E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 158 votes, 4.91 average.
Old 08-19-2012, 01:30 AM   #941
KaliVertBoy

My Ride: M3 Vert 6MT
Got my scanner from xcar360 a couple days ago and finally got a chance to play with it today. So i grabbed my old laptop thats running Windows Vista and got down to business. For a couple hours I was having this issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuda12 View Post
It is 64-Bit and I downloaded the correct drivers. Everything is plugged in and I am only getting the amber light on the scanner, not the green. Does the unit only run on 32-Bit? Here is a screenshot.
And my all my usb ports stopped working. So i did a system restore on my laptop and decided to start from scratch. the system restore fixed my usb ports. I followed the instructions from bimmerforums to the T, and I got it working with no soldering

I have a 2002 M3 vert, I wasn't able to code the IKE, but I was able to disable my DRL's, add the clown nose, added the one touch feature for rolling up my passenger window, and remotely put the top down/up. Christmas came early this year boys. Thanks OP and others for the best thread on this forum.
KaliVertBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:03 AM   #942
Steve855

My Ride: 325xiT
This scanner sucks. It worked great for two days, now I start the software and it says hardware not ready. Yellow LED is lit up, wtf? Also, I can't get the uninstall to work so I cant even get it all off my laptop. What do I do now? Order another one and wait 2 weeks again? If you are not extremely computer savvy, don't buy this 1.4.0 scanner. I'm ready to smash it with a hammer.
Old 08-19-2012, 10:59 AM   #943
RayPooley

My Ride: 320i SE Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve855 View Post
This scanner sucks. It worked great for two days, now I start the software and it says hardware not ready. Yellow LED is lit up, wtf? Also, I can't get the uninstall to work so I cant even get it all off my laptop. What do I do now? Order another one and wait 2 weeks again? If you are not extremely computer savvy, don't buy this 1.4.0 scanner. I'm ready to smash it with a hammer.
Take it to someone who is computer savvy and get them to reinstall it? Although the fact that it worked for two days is a fair indicator that the software installed correctly. Perhaps there is something else on your laptop that is stopping it from running. Virus protection software? Try running it with any virus protection software disabled. Have you installed anything else that might have interfered with the scanner since you first installed the scanner software? New printer software for example? There might be a conflict with another software package for access to the USB port.
RayPooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 11:15 AM   #944
Steve855

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayPooley View Post
Have you installed anything else that might have interfered with the scanner since you first installed the scanner software? New printer software for example? There might be a conflict with another software package for access to the USB port.
Fist off, thanks for the input! I haven't installed anything else since it was working. This is an old laptop that I don't use for anything else but this scanner. Nothing else is connected to any USP ports at all. I'm thinking there are two possibilities here;

1 Somehow the software from the official Pa Soft website sabotaged my scanner chip or something. I know others have used this software successfully with the Xcar360 hardware, but I think it's a real possibility. I'm not enough of a computer whiz to tell for sure, but that's the only thing that I did between the time when it worked and when it didn't. I tried to connect it with my Win7 netbook and had to download from the PaSoft website because my netbook has no CD drive.

2 More likely- the scanner hardware just failed because it's cheap. I emailed Xcar360 and also PM'd them on here. We'll see how they handle it. Maybe they can tell me how to get it running again, but I'm not holding my breath. I would like a replacement scanner, and I really can't wait another 2 weeks for it. My car has problems now.

Thanks
Old 08-20-2012, 06:00 AM   #945
Steve855

Update- Xcar360 emailed me and said they are sorry I'm having trouble, and to mail the scanner back to them for repair. This I will do, although it will definitely be a slow process (two weeks each direction, I assume.) For the price of this unit, I can't really expect them to fly over my house and drop a new one from a helicopter. I still agree with most of you on here that this is a very useful tool for the money, I just wish mine still worked.

In the meantime, I have a good indy shop vey close to my house, I'll limp the car over there and see if they can shed some light on what's wrong.

Any of you computer experts out there, how can I get all traces of the PaSoft program off my laptop and start with a clean slate? I have tried deleting the folder off the harddrive but I think there's more to it than that.

Thanks
Old 08-20-2012, 05:51 PM   #946
bschillberg710

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325i
PA Soft Doesnt find DME or EGS

I bought the scanner for the main reason of reading DTC's and the ability to code the car was a little extra perk, but PA Soft doesn't find the DME or EGS. I don't get it, I've read that some people need to solder pins together to be able to code, but I can already do that on all the modules it finds. This si driving me crazy, any help would be appreciated. Here's what greets me after I scan:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pasof.png
Views:	120
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	465744  

Last edited by bschillberg710; 08-20-2012 at 05:53 PM.
bschillberg710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:10 PM   #947
Wickedly

My Ride: BMW 2003 325i
still do the solder for pin 7-8 and see if it changes.
Wickedly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:16 PM   #948
bschillberg710

Tried it already.
Old 08-20-2012, 06:22 PM   #949
jfoj

My Ride: '06 330CiC, '03 M5
I see by your profile that your car may be a 2002??

But are you really connected to a 2002 model??

You may have a car with the round under hood connector that you will need an adapter cable to connect up PA Soft to be able to read the DME & EGS??

Also have you tried the PA Soft program on another car to make sure it works before you start to solder pins and blame the program?

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose fan switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:37 PM   #950
bschillberg710

Yes it's a 2002 model, production date is 02/02. If I had a 20 pin connector where would it be under the hood? And, btw, I soldered the pins after I tried it initially. No change whatsoever.
Old 08-20-2012, 06:41 PM   #951
jfoj

Usually on the drivers side near the DME box with the white top.

Maybe you have a problem with the under dash ODB connector with the DME connection??

This is why you should check your tool/interface/software on another car, it will save you LOADS of time and keep you from chasing your tail.

I am sure you can find another local fanatic to try your BMW Scanner on locally.

I am fortunate enough to have many BMW's at my disposal.

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

Old 08-20-2012, 06:45 PM   #952
bschillberg710

Yea, forgot to mention I didn't know anyone with a BMW. I recently had a SES light and had it scanned at Advance Auto and their generic scanner worked fine, wouldn't that rule out the idea that theres a bad connection to the DME?
Old 08-20-2012, 06:45 PM   #953
E46 Coupe

My Ride: Rules1 & 2: S T F U!
If you have the round connector it's in the right side drug bin under the hood.
Old 08-20-2012, 07:05 PM   #954
bschillberg710

I'll need to pick up a set of hex sockets to remove that cover and check if it's got that connector, thanks for the tips.
Old 08-20-2012, 07:41 PM   #955
jfoj

No need for tools.

It is very obvious to find.

The prior poster mentioned it is on the right side, however, he is in Australia, so I am not sure it is located in the same location worldwide??

I think it is on the drivers side near the shock tower, however, I am not 100% sure. This is where is was located on the Z3 I last worked on.

http://wiki.bavariantechnic.com/inde...=DLC_Locations

If you were able to read from under the dash with a generic tool, then your connector probably works in the car, you need to try your BMW Scanner on a different car to see what happens.

Old 08-20-2012, 07:47 PM   #956
bschillberg710

Yea, I don't have one. This picture shows it to be next to the positive terminal on an E46. And there is nothing in that space on my car except the terminal. I'll have to find another BMW to test it on.

Old 08-20-2012, 10:21 PM   #957
Steve855

I think I got my car fixed. Friend at Indy shop hooked up his scanner , it said misfire cyl 1. I knew this coil had a torn boot, it was on my list of items too replace. He had one in stock. Installed new coil and problems seem to be solved. Tried for two hours tonight to get Xcar360 scanner working. Uninstalled with cccleaner, reinstalled from disc. No dice. Hardware won't even start without going into endless loop of "privileged instruction" error message which can only be ended via task manager. I'm pretty much done with this crap. I've wasted enough time. I'm gonna start reading up on what else is available.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:16 PM   #958
Bostonbimmer

My Ride: 2011 328
Send a message via AIM to Bostonbimmer
Does the BMW-Scanner work with windows 7?

Anyone know if it works with windows 7? I can't get the drivers to work?

Thanks

Jeremy H
Bostonbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:56 PM   #959
cvx5832

My Ride: 325Ci, 325Cic, C300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonbimmer View Post
Anyone know if it works with windows 7? I can't get the drivers to work?

Thanks

Jeremy H
It most certainly does. I have it on a Windows 7 Pro 64-bit Sony VAIO. The guide I followed is on BFC, specifically for the ones installing on a 64-bit OS.

cvx5832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:41 PM   #960
slocar

My Ride: 323ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvx5832 View Post
It most certainly does. I have it on a Windows 7 Pro 64-bit Sony VAIO. The guide I followed is on BFC, specifically for the ones installing on a 64-bit OS.
+1. Used the same guide; running it on Win 7 64-bit on a Toshiba Satellite.

Tags
bmw scanner, diagnostic tool, error message, pa soft