E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2007, 03:51 PM   #1
amunoz27e

My Ride: 325ci
Mirror 6 pin connector confirmation

After some careful searches and everyone saying that the facelift 2005 coupes only come with ribbon style connectors. Even the German dealership told me that I had the ribbon style connector for my year of the car. I have to say that you can not go with that assumption. I took my door apart again and traced the cable down to the switch on the driver side to confirm what type of connector I have. Evan from Tischer told me that for my year model my car only came in ribbon style. Well that is not true.

Here are some pics of my cable and it has five wires (2-black, 1-green, 1-yellow, 1-red) running down to the switch. The connector only has six pin holes. On the other harness that is bunched up with the lower speaker cable it runs to the switch also on a different harness and it runs down to the door jam where the rubber boot is. I think that is the harness that runs from the switch to the passenger side mirror.

So if you are not sure what type of harness connector you got, you have to take the door apart and see for yourself. I find this weird since the dealership even told me that I don't have a 6 pin connector but I do. Anyone with a 2005 facelift coupe have the same connector or different one.

Last picture is from another member on the forum and he has a completely different harness. So you have to check and confirm.

So anyone know where I can get some OEM M3 6 pin mirrors. Tischer only carries 12 pin.

Hopefully this helps those who are not sure what type of connectors you have.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0207.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	241465   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0209.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	196.6 KB
ID:	241466   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0210.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	121.4 KB
ID:	241467   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0211.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	241468  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0157.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	241471   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0158.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	241472   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01732.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	241473  

Bilstein PSS10 Coilovers | Highline Tuning Catback Exhaust | Double Din Audio | Lots of Carbon Fiber Interior/Engine Bay | 19x8,19x9.5 Wheels | RIP - Reiger Body Kit .
amunoz27e is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-07-2007, 05:13 PM   #2
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
interesting post.
so you have a non-usa spec car. from your VIN do you know which plant your car was made? is it actually a 325 or a 320 by chance?
i'm going to take a guess that you don't have memory mirrors or does your car have the memory modules in the door?
Tischer should be able to order the 6PIN M3 mirrors. you can always convert the 12PIN mirrors to the 6PIN connectors.
Old 09-07-2007, 05:58 PM   #3
amunoz27e

My Ride: 325ci
My car is US spec, but it was built in Germany. Like I said Tischer only has the 12 pin and I have searched the forum and every post I have found has you cutting wires of which I do not want to do. I want a straight plug and play.

Bilstein PSS10 Coilovers | Highline Tuning Catback Exhaust | Double Din Audio | Lots of Carbon Fiber Interior/Engine Bay | 19x8,19x9.5 Wheels | RIP - Reiger Body Kit .
amunoz27e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 05:59 PM   #4
nc_tc

My Ride: 2005 bmw 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by amunoz27e View Post
After some careful searches and everyone saying that the facelift 2005 coupes only come with ribbon style connectors. Even the German dealership told me that I had the ribbon style connector for my year of the car. I have to say that you can not go with that assumption. I took my door apart again and traced the cable down to the switch on the driver side to confirm what type of connector I have. Evan from Tischer told me that for my year model my car only came in ribbon style. Well that is not true.

Here are some pics of my cable and it has five wires (2-black, 1-green, 1-yellow, 1-red) running down to the switch. The connector only has six pin holes. On the other harness that is bunched up with the lower speaker cable it runs to the switch also on a different harness and it runs down to the door jam where the rubber boot is. I think that is the harness that runs from the switch to the passenger side mirror.

So if you are not sure what type of harness connector you got, you have to take the door apart and see for yourself. I find this weird since the dealership even told me that I don't have a 6 pin connector but I do. Anyone with a 2005 facelift coupe have the same connector or different one.

Last picture is from another member on the forum and he has a completely different harness. So you have to check and confirm.

So anyone know where I can get some OEM M3 6 pin mirrors. Tischer only carries 12 pin.

Hopefully this helps those who are not sure what type of connectors you have.
The last photo is from my car... I still haven't been able to figure it out!

We have learned, however, that the connectors for 2005 coupes are no longer produced according to realoem. This leads me to believe that there is no M3-type mirrors available for these vehicles if you have this type of connectors. If doesn't appear to be 6-pin, 12-pin, or ribbon. Also, the connector on the driver side is different from the connector on the passenger side.
nc_tc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 06:05 PM   #5
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by amunoz27e View Post
My car is US spec, but it was built in Germany. Like I said Tischer only has the 12 pin and I have searched the forum and every post I have found has you cutting wires of which I do not want to do. I want a straight plug and play.
then you haven't searched fully. i've posted atleast three times how to convert the connectors without cutting any wires. if you can't find i can guide you through it. i just posted in the last 30 days.

could you answer the other questions i posted earlier. which plant and accessories and/or module for memory.

also Tischer is a BMW dealership. as such they can order parts that bmw makes..such as the 6pin OEM M3 mirrors.
Old 08-11-2012, 06:32 PM   #6
Dollar-E46

My Ride: E46
Hello everybody! I would like to notice something important about ribbon type connectors. As i had read in many forums about retrofiting power folding mirrors on E46 everyone was telling about the type of connectors...all the guys were telling that E46 after 02 for sedans and 03 for coupes that were facelifted they had ribbon connectors. Thats not true...someone has posted in this forum that there is something mysterious in the ribbon type connectors...there is nothing mysterious as i noticed. My car is a facelift coupe manufactured in munich in Germany in 04/2004.Because of reading many posts that were expaining which models what kind of type connectors had i was thinking that mine facelift coupe had ribbon type connector too.That was wrong.I decided to take off the door panels and discoverd tha my mirros had a simple 6pin connector with 5 wires.They were not ribbon type as many people think that all facelifts have...My car doesn't have any memories.The seats are manual and the mirrors are manual!That's why it has a simple 6 pin connector and not the ribbon!The ribbon type of mirrors that are discovered on facelifts it's a new technology of BMW that not require any control or memory modules anymore because the ribbon type mirrors have build-in modules inside the mirror!So ribbbon type mirrors can only found on facelifts that have memory and power memory seats!
Dollar-E46 is offline   Reply With Quote