E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-17-2012, 03:00 PM   #141
Five_seveN
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: chicago
Posts: 24,547
My Ride: rover james
Send a message via AIM to Five_seveN
Quote:
Originally Posted by aretardedorange View Post
Reception is awful on 3G. I get 4G at my house but the town I live in does not really have 4G yet....so I get 3G around town and its awful. My old Droid X2 and HTC Incredible 2 got much better 3G service.
so should i wait for the razr hd if i want best reception and battery life?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave View Post
I'm having a hard time imagining any set of responses that ends with anyone expressing admiration for Marshmallow.

Perhaps you should stop responding. It's a no-win for you here. :dunno:
Five_seveN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 06:21 PM   #142
E36Eric
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: L.A.
Posts: 330
My Ride: E36
Send a message via AIM to E36Eric
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan///M3 View Post
Foxfi seems to be a very good one.
Thanks. I downloaded on my rezound but foxfi doesn't work on HTC for some reason. I'll download it on the S3.
__________________
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" -Wayne Gretzky
E36Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 06:39 PM   #143
wrighterjw10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Palmyra (Hershey), PA
Posts: 459
My Ride: 2002 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by aretardedorange View Post
Reception is awful on 3G. I get 4G at my house but the town I live in does not really have 4G yet....so I get 3G around town and its awful. My old Droid X2 and HTC Incredible 2 got much better 3G service.
i go to 3g all time time with no issues...? obviously slower data, but call reception has been fine.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Five_seveN View Post
so should i wait for the razr hd if i want best reception and battery life?
i have no issues with reception, and i travel to some pretty rural ares with my job.

as for battery life, see my review on the previous page. a few tweaks and battery life is no problem at all. i go about 2 days with medium usage before a charge is needed.
__________________

Last edited by wrighterjw10; 08-17-2012 at 06:41 PM.
wrighterjw10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 06:42 PM   #144
wrighterjw10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Palmyra (Hershey), PA
Posts: 459
My Ride: 2002 330ci
u guys have any apps you can't live without?

-juice protector (free) so far is my "MUST have"
__________________
wrighterjw10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 09:16 AM   #145
E36Eric
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: L.A.
Posts: 330
My Ride: E36
Send a message via AIM to E36Eric
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrighterjw10 View Post
u guys have any apps you can't live without?

-juice protector (free) so far is my "MUST have"
Did you mean juice defender? I couldn't find juice protector.

I also read that unchecking "google ad mob" in the play store setting helps along with "keeping wifi on when sleep" to never.
__________________
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" -Wayne Gretzky
E36Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 09:35 AM   #146
jeffro3000
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Huntsville, AL
Posts: 2,812
My Ride: 2000 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by E36Eric View Post

I also read that unchecking "google ad mob" in the play store setting helps along with "keeping wifi on when sleep" to never.
Don't you mean keep wifi on always?

That will use less battery than automatically switching to LTE when the screen is off. Wifi is more power efficient than LTE.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Bimmer App
jeffro3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 11:07 AM   #147
E36Eric
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: L.A.
Posts: 330
My Ride: E36
Send a message via AIM to E36Eric
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro3000 View Post
Don't you mean keep wifi on always?

That will use less battery than automatically switching to LTE when the screen is off. Wifi is more power efficient than LTE.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Bimmer App
Turn WiFi off when the phone is in deep sleep. I read that on ics, there was a bug that keeps the WiFi on during sleep mode that would drain the battery a lot. As people leave their phone over night, they wake up to a significant battery drain. Something about Samsung not putting a decimal point in the amperage number from on vs. Sleep.
__________________
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" -Wayne Gretzky

Last edited by E36Eric; 08-18-2012 at 11:12 AM.
E36Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 02:22 PM   #148
alphawhiskey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Tango
Posts: 18
My Ride: Foxtrot
Quote:
Originally Posted by E36Eric View Post
Turn WiFi off when the phone is in deep sleep. I read that on ics, there was a bug that keeps the WiFi on during sleep mode that would drain the battery a lot. As people leave their phone over night, they wake up to a significant battery drain. Something about Samsung not putting a decimal point in the amperage number from on vs. Sleep.
Maybe if you are turning off all mobile data, but if the choice is between wifi and 4G, then you def want to be on wifi.
alphawhiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 02:44 PM   #149
E36Eric
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: L.A.
Posts: 330
My Ride: E36
Send a message via AIM to E36Eric
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphawhiskey View Post
Maybe if you are turning off all mobile data, but if the choice is between wifi and 4G, then you def want to be on wifi.
This is what I read. I might've interpreted the wrong way.

http://www.androidauthority.com/gala...sue-fix-97838/
Quote:
So what is causing quick battery drain on the Galaxy S3? It looks like the phone’s Cell standby feature is to blame, “sometimes accounting for 50-70% more than even the Screen or Android System.” That may sound like a serious issue, but various developers have researched the matter further, only to discovered that an error in framework-res.apk is responsible for the mess. Apparently the power drain value for Cell standby is set to 34mA, ten times higher than a “reasonable value” of 3.4mA. That would explain why the Galaxy S3 battery drain issues appear.
__________________
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" -Wayne Gretzky
E36Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 11:42 PM   #150
Five_seveN
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: chicago
Posts: 24,547
My Ride: rover james
Send a message via AIM to Five_seveN
is there any way to disable maps from running? its always on even though i dont have location or gps on
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave View Post
I'm having a hard time imagining any set of responses that ends with anyone expressing admiration for Marshmallow.

Perhaps you should stop responding. It's a no-win for you here. :dunno:
Five_seveN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:34 AM   #151
Evan///M3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Pembroke, GA
Posts: 54
My Ride: 02 325i / 98 M3/4/5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Five_seveN View Post
is there any way to disable maps from running? its always on even though i dont have location or gps on
This should work... Settings > Apps > All Apps > Maps > Force Stop
Evan///M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:18 PM   #152
E36Eric
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: L.A.
Posts: 330
My Ride: E36
Send a message via AIM to E36Eric
Anybody using an Apex or Nova launcher? I hate the Samsung Touchwiz. I thought the HTC Sense was better.
__________________
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" -Wayne Gretzky
E36Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 08:10 PM   #153
xxilikericexx
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Sd
Posts: 24
My Ride: E36 M3, E46 325i
I tried nova launcher but ended up with go launcher because it had more features available on the free version.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Bimmer App
xxilikericexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 10:23 PM   #154
alphawhiskey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Tango
Posts: 18
My Ride: Foxtrot
Nova is the best launcher out there. Get the paid one and set up your gestures. It's pretty awesome.
alphawhiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:02 AM   #155
SuperFan86
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 38
My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxilikericexx View Post
I tried nova launcher but ended up with go launcher because it had more features available on the free version.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Bimmer App
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphawhiskey View Post
Nova is the best launcher out there. Get the paid one and set up your gestures. It's pretty awesome.
Go launcher gives you gestures for free. It is a pretty heavy launcher but with new phones like the s3 it is amazing.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIFFIN
I was stayign at this one girls ass for what felt like 5 mins. My gil sadi what the fvck are you looking at. I said just thnking about how beautiful she was goign to look in her wedding dress. Road head for the win.
SuperFan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:58 PM   #156
E36Eric
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: L.A.
Posts: 330
My Ride: E36
Send a message via AIM to E36Eric
Tried apex, nova and go. I like go the best.
__________________
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" -Wayne Gretzky
E36Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 03:51 PM   #157
Topaz330
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: NJ/NYC
Posts: 965
My Ride: 08MGT,12CLS63 Launch
just received the phone fri and rooted almost right away. I didn't unlock the bootloader yet because I dont know what exactly it does. Can someone explain the bootloader to me? BTW I came from the OG Razr and I love this phone. Speed blows everything out of the water (can't imagine how smoother it will be with 4.1), and display and camera is much better. The only thing is the reception. Not that its bad but it was much better on my razr. But when both are at full 4g bars, the s3 has better dl speeds.
__________________
Topaz330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 03:52 PM   #158
Five_seveN
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: chicago
Posts: 24,547
My Ride: rover james
Send a message via AIM to Five_seveN
how do you guys carry that thing in your pocket? its nearly the size of a small tablet
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave View Post
I'm having a hard time imagining any set of responses that ends with anyone expressing admiration for Marshmallow.

Perhaps you should stop responding. It's a no-win for you here. :dunno:
Five_seveN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 04:28 PM   #159
wrighterjw10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Palmyra (Hershey), PA
Posts: 459
My Ride: 2002 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Five_seveN View Post
how do you guys carry that thing in your pocket? its nearly the size of a small tablet
its not even an issue for me. but i dont wear skinny jeans.
__________________
wrighterjw10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 04:34 PM   #160
alphawhiskey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Tango
Posts: 18
My Ride: Foxtrot
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFan86 View Post
Go launcher gives you gestures for free. It is a pretty heavy launcher but with new phones like the s3 it is amazing.
I used to use it back when I had a Droid X, and just tried again per your recommendation.

Terrible imo. I used it on a Galaxy Nexus, and there was so much lag. It's also full of their own bloat.

Nova still works the best for me, personally.
alphawhiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use