E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-17-2012, 08:51 AM   #1
fractal

My Ride: 2006 330Ci ZHP 6spd
ZHP to 1 series?

I love my 2006 330Ci ZHP but am getting worried about big maintenance / repair costs on the horizon...how does the 128i stack up in terms of handling / braking? Is there an M pack for the 128? Don't really need two turbos, I like NA better on my bimmers. Is the 1 a worthy replacement? I certainly like the looks and sound of the ZHP better but the 1er looks decent and might be a hoot to drive.

Thoughts from folks that have driven both?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Bimmer App
fractal is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-17-2012, 08:57 AM   #2
Wickedly

My Ride: BMW 2003 325i
If you selling your car, Let me know.
Wickedly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 09:00 AM   #3
xavi330i

My Ride: 2004 330i smg
Fixing your zhp would be loads cheaper than buying a 1.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:10 AM   #4
cak323i
Modded ///Member

My Ride: ///M3 & 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by xavi330i View Post
+1

OP if you like your ZHP then keep it and do the maintenance. It's not too hard to do. One thing to look at regarding maintenance is to change out your VANOS seals and install the anti-rattle kit. What you need to do is begin looking at replacing all the wear and tear items to keep your ZHP in tip top shape...

Things like refreshing the suspension, brake systems, luckily you don't have ZKW headlights so you won't have any issues regarding your headlights...

Preventive maintenance is the key to a healthy car and since you enjoy your ZHP it would still be cheaper to do this than buying a new car imho
2004 TiAg ///M l OEM CSL interior door panels l OEM CSL bootlid l Scorza CSL center console | Navigation | LCM s/w 4.5 triple blink | OEM black interior retrofit | BC Racing BR Coilovers l BMW Performance Carbon Fiber strut bar & Short Shift Kit l Gruppe M carbon kevlar CAI l BMW iPod Integration l Alu Tech interior Trim l Lit F10 ///M5 Shift Knob l Umnitza Orion V4 A/E's l Status Gruppe one piece cf CSL lip | BBS CH & ARC-8 wheel sets
cak323i is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 09:20 AM   #5
nlav26

My Ride: 2001 330i
my two cents: going from a 330 zhp to a 128 would be a downgrade in my opinion. Even though you may think turbos are not for you, as I did myself, I have had a chance to drive the 135i. The N54 (havent driven the N55, assuming they feel nearly identical) is a FANTASTIC motor. The car just has so much giddy-up and is simply a blast to drive because of its size. It actually feels quite similar to an e46 in size. So I'd say, 135 or nothing. Dont settle for a 128. And if you really dont want turbos, stick to the zhp
Old 08-17-2012, 09:36 AM   #6
xavi330i

My Ride: 2004 330i smg
Quote:
Originally Posted by xavi330i View Post
Old 08-17-2012, 09:45 AM   #7
theOCHO

My Ride: 330i ZHP 6MT
M package on the 128 gets rid of the really lame front bumper and adds an aero kit and different wheels.
I'd consider the 135 due to its much larger brakes.
theOCHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 09:55 AM   #8
smolck

My Ride: 2004 ZHP Sedan
I recently test drove a 2010 135i (my current car is an 04 ZHP). The power is really fun, it is a LOT faster than the ZHP. Once that wears off, the 135 is an excellent car. Short wheel base, decent interior, nicely sized (doesn't feel "boaty" like the E90 chassis) and performs well. I still think the ZHP is a better all around corner carver. The ZHP still feels more precise and tactile in the corners.

From a money perspective it is a LOT cheaper to repair an old car than buy a new one. I have spent $2500 in 8 months on the ZHP. Mostly maintenance and a few "goodies", the car has 160k miles and will still need a new clutch soon. So in the first year of ownership (bought it Dec 21, 2011 with 138k miles) I will have spent roughly $3600 on the car in maintenance plus the $10k purchase price. So $13,600 to own it first year and likely $1500 annually from here on out (I drive 30k miles a year so my cost to maintain is higher than most) to keep in perfect condition.

A new 135 (or 128) is gonna run you $40k+. A used one is probably $25k+ (and now you have repair bills to deal with on it too).

Just from a purely financial perspective the ZHP is FAR less expensive. Believe me, I know the allure of the 135i and it's powerful motor, but for the money, it isn't THAT much better than the ZHP.

Check my Youtube channel for DIY's and fun stuff
http://www.youtube.com/user/flipfinish?feature=mhee
smolck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 10:15 AM   #9
xphiledan

My Ride: 01 330i, 89 325i
keep the zhp
xphiledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 10:46 AM   #10
SPDSKTR

My Ride: E30 with an S52
Quote:
Originally Posted by smolck View Post
I recently test drove a 2010 135i (my current car is an 04 ZHP). The power is really fun, it is a LOT faster than the ZHP. Once that wears off, the 135 is an excellent car. Short wheel base, decent interior, nicely sized (doesn't feel "boaty" like the E90 chassis) and performs well. I still think the ZHP is a better all around corner carver. The ZHP still feels more precise and tactile in the corners.

From a money perspective it is a LOT cheaper to repair an old car than buy a new one. I have spent $2500 in 8 months on the ZHP. Mostly maintenance and a few "goodies", the car has 160k miles and will still need a new clutch soon. So in the first year of ownership (bought it Dec 21, 2011 with 138k miles) I will have spent roughly $3600 on the car in maintenance plus the $10k purchase price. So $13,600 to own it first year and likely $1500 annually from here on out (I drive 30k miles a year so my cost to maintain is higher than most) to keep in perfect condition.

A new 135 (or 128) is gonna run you $40k+. A used one is probably $25k+ (and now you have repair bills to deal with on it too).

Just from a purely financial perspective the ZHP is FAR less expensive. Believe me, I know the allure of the 135i and it's powerful motor, but for the money, it isn't THAT much better than the ZHP.
You forgot the part about the non-existent back seats.

330i/Ci Bang for the Buck Horsepower Guide
Want 5% off any BimmerBrakes.com purchase? PM me for details!
SPDSKTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 10:48 AM   #11
choxor

My Ride: JDM
Why haven't you test driven it. That's probably the one most important thing you can do to make this decision.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:06 AM   #12
trj

My Ride: 325Ci
1 series is definitely an upgrade, I dont care what others say.
I test drove 328, 335, 128 and 135 a couple of months ago. The 135 motor is fantastic and the size of it makes it even more evident. And since you drive a coupe now, I am pretty sure you know the advantage/disadvantage of a coupe.
A newer car is always an upgrade from the older model.
However, take a test drive of both variants and decide. May be 128 will suite your driving needs, who knows.
I did and I like the e92 twin turbo coupe than the 1, but my girl likes 1 better. But its just me. In the near future I might pull the trigger on e92 or a 1er.
I have a friend who bought a 328 e92 recently and now is installing BMW performance exhaust and intakes because he is feeling the lack of power. I told him to get a 335 in the first place.

But zhp is a nice car by itself and you have an 06, unless you are tired of it or not willing to get the hands dirty on maintenance I say go for 1 series. Most of them come with warranty(even used).
However, if you are spending that kind of money, I'd buy the 135i instead of 128. And you can get a nice amount for your zhp too.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:08 AM   #13
fractal

My Ride: 2006 330Ci ZHP 6spd
Thanks for the input everyone. Just had this idea in my head, perhaps a td is in order. The thing w maintenance is it's not just the money but the time and hassle. On top of all the time and money I need to spend on an aesthetics refresh (new front bumper, windshield cowl, rear window trim, curb rash fix, full detail) it makes it tempting to just get a brand new 1 (bought the ZHP used 4 yrs ago).

Btw the zhp is bone stock black sapphire w Nat brown, 6spd, ~85k miles, Cali car originally and has seen only 1 NE winter.

When i was first looking at e46s in 08 and read about the zhp i knew i had to have it, but it wasnt until after considerable wheeltime did i realize how good it is...28mpg, 0-60 5.6 NA, superb handling and braking, great looks..and that exhaust!...It really is the perfect car. And everyone that has sold one apparently regrets it...

But then I think its not financially responsible to pour money into a rapidly depreciating car with 85k. But I guess that's why were fanatics.

Last edited by fractal; 08-17-2012 at 11:11 AM.
fractal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 11:23 AM   #14
nlav26

My Ride: 2001 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by fractal View Post

But then I think its not financially responsible to pour money into a rapidly depreciating car with 85k. But I guess that's why were fanatics.

pretty much sums it up
Old 08-17-2012, 11:32 AM   #15
Robbski

My Ride: 2005 ZHP
Nothing depreciates like a new car rolling of the dealer lot. Spending a few grand on maintaining a great car is cheaper out of pocket and ltimately on the balance sheet as well.
Robbski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 01:11 PM   #16
smolck

My Ride: 2004 ZHP Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by trj View Post
1 series is definitely an upgrade, I dont care what others say.
Clearly you don't care what others say, because you didn't READ what anybody wrote did you? Not one person said the 135 wasn't an upgrade. They all said the ZHP would be cheaper to maintain than buying a new 135i.

Check my Youtube channel for DIY's and fun stuff
http://www.youtube.com/user/flipfinish?feature=mhee
smolck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 05:29 PM   #17
trj

My Ride: 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by smolck View Post
Clearly you don't care what others say, because you didn't READ what anybody wrote did you? Not one person said the 135 wasn't an upgrade. They all said the ZHP would be cheaper to maintain than buying a new 135i.
I didnt mean to insult anyone by saying that, but all I meant was 1 series is definitely and upgrade to e46.

I also mentioned that if OP was going to shell out $$ for a 1 series, go for 135 and not 128.

Of course, I agree that maintaining an older car is cheaper than buying a new one. Never argued that, but if he is concerned about maintenance then buying a 135 would make better sense. Thats all I wanted to say.