E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.20 average. Display Modes
Old 08-20-2012, 01:10 PM   #61
cslee

My Ride: E53
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmcclana View Post
@CSLee - I originally had it hooked up that way. The problem is the voltage regulator - it has to drop the 12V down to 3.3, and it's a linear vreg, so it produces a lot of waste heat, even when the Prop is sleeping. Eventually, it will get too hot and shutdown. So I suggest you use a Cigarette USB adapter - those have switching power supplies and drop the power down to 5V.
nmcclana, Perhaps, it will be feasible to butcher a cigarette USB adapter to use it as a dc-dc converter. I wonder if all cigarette USB adapter uses switching regulators?
Does the kracker uses that much current?
cslee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 05:15 PM   #62
CSL323

My Ride: '06 320Ci SpecialEd
Send a message via Skype™ to CSL323
Kracker arrived this morning. Looks like a serious head**** to put together!

Any possibility of you using LAME for MP3 support? It's opensource!

2006 BMW 320Ci Special Edition
CSL323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:45 AM   #63
nmcclana

My Ride: 2000 323i
@cslee - no, very little current - around 3mA @ 3.3v. It's just getting it down from 12V in the car. You're probably right, not all

@CSL - it is a kit, but as far as kits go, it shouldn't be that hard - here are the full assembly instructions. You don't have to add the microSD card slot if you don't want datalogging / wav playback. The microcontroller isn't fast enough to decode MP3's.
nmcclana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:37 AM   #64
alpine003

My Ride: BMW
This seems definitely interesting.

Are you EE by chance?

If I'm understanding this correctly, my Dice unit will not work with this since it accesses the same connector? Is that right?

Very cool product...
Old 08-21-2012, 11:50 AM   #65
cslee

Quote:
@cslee - no, very little current - around 3mA @ 3.3v. It's just getting it down from 12V in the car. You're probably right, not all
3mA and 12V, that's 36mW. Should not be a problem. let me try the linear regulator and see if it will kill my battery.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:16 PM   #66
bropane

My Ride: nothing yet
I am having some issues with my Car Kracker. I built everything exactly as you shown from instructables, but every time I connect it to the bus connector in the back of my car and power it, my car head unit freezes. If it is plugged in when i turn the key it wont even boot. My head unit returns to normal function when I disconnect the car kracker. I have power lights on the car kracker when it's connected but the connection test fails. I have a mk4 navigation that I had also wired in an auxiliary cable previously. Could this be the source of my problem?
bropane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 12:17 PM   #67
cslee

Quote:
Originally Posted by bropane View Post
I am having some issues with my Car Kracker. I built everything exactly as you shown from instructables, but every time I connect it to the bus connector in the back of my car and power it, my car head unit freezes. If it is plugged in when i turn the key it wont even boot. My head unit returns to normal function when I disconnect the car kracker. I have power lights on the car kracker when it's connected but the connection test fails. I have a mk4 navigation that I had also wired in an auxiliary cable previously. Could this be the source of my problem?
Did you load the code?
Old 08-21-2012, 12:24 PM   #68
bropane

I thought the kit comes preloaded with the code required?
Old 08-21-2012, 12:28 PM   #69
cslee

Quote:
I thought the kit comes preloaded with the code required?
The other thing is you plugged in the connector to the I-bus backwards thus grounding the data-pin.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:31 PM   #70
bropane

I'll try that but this is the picture I used for a reference.
Old 08-21-2012, 02:30 PM   #71
nmcclana

V.54 is up! New Features;
Bus Monitor

Bus Monitor mode lets you watch the data bus in realtime and send your own custom commands. To blink the warning lights, just enter; "$3f, $05, $00, $0c, $75, $01", without quotes. The checksum will automatically be calculated. It will also associated known senders / receivers.

Datalogging

This is just a preview of the datalogging feature, I haven't had a chance to test it fully. It should be stable in the next release. Datalogging lets you automatically record key vehicle parameters to an SD card like RPM, speed, and temperature. Just select the parameters you want to record and change the default boot mode to 'datalogger'. Data is written as a CSV file, so it can be read in any program. More data points are coming in the next release, too.

There are also stability improvements for the kustomizer, new commands for the firmware, and additional data from the OBC. On the roadmap: SPDIF out (for DSP), Bluetooth control, additional datalogger fields.

Downloads
Project Page
Kustomizer App
Firmware V.54

I've moved the Kustomizer and firmware over to the code repository to make them easier to update, just click on the 'View Raw File' link to download.`
Old 08-21-2012, 03:00 PM   #72
nmcclana

Quote:
I am having some issues with my Car Kracker. I built everything exactly as you shown from instructables, but every time I connect it to the bus connector in the back of my car and power it, my car head unit freezes.
1 - I would suggest updating the firmware to use kustomizer to send some test commands. You could also use the bus monitor to see if any commands pop up when you lock / unlock the doors and such.

2 - If no test commands work, then that connector isn't on the ibus. An alternate is the OBDC connector, or the Pacman connector, if your car has it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpine003 View Post
This seems definitely interesting.
If I'm understanding this correctly, my Dice unit will not work with this since it accesses the same connector? Is that right?
It can share the same connection as your DICE unit, although probably not in music mode - I suspect the DICE is emulating a CD changer as well. Yeah, I do embedded design for a living.
Old 08-21-2012, 05:44 PM   #73
wsmeyer

My Ride: 330CiC
Quote:
The microcontroller isn't fast enough to decode MP3's.
On late model E46's like my 2006 Convertible the head unit plays MP3's so it seems logical that with a little tweaking the Kracker could transfer those files without decoding?

William.
wsmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:36 PM   #74
bropane

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmeyer View Post
On late model E46's like my 2006 Convertible the head unit plays MP3's so it seems logical that with a little tweaking the Kracker could transfer those files without decoding?

William.
Do you have a 6 cd changer? I remember reading that it can decode mp3 cds but I never heard of the nav cd deck being able to do it.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:49 PM   #75
wsmeyer

Quote:
Do you have a 6 cd changer? I remember reading that it can decode mp3 cds but I never heard of the nav cd deck being able to do it.
I don't have NAV or 6 disc changer. Just the Business CD.

Here's the brochure for 2006 Convertible:

http://images.chaleur.com/BMW%20Libr...20Brochure.pdf

Both the Harmon Kardon and standard head unit play MP3's and I checked the manual and the 6 disc plays MP3's as well.

William.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:23 PM   #76
bropane

Quote:
I don't have NAV or 6 disc changer. Just the Business CD.

Here's the brochure for 2006 Convertible:

http://images.chaleur.com/BMW%20Libr...20Brochure.pdf

Both the Harmon Kardon and standard head unit play MP3's and I checked the manual and the 6 disc plays MP3's as well.

William.
Wow, they should of put that on the nav as well. That is a very nice feature to have. In that case I don't see why you couldn't play mp3s with it.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:30 PM   #77
bropane

I think I fixed my problem as well with. I put the bus connector 1 column in the wrong place. I thought this this worked like bread board and thought each row was referenced. I now know its every three holes. I just need to test now but I think it will work. Stupid problem on my part, easy fix.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:40 PM   #78
Sweetness
E46 is strong with this one

My Ride: '01 325i
iBus is going to kawkblock you guys soon enough. Shuts off electronics that are not part of the OE system.
Sweetness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:49 PM   #79
wsmeyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetness View Post
iBus is going to kawkblock you guys soon enough. Shuts off electronics that are not part of the OE system.
So you're saying that every OE component on iBus has some sort of learning mechanism and will eventually ignore commands that aren't coming from an OE device?

It must take a really long time cuz my DICE has been sending and receiving iBus commands from the head unit for about six years now.

William.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:53 PM   #80
Sweetness
E46 is strong with this one

My Ride: '01 325i
Quote:
So you're saying that every OE component on iBus has some sort of learning mechanism and will eventually ignore commands that aren't coming from an OE device?

It must take a really long time cuz my DICE has been sending and receiving iBus commands from the head unit for about six years now.

William.
DICE has a program that talks to the iBus to keep it on. Be careful buying cheap products that don't have this sort of feature that communicates with the iBus, or it'll become an expensive paperweight
Sweetness is offline   Reply With Quote