E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-15-2012, 01:04 PM   #21
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
^ that's true enough, but two things...one, I've heard that the minimum thickness or above is okay to put new pads on...my impression is that above the minimum thickness means 'okay for new pads,' but I could be wrong...and I know you think I am! LOL

In any case, when I measured my rotors after 60K miles with totally worn out pads, my rotors had only worn halfway between new and minimum. There's a lot of life in those rotors. But, a shop/dealer preying on unsuspecting/knowledgeable owner might well say the brakes are an issue--that's a suggestion that's hard to ignore!
For someone who puts such an emphasis on brakes, I'm surprised you are actually relentlessly recommending re-using old worn rotors.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 01:13 PM   #22
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Mango, I'm relentlessly telling people that typically rotors can go two sets of pads. I'd read many, many threads on this just the same as you, and I'm also quite confident in my measurement of the thickness of my rotors.

They're worn from the first mile, but mine won't be worn out until they're through the second set of pads.

You don't tell people to flush coolant every year. It wouldn't hurt, but it's not necessary.

You make it sound like I'm suggesting something dangerous or stupid or both. Just want the OP to be informed, especially when up against a 'dealer tech' recommendation. His rotors could be worn...they might have had three sets of pads on them already...IDK. I'm not saying he should slap pads on...just that he can measure the rotors.

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 01:14 PM   #23
xavi330i

My Ride: 2004 330i smg
Quote:
Mango, I'm relentlessly telling people that typically rotors can go two sets of pads. I'd read many, many threads on this just the same as you, and I'm also quite confident in my measurement of the thickness of my rotors.

They're worn from the first mile, but mine won't be worn out until they're through the second set of pads.

You don't tell people to flush coolant every year. It wouldn't hurt, but it's not necessary.

You make it sound like I'm suggesting something dangerous or stupid or both. Just want the OP to be informed, especially when up against a 'dealer tech' recommendation.
dmax, e46mango has proven himself to be an egotistical troll. Just hit the block button.
Old 08-15-2012, 01:29 PM   #24
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:

You make it sound like I'm suggesting something dangerous or stupid or both. Just want the OP to be informed, especially when up against a 'dealer tech' recommendation. His rotors could be worn...they might have had three sets of pads on them already...IDK. I'm not saying he should slap pads on...just that he can measure the rotors.
OEM/OE-quality rotors are too cheap not too replace. We're talking a new set every 5 years (or whenever the pads wear). That's $120 every 5 years or $2 a month.You don't want to pony with your brakes. Doing so is ponying with your life.

Coolant should be replaced every two years. See electrolysis.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 01:30 PM   #25
dmax

xavi...

I have to say that it'd be hypocritical for me to block him as I'm a barely recovering egotistical troll myself. I've been working hard at hiding the egotistical side, but truth is, once I 'came out' as a comic, sort of have to face facts...that I must be egotistical to think I'm funnier than most! Also, if 'they' took away trolling from me (and many others) then there'd be practically no value at all for me to pretend to help people out!

Also, I do have to say that mango really doesn't troll that much. I think his record is better than most here for helping people. And finally, I have to say that I know with me, day in and day out of saying the same thing over and over again, I understand how the disease 'Fanaticitis' takes hold. It's gripped me many times myself, but usually a hard troll fixes me right up!

Remarkably, in all my time here, I've only considered blocking one person, but I haven't as I want to help him when he brings his car into General! If I say something totally crazy to someone, just let it slide please...I'm doing G-ds' work!

Ninja edit: you're right that rotors are relatively cheap...but I'm cheaper! Just give me a decent excuse!

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com

Last edited by dmax; 08-15-2012 at 01:37 PM.
Old 08-15-2012, 01:38 PM   #26
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
well it says it passed the coolant pressure test. that is a sign it's not leaking.

I would make sure the subframe isn't cracked, didn't notice the dealer saying they checked that?
Otherwise yes it looks like things you can do yourself.

oh an crayon interior smell is different from coolant smell. crayon is often common on e46 from the vapors released on the sound deadening material under the back seat. if you Search crayon smell you'll get lots of returns.
Old 08-15-2012, 02:14 PM   #27
dmax

Also, have to say that I honestly trust the OPs sense of smell more than the pressure test. It's possible that when they pressure tested it that they didn't have the heater on and thus, I think, would have failed to pressure test heater core.

It could be another smell, I suppose, or they didn't really hold the pressure for all that long to see a small leak.

A recent set

Old 08-17-2012, 06:49 PM   #28
areknee

My Ride: 04 Saab Arc
Quote:
Also, have to say that I honestly trust the OPs sense of smell more than the pressure test. It's possible that when they pressure tested it that they didn't have the heater on and thus, I think, would have failed to pressure test heater core.

It could be another smell, I suppose, or they didn't really hold the pressure for all that long to see a small leak.
Exactly, my fear is that it is a problem with the heater core, something small, small enough that the carpets wont be noticeably wetter. They didn't let me see the pressure test so I have no idea if the heater was on to test the heater core -- hopefully they know what they were doing, they should, the BMW dealership charged me a lot for the test

I am seeing that there is common crayon smell from E46's because of some material they used near the trucks, I hope I'm just over thinking and it's just that but it's just coming from the vents. I'm going to be able to see the car this weekend and hopefully try to diagnosis the issue.
areknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:01 PM   #29
areknee

My Ride: 04 Saab Arc
Okay, it's starting to get real. I was on a vacation so I didn't get a chance to talk to the seller, I told her I still wanted to buy and she said she was taking it to the dealer in the morning and was going to sell it to the dealer and if I wanted it, I could make her an offer before and she would sell it to me. I want to offer 5k-5.5k at first and see how it goes. To get it to pass the state inspection I would need to drop about 2k, (fixing the brake issues, restoring the headlamps, window regulator) etc. How much do you think the dealer is offering? Am I too low? It's a 02 with sport and premium package installed. We agreed before the inspection that 7.5k was our price.
areknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:16 PM   #30
DerRoteBaron

My Ride: 2004 325i
I am a little late to jump in, but after reading this conversation. I would recommend walking away. This car sounds like there are going to be issues, and you are getting into the 100k range. It doesn't sound like much preventative maintenance was done. One thing to check the coolant, look if there is a residue on the windshield. Usually a leaking heater core will cause a moisture build up on the windshield. I don't have loads of experience with BMWs, but from conversations with friends that are owners, you either get a rock solid car, or it is just a non-stop money pit.
DerRoteBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:39 PM   #31
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerRoteBaron View Post
I am a little late to jump in, but after reading this conversation. I would recommend walking away. This car sounds like there are going to be issues, and you are getting into the 100k range. It doesn't sound like much preventative maintenance was done. One thing to check the coolant, look if there is a residue on the windshield. Usually a leaking heater core will cause a moisture build up on the windshield. I don't have loads of experience with BMWs, but from conversations with friends that are owners, you either get a rock solid car, or it is just a non-stop money pit.
+1
this car is turning out to be fraught with problems, and unknown ones very possibly lurk. There are many e46's in the sea of cars for you to search. Don't shirk the work you'll have to do to find another. In the long run a better car will be better than this one fixed up.
Many of us take care of our cars all along the way. Find one of these cars.
Stinger9 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
ac, coolant, heater core, smell, vents