E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-18-2011, 01:46 AM   #1
Mario996

My Ride: 2003 330i M Sport
Leaking differential

Hey guys,

I've got a bunch of good information from other people's posts on here and thought i should contribute a little.

I saw one day i had some oil on my driveway and i didn't think it could be from me because i only had 90,000 kms on my car. Anyways, I lifted the car just to make sure and saw my diff was leaking, badly! I guess the bolts were coming loose over time and pretty much ripped the gasket while the oil was seeping out. Luckily i still had more than enough oil inside.

Since BMW doesn't make these gaskets for the E46 anymore, i had to buy something to make a new gasket with. I don't remember the name of it but you can buy this at any parts store.

I thought this was going to be very hard to do, but it was pretty simple. Mechanics told me that you need to take the diff out to have room to slide out the back cover, but you don't. You just need to remove a few things.

1st Loosen exhaust by removing hangers near the muffler. Use a string or rope to hold it so its not hanging there.

There were 3 bolts on the Diff holding it in place;

2 bolts facing the rear (18mm)
1 bolt facing the front (21mm)

Then you need to take off the dive axles, with a 12mm or 14mm HEX (can't remember exact size)

Once you remove those, you have to un-hook the rear sway bar to make room. (2 bolts on each side) You don't need to remove it, it just needs to be able to swing down so you can have that extra 1-2 inches of room.

Then simply remove Differential cover and clean the ends where the gasket was. Then spread the new gasket seal around the whole cover and Diff. Put it on carefully so it doesn't smear all over and tighten bolts. Let it dry for at least one full day WITHOUT OIL inside the Diff. After, simply add the Diff oil (just under 1L) and make sure everything is tight and back together.

I added some pics, hope this helps some of you.
Let me know if you guys have any questions.

Last edited by Mario996; 05-23-2011 at 07:41 PM.
Mario996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-18-2011, 05:52 AM   #2
GoingNuts
Just Nuts

My Ride: 2004 330Ci
Very interesting and useful DIY. Glad you are giving. Only if more people are like that, it would be a wonderful world.

There are a few things I would like clarification on please:

1. The exhaust wasn't removed completely, but was only lowered from the rear end ?
2. Why was the output shafts unbolted ? From your pictures, these didn't seem to be in the way of the differential cover.
3. You mentioned 3 differential bolts. Were these for the differential bushes ?
4. Was the purpose of removing the differential bolts to lower the differential itself ?

BTW, nice lift you've got there. If I had one, I'd go nuts.

On a side note, RealOEM and similar sometimes incorrectly indicate an item is discontinued when it is in fact available from the dealer, possibly in the form of an ungraded part. So, it's always a good idea to confirm with the dealer before tearing your hair out looking for an alternative solution.

Last edited by GoingNuts; 05-18-2011 at 06:25 AM.
GoingNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 10:52 AM   #3
Chris C

My Ride: 2001 325Ci
I had to comment as well on the lift. I wish I had one as well.
Chris C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 11:34 AM   #4
Mario996

1. Yes, you don't remove the exhaust, just remove the hangers and leave it hanging with a string.
2. It's just easier to move the differential around. Less stuff holding it in place.
3. I'm not sure what you mean, but there are only 3 bolts holding it in place. One on the 3rd pic, just above the sway bar to the left and the other was on the back side of the diff facing the front of the car.
4. Yes, because you need the room to reach the top 2 bolts for the cover. Otherwise you can't reach them.

I did confirm with Both BMW dealers in my city and neither of them had it. I went to several auto parts store and they didn't have it either. So i asked my mechanic what i could do and he told me to use this paste and make my own.
Old 05-18-2011, 11:38 AM   #5
Mario996

Thanks guys

Last edited by Mario996; 05-18-2011 at 11:45 AM.
Old 08-15-2012, 03:10 AM   #6
Imola.ZHP

My Ride: Imola ZHP
Sorry for the bump, but I had a question...

I have an '03 ZHP and have noticed some oil on the bottom of my diff. Do you recall what your leak looked like? I would think if any of my shaft seals were leaking, oil would be spun all over the place, which is not the case at all. I'm thinking (and hoping) its just the rear cover...

Thanks for the DIY and the pics!

-- '03 330i ZHP
-- Marcus
Imola.ZHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 04:15 AM   #7
doggy

My Ride: 330ise
degrease diff and check in a couple days, you will see where oil is coming from

Tags
differential, diy differential leak, e46 differential leak