E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Closed Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 04:25 PM   #1661
albeee

My Ride: Fit, Z4, XJ6
Quote:
Originally Posted by hizhinezz View Post
I'd second this advice wholeheartedly, having owned both Jeep(s) and Pathfinders (wife currently in 2005 SE) the Pathfinder is a much more reliable vehicle at this price point. I'll never understand why the Nissan doesn't hold the same resale allure as the 4runner etc but it is a really solid truck, very economical for its size (but fast when you step on it) and GREAT off road. At 100k-plus miles you will find a Jeep that is need of a lot of upkeep and/or restoration. Suspension is shot, engine likely tired, interior bits broken (and I love them, especially CJs). You can find a Finder that will need little more than oil and if you service the 4x4 and buy some new shocks you will be a very happy man, I've lived this exact scenario and would say buy the Finder 10/10 times unless you want a Jeep project. They're cool but they break... A lot, especially if offroaded. Ymmv.
Isn't the XTerra the one model they promote for off-roading now? I know there's a fan base for those cars. The new Pathfinder isn't helping its case:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VALMONT View Post
stancewerks is for dudes who pick up dudes for a little stretch and poke.
Old 08-18-2012, 04:33 PM   #1662
hizhinezz
Outlier

My Ride: 01 330i
Yuck, they killed it and turned it into a Chrysler Pacifica. That's horrible, truly.

I've never owned an xTerra butnid be willing to bet its a pretty good investment, lighter smaller less loaded and complicated version of the Finder. Interestingly xTerra does hold value at higher clip, perhaps because of following you mention.
Old 08-18-2012, 04:37 PM   #1663
albeee

My off-roader wishlist...I'd like to own any one of these:

Old G-Class:

This generation Lexus LX/Land Crusher-reminds me of rich Arabs/UN weapons inspectors:

This generation Mistu Montero:

Defenderrrr...especially a Twisted French Edition:

Nissan Patrol:

Quote:
Old 08-18-2012, 04:45 PM   #1664
Wes

Quote:
I'd second this advice wholeheartedly, having owned both Jeep(s) and Pathfinders (wife currently in 2005 SE) the Pathfinder is a much more reliable vehicle at this price point. I'll never understand why the Nissan doesn't hold the same resale allure as the 4runner etc but it is a really solid truck, very economical for its size (but fast when you step on it) and GREAT off road. At 100k-plus miles you will find a Jeep that is need of a lot of upkeep and/or restoration. Suspension is shot, engine likely tired, interior bits broken (and I love them, especially CJs). You can find a Finder that will need little more than oil and if you service the 4x4 and buy some new shocks you will be a very happy man, I've lived this exact scenario and would say buy the Finder 10/10 times unless you want a Jeep project. They're cool but they break... A lot, especially if offroaded. Ymmv.
I have a 2001 QX4. I love it. I'm going to drive it til the wheels fall off.
Old 08-18-2012, 04:54 PM   #1665
hizhinezz
Outlier

My Ride: 01 330i
Solid, I had an 01 SE but sold it for a Suburban when we had three kids in chairs. Love the 05 but the 01 was sportier. Better get one now because looks like they've swapped segments from guys and families to lesbians. Awful death of a great truck.
Old 08-18-2012, 10:31 PM   #1666
mkodama

Red E30 coupe is sold!

Now to move onto the maroon E30 vert.

Old 08-18-2012, 10:39 PM   #1667
mkodama

I think I've learned a few things from this experience, mainly, to list used items for a lot more than what you think is reasonable, and then sell the item at a lower price. Kind of stupid I think, but it works out a whole lot better than being honest.

Old 08-19-2012, 11:22 AM   #1668
mtnbound
Town Clown

My Ride: 330Ci Vert, 325iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkodama View Post
I think I've learned a few things from this experience, mainly, to list used items for a lot more than what you think is reasonable, and then sell the item at a lower price. Kind of stupid I think, but it works out a whole lot better than being honest.
"a lot" is relative, but I believe is a bad strategy. If someone lists something for sale priced too far over market rate, I won't even bother making an offer. It's a sign that the seller is either too sentimental about the item or just out of touch with reality.
Old 08-19-2012, 12:27 PM   #1669
mkodama

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbound View Post
"a lot" is relative, but I believe is a bad strategy. If someone lists something for sale priced too far over market rate, I won't even bother making an offer. It's a sign that the seller is either too sentimental about the item or just out of touch with reality.
So far it's applied to everything E30 related.

I bet you hate the way it works too, but just think of the guy with the plasti-dipped vert hardtop.

Old 08-19-2012, 01:13 PM   #1670
mtnbound
Town Clown

E30-land is a whole different world. One I'm happy to stay away from.
Old 08-19-2012, 01:49 PM   #1671
albeee

But soon the E46 will join the ranks of the E30. Then what?

Quote:
Old 08-19-2012, 01:53 PM   #1672
mtnbound
Town Clown

I will have my cars dialed in to their eternal state, maintenance withstanding, and will let the bottom feeders molest Miles.
Old 08-19-2012, 08:01 PM   #1673
mkodama

Now that the red coupe is gone, I did some work on the maroon vert. That was a really nice car from the factory. It originally had a dark silver metallic paint, not sure of the BMW name for it, and a tan leather interior and tan fabric top. It also is a 325i manual.

Then, someone managed to do some good quality fiberglass boxed fender flares that shouldn't have been added to start, a really crappy ford metallic red/maroon color that was so bad parts of the trunk liner were red, and then crashed both the front end, and rear end the car.

Today's work:
-I took every loose item out of the cabin and trunk
-sorted through the items, they were mainly parts that were taken off like if repairs had been started
-took out all the seats
-tried to fold away the top, but the cover doesn't seem to want to latch all the way down
-dusted everything off with a stiff bristled brush and vacuumed, including all seats, carpets, cabin, dash, and trunk

Then called it quits and organized my work bench and tools.

Old 08-19-2012, 08:01 PM   #1674
mkodama

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbound View Post
I will have my cars dialed in to their eternal state, maintenance withstanding, and will let the bottom feeders molest Miles.
lol

Old 08-19-2012, 08:28 PM   #1675
325inthe510

My Ride: 152ci of madness

Old 08-19-2012, 08:33 PM   #1676
Mo_Zhp

My Ride: Sedan E30 m20b25
Send a message via AIM to Mo_Zhp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes View Post
Was he Armenian?
I think so, it was in Burbank, so most likely.

By the way, me and my sister checked out the White 2005 one, nothing but facepalm after facepalm. Should have never went.

Quote:
The Pathfinder actually looks pretty decent. Two of my friends have 4runners, I believe one is a 2001 and the other a 2006. Both are pretty solid cars, especially the 2006 one. It has some serious power for its size and handles different terrains with ease. Very reliable too from what I hear. I'm going to keep a look out for these cars, the Jeep search is not going too well, most people like to beat them up. I popped the hood on one this morning and all I saw was mud.

"Any BMW I'll ever own has already been built."
Old 08-19-2012, 08:38 PM   #1677
B_Cyrus
Banned User

My Ride: Malfouf
congrats on selling the e30, Miles. Now onto your sister.

Last edited by B_Cyrus; 08-19-2012 at 08:50 PM.
Old 08-19-2012, 08:40 PM   #1678
mkodama

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325inthe510 View Post
[IMG]https://dl.dropbox.com/u/33905102/evo%203d%20upload/IMG_20120818_160041.jpg[/IMG
[IMG]http://xboxoz360.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/oxcgn-metal-gear-11.jpg[/IMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_Cyrus View Post
congrats on selling the e30, Miles. Now onto the...
Thanks, but mind removing the other cars please?

Old 08-19-2012, 08:47 PM   #1679
mkodama

Oh, and Albee, the owner of the 33,000 mile 1999 R129 hardtop was thinking of listing the car for $18,000.

Old 08-19-2012, 08:53 PM   #1680
B_Cyrus
Banned User

My Ride: Malfouf
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkodama View Post
Thanks, but mind removing the other cars please?
No.
Closed Thread