E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-21-2012, 01:15 PM   #1
adaseb

My Ride: 2002 BMW 320i
What's the best way to fix rusty rock chips on hood ?

I had Clear bra on before but I took it off because it turned yellow and started peeling

What is the best way to fill these rock chip holes is there some product that can dissolve the Rust and then I can apply touch up paint over it

And yes I already ordered a new BMW emblem
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1345572884.490015.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	465831   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1345572899.753824.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	465832  
adaseb is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-21-2012, 01:23 PM   #2
lsteg

My Ride: 2001 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by adaseb View Post
I had Clear bra on before but I took it off because it turned yellow and started peeling

What is the best way to fill these rock chip holes is there some product that can dissolve the Rust and then I can apply touch up paint over it

And yes I already ordered a new BMW emblem
+ 1 on new emblem

I know guys who just got it re-painted and had them put a few more coats of clear on the front bumper and hood to try and cut back on this. He was happy with it.

If there is already rust forming you want to get that cleaned out or it will continue to rust.

I'm sure there are some topical treatments for this issue but I'd have more peace of mind just getting them all fixed the right way. Hopefully others have some alternatives for you.
Old 08-21-2012, 01:34 PM   #3
MercForHire

My Ride: 323Ci 5 Speed Black
Should have touched up with paint before the rust form. Check car for chips weekly
MercForHire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 01:55 PM   #4
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Clean and wax. There's no fighting them. What you're experiencing is nothing but inevitability. Embrace it proudly. BMW wears that roughness very well I think.

Just replace the entire cooling system...that's the best thing you can do for your hood.

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 04:22 PM   #5
Lusticles

My Ride: 325Ci
Touch up paint. I bought a white from Advanced Auto for like 3$ on sale and it matches enough to where the difference isn't noticeable. I think it was a GM color.
Old 08-21-2012, 04:27 PM   #6
Grande D

My Ride: E90 M-Sport
BMW touch up paint or Dr. Color Chip for the actual touch up.

Getting rid of the rust? Here is how. I am not asking I'm telling. I don't want anyone to refute this because it is 100% true.

Iron X paste (it sticks better than the spray) is typically used to remove iron particles from paint that come from cities and railroad tracks. It dissolves rust without damaging paint.

http://www.autogeek.net/carpro-iron-x-paste-150.html

Wash the car. Apply the paste to the chip. Let it sit as the directions state. Use a wax removing small soft bristle brush (or a firm toothbrush) that you can find on ag or at your local auto parts store. Yes- it'll swirl the paint a bit (really not very much if you're careful) but that can be corrected later. Literally rinse and repeat until you see bare metal.

Then wash the whole hood again. Dry it and wipe down all touch up areas with a 25% IPA/water mix, and apply the touch up paint.

BTW it smells like shiiiit- and there really isn't a substitute or alternate product to the paste version.

Last edited by Grande D; 08-21-2012 at 04:29 PM.
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:44 PM   #7
JimC-NH

My Ride: 2004 330Ci Vert
Bavarian auto has a good Video on this. Go to www.bavauto.com and check it out under the DIY videos.

This is not an endorsement of bavauto - but they have a good video on fixing paint chips and using different paint products, including rusty rock chips.

Jim
JimC-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:42 PM   #8
Sweetness
E46 is strong with this one

My Ride: '01 325i
I LOL with the syringes they sell to replace chips and all that. It takes like 1 hour to fix 3 chips that will come back the next day. Just repaint it, and add some filler in the front for reinforcement
Sweetness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 12:16 AM   #9
Zell

My Ride: '02 Dogemobile Shibe
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
Embrace it proudly. BMW wears that roughness very well I think.
Ehhhhhhhh my bumper has seen better days I can't wait to get it and my hood refinished.
Old 08-22-2012, 01:04 AM   #10
MercForHire

My Ride: 323Ci 5 Speed Black
Put the car bra back on. If you can't see it, it's no longer a problem.
MercForHire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 02:14 AM   #12
Zell

My Ride: '02 Dogemobile Shibe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nervous View Post
!!!!!

Maybe I won't need to do expensive refinishing afterall.
Old 08-22-2012, 05:16 AM   #13
dmax

I tried drcolorchip. Meh.

There are threads on it here...sorry...it's not quite so good.

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
Old 08-22-2012, 05:20 AM   #14
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
I tried drcolorchip. Meh.

There are threads on it here...sorry...it's not quite so good.
My dad has a dark blue z3 that we tried dr colorchip on with great results.
Completely got rid of minor chips and masked the larger ones.
From our experience Id recommend it strongly.
Hood and bumper went from sand blasted to almost perfect.
Old 08-22-2012, 05:27 AM   #15
dmax

Peyton, I tried it, followed directions, and got horrible results.

If I left it on too short a time it wiped off. Too long a time, it wouldn't come off easily from where I didn't want it.

Please, if you recall...how did you apply it? I've still got mine sitting around from 5 years ago...I'd give it a shot again based on your endorsement!

A recent set

Old 08-22-2012, 05:36 AM   #16
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
Id have to talk to my dad and ask him about it.
I'll also check the box as its only a year old and maybe the applicator is different or possibly the directions as well.
I'll get back to this thread to let you know, but I watched him do it. When he wiped the excess paint the pits were filled in and 95% completely disappeared.
Maybe your pits are too large? Don't take that the wrong way.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:29 AM   #17
lsteg

People on this site have a very strong conviction about "doing things right the first time" and not "cutting corners" when it comes to the upkeep and maintenance of their cars.

It shocks me that this many people are willing to take a cheap way out when it comes to their paint job.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:40 AM   #18
HiHoBrian
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 05 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsteg View Post
People on this site have a very strong conviction about "doing things right the first time" and not "cutting corners" when it comes to the upkeep and maintenance of their cars.

It shocks me that this many people are willing to take a cheap way out when it comes to their paint job.
It is shocking that someone would use touch up paint to.....touch up a paint job on a 10,year old car? Well this is the internet I guess.
+1 for BAV Auto vid and supply of matching paint kits. Or you can save $1500 up for a new paint job. But instead of paying for a paint job,buy a crappier car to park in front of your car so the Bmw looks better!

sent from my ATARI sc1224
Old 08-22-2012, 07:50 AM   #19
lsteg

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoBrian View Post
It is shocking that someone would use touch up paint to.....touch up a paint job on a 10,year old car? Well this is the internet I guess.
+1 for BAV Auto vid and supply of matching paint kits. Or you can save $1500 up for a new paint job. But instead of paying for a paint job,buy a crappier car to park in front of your car so the Bmw looks better!

sent from my ATARI sc1224
Touch up paint is fine if there isn't already rust forming like in the OP's picture. You can touch that up all you want but the fact is the rust will spread.

And to paint the hood will not cost $1500.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:32 AM   #20
DBrown

My Ride: BMW 325 Ci
If the chip is small I just take my Dremel and diamond tip etching tool and grind out the small amount of rust. Use touch up paint then clear and buff it a few days later. Looks like new and if you have a Dremel and buffer costs about 8 bucks.

I got the my hood painted last year for 200 bucks with an extra 100 for 2 more coats of clear. Might be worth it to get it repainted

Last edited by DBrown; 08-22-2012 at 09:34 AM.
DBrown is offline   Reply With Quote