E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-16-2012, 11:52 AM   #1
Mctwist77

My Ride: '99' BMW 323i
Vanos completed some insight/ DIY to replace broken studs on that hold VANOS unit

Hello everyone, I finally took the VANOS plunge and got it all done. Took about 7 hours because I was an idiot and broke 3 of the studs that holds the VANOS unit on, but I will discuss that later. Overall the procedure was fairly strightforward if you follow the beisan website. Some tips would be:

1. Make sure you have a torque wrench and you know how to use it. They can be rented for free from any autoparts store. Here is a usefull conversion tool that I used.
http://www.onlineconversion.com/torque.htm

2. When tighting everything back up BE SURE NOT TO OVERTIGHTEN, follow torque specs as found on beisan site.

3.Removing the old seals from the VANOS valves is like doing open heart surgery. I recommend having extra fine sand paper so if you do knick an edge with your knife you can gently sand it down to a smooth finish. As far as how to cut the seals this is the method I used:
Take your knife and work one area really well, press down hard and wiggle, you will start cutting. Once you get a good hole made, take a sharp nail ( the width of the nail should be smaller than the groove of the VANOS groove) and put it in the hole you created and continue pushing and wiggling until the seal snaps. The nail is good because it makes it nearly impossible for you to scratch the valve. Repeat method for all 4 seals.

4. If you snap off the mounting studs during reinstallation do not panic.. we can fix it.

DIY
Parts:
Vice grips or Channel Locks
Lock tite bolt seal (blue)
PB Blaster
and the following studs
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...13&hg=11&fg=15
#15 is the long one
#13 is the short one

I needed 3 of the short studs and my stealership only had 1 so I went to HomeDepot and had them make me 2 more.

Step 1:
Remove VANOS unit to expose broken studs

Step 2:
Spray PB blaster on broken studs where they are screwed into the head.
Allow a few minutes for PB blaster to work, careful not to spray into the exposed engine parts

Step 3:
Use vice grips or channel locks to turn studs and unscrew them from the head. Note:if they arent moving spray more PB blaster and keep working them, they will come out.

Step 4:
Once you get them out celebrate.

Step 5:
Installation of new studs. Put locktite on the first half inch of the stud to be screwed into the head. Screw in stud with fingers as hard as you can, wiggle a little bit as your screw to get it in further. Once you have it as tight as you can with your fingers, wrap a rag around in to protect the threads and gently use your vice grips or channel locks to turn it just a little bit more. It doesnt have to be all the way in, that what we have the locktite for.

After studs are replaced, you can reinstall your VANOS unit, be sure to use the torque wrench!

I hoped this helps some poor soul who (like me) decided to be an idiot and ripped his studs off and couldnt find anything online as to how to fix it.

Last edited by Mctwist77; 08-16-2012 at 11:57 AM.
Mctwist77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.