...Just thought I'de mention that!!

Cheers,

Colin

Colin Boucher
Old 08-11-2012, 03:20 AM   #12
Law 330Ci

I'll post a picture when I get home. I just spoke with BMW and they want 114 for the part alone... God knows what the fitting will cost me on top!
Old 08-11-2012, 03:32 AM   #13
figjam911

What part is that...is it the regulator? If so, as I said I've had no problems using aftermarket non OEM regulators!! Much cheaper!!

Cheers,

Colin

Colin Boucher
Old 08-11-2012, 03:58 AM   #14
Law 330Ci

The price quoted was just for a new regulator. The cable is all chewed up behind the motor. On every other car I've replaced things like this myself but I can't get the window down enough to even get access to the bolts (which look like torx bolts).
Old 08-11-2012, 06:06 AM   #15
BimmersGarage

My Ride: E46 330i
Send a message via Skype™ to BimmersGarage
If your old/failed regulator is preventing you from gaining access to your window-clip bolts, you may need to cut the cables in the old regulators themselves, so you can slide the glass enough.
BimmersGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 04:46 PM   #16
jayb328i

My Ride: E46 2000 328i
I have had 6 window regulators changed in my E46. Twice I used AM regulators --only because I figured they cannot be worse than the OEM regulators. No problems with the AM. I compared the AM to the OEM regulator and they look identical in all respects. They are so close you know that the Chinese did an excellent job in copying the original. But not sure if all AM ones are the same quality. But I do know that the BMW ones are poor quality. I never changed the red clip, but should have. Never had a problem with the clip--and each time I looked at it carefully and it appeared to be in good shape. On my car the clip snaps into a hole in the glass, just snaps in and out after you remove the screw from the regulator. If I need to change another regulator, I will start changing the clip.
jayb328i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 05:13 PM   #17
tomoyer

My Ride: 03 325xi, 03 330xi
Send a message via Yahoo to tomoyer
The front regulator DO have an adjustment. Once the glass is attached to the regulator and the front of the regulator attached to the door, the lower rear regulator bolts can be tightened with the window glass in the down position. Then tighten everything again to the torque spec. The window should go up and down smoothly without issues. If the red clips are not broken, there is no need to replace them, their bolts or nuts. A small dap of blue locktite on the bolts will keep them in the nuts. I replaced the drivers front door regulator on my 325xi in spring with an OEM regulator, no fit issues, no problems and it was a fraction of the cost of an OE.
tomoyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 05:16 PM   #18
swordsman11868

My Ride: 2003 325i
Strange, I changed my passenger door regulator 2 days ago and had no problems... except the window sticks up about 1/4 of an inch.

I've changed all 4 now. 3 are aftermarket for sure but 1 was done by a shop and I don't know what they used.

After 117,000 miles and 9 years I'd say that's not too bad for the last one to fail. I've never changed the red clips. I will next time tho.

OP, taking the door panel off isn't a big deal. Just get the blue plastic trim panel tools and use clean gloves and it should work ok.

-dan