E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-23-2012, 02:33 PM   #1
Brem46

My Ride: Needs Moddin'
considering a move to USA

Hi Guys...

bit of a thought has been set in my head really and i wondered if i could get some advice directly from the people who live there.

recently we went on a vacation to california (absolutely fantastic) and we began living the day dream of buying a holiday home and returning...

we began looking at prices and exploring this semi seriously, we figured it out financially we would be better off and get a better quality of life if we did make the plunge full time to America.

at the moment, i live just outside of central london and own a 5 bed detached house, nothing baller but big enough to feel good about and the garden us big enough for our 2 children and dog.

the dilema we have is that, whilst our childeren are young enough for us to make the move and blend in quickly (one is 2 and one is 11 weeks) how would this change effect them.

i dont want to get into changing passports etc because i do have a lawyer who can handle that and im sure i can gain enough advice from consulates etc...

but in the UK i own 3 successful businesses and can prove i am financially viable, i do have an interested party in purchasing these businesses from myself which would mean i had more liquid funds to either purchase in the USA or invest...

the lifestyle i had in California was a relaxed one and one of luxury which i rarely get in the UK working 65 + hours per week, i have began to think of late that the past years where i have worked every single day all hours that are sent my way that i want to relax a bit more, cut down my hours and spend some quality time with my kids as they grow up money is fantastic we would all agree on that but i cant buy family life with it.

i have no idea what i would do when i get to america (if it did go ahead) but i do know i would want to relax a while, alot of countries stipulate that you must be self reliant in order for your residency to be agreed

i am seriously considering this move to California, would you guys have any tips or pointers, disagreements or any advice of another state to consider?

by no means to do i want to chase a lifestyle set out in 90210, i just want a good standard of life and be able to spend some quality time with my kids which is drawing me more into making this decision.
Brem46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 02:38 PM   #2
Mike Larry

My Ride: 575 nello
dont let the laidback lifestyle of california fool you. if you want to move to another country because you're sick of the 65+ hours you're working per week, america is the last place you wanna go.
Old 08-23-2012, 02:41 PM   #3
Mayo

My Ride: CBR600RR
If you live in the USA, you will be shot at

Mayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 02:42 PM   #4
TruckDaddy

My Ride: 1991 Kenworth T600

Say what again. Say What AGAIN! I DARE YA, I DOUBLE DARE YA MOTHAFCUKA! SAY WHAT ONE MORE GOD DAMN TIME!
Quote:
Originally Posted by enter
It's a social thing guys get over it. My mom said in Chinese culture the longer your hair down there is the higher class you are, and my mom is one of the classiest ladies i know.
TruckDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 02:45 PM   #5
JTLaz

My Ride: Can now offroad
Seems like you know what you want. I would just choose a state other than CA
JTLaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 02:46 PM   #6
v8 5

My Ride: 6 speed BMW

We have 4 websites within the family.
v8 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 02:51 PM   #7
albeee

My Ride: Fit, Z4, XJ6
I doubt you will be working less. Weather is nice, though.

Sent from my LG-E739 using Bimmer App

Quote:
Originally Posted by VALMONT View Post
stancewerks is for dudes who pick up dudes for a little stretch and poke.
albeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 02:56 PM   #8
Redline

My Ride: ///M3 Vert
If you want to live comfortably and in a nice area. Id live on the east coast. Florida is nice. You can get a big house for little money and soth florida has nice beaches/weather. In California everything is overpriced and overpopulated/congested...nice to visit, not to live there IMO

///M
Redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 02:58 PM   #9
BimmerJustin
I SHOP @ TURNER MOTORSPORT

My Ride: 02325CI,03MIN,06VW
Im trying to move from Arizona to Toronto....Its a difficult step but possible. Good Luck!
Old 08-23-2012, 02:59 PM   #10
benjamin1

My Ride: 350z track edition
I'd look at any other state

benjamin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 02:59 PM   #11
MagicFan

My Ride: 2013 Subaru Legacy
You know there are other states in America that are just as good as Cali, and the cost of living is less too *cough* Indiana
Old 08-23-2012, 03:02 PM   #12
v8 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M=Power View Post
If you want to live comfortably and in a nice area. Id live on the east coast. Florida is nice. You can get a big house for little money and soth florida has nice beaches/weather. In California everything is overpriced and overpopulated/congested...nice to visit, not to live there IMO
It's great to live here. I would live in Florida, but hurricanes alone scare me away. Some people say California is prone to earthquakes, but only recently out of the last 5 or so years have I felt 2 minor ones. Not only that, the mid west (i.e. east coast near TN) will become the new hotbed of earthquake activity.

As far as being overpopulated, it's much less than the far east coast. I've battled the worst of Los Angeles traffic, it's not that bad.

Overpriced, I wouldn't even go there, I'm not trying to slam you for your age all the time, but really - you don't know what you're talking about.

Last edited by v8 5; 08-23-2012 at 03:19 PM.
Old 08-23-2012, 03:15 PM   #13
ThumperNC24

My Ride: 'Mericuh V8 Power
Cali would actually probably be a cut in cost of living and taxes compared to London - however california is one of (if not the most) expensive state to live in the US. I would suggest another spot as well. Politics there are also very liberal, maybe not as much as London but as far as the US goes....

How do you feel about Tennessee or the Carolinas? Pick up a nice lake house in one of those states for relatively cheap and relax away...

03 Z06 466rwhp.
07 335xi 6M
ThumperNC24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 03:16 PM   #14
albeee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M=Power View Post
Overpriced? Dude, OP is from London. He would know what "expensive" feels like. Congested? Uh...what part of CA have you been to? LA is congested but, it's a major city, no sh!t it's gonna be congested.

Quote:
Old 08-23-2012, 03:18 PM   #15
v8 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumperNC24 View Post
Cali would actually probably be a cut in cost of living and taxes compared to London - however california is one of (if not the most) expensive state to live in the US. I would suggest another spot as well. Politics there are also very liberal, maybe not as much as London but as far as the US goes....

How do you feel about Tennessee or the Carolinas? Pick up a nice lake house in one of those states for relatively cheap and relax away...
IMO coming from the UK he's tired of seeing a sky that's even remotely grey. Southern California is really only 1 season all year around, 75F summer clear skies.

Old 08-23-2012, 03:19 PM   #16
albeee

LOL London is too dreary. Which is a pity, their residents are some of the nicest people when I visited.

Quote:
Old 08-23-2012, 03:20 PM   #17
v8 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin1 View Post
I'd look at any other state
You're from Tacoma, WA. The city with the highest suicides in the nation Internet never ceases to amaze me in opinions.

Old 08-23-2012, 03:21 PM   #18
Eliott's-BMW

My Ride: E46 3-Pedal Mafia
Long live the queen?

"May GOD grant you DOUBLE the amount you wish upon me!"
Eliott's-BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 03:25 PM   #19
5ynd1cat3

My Ride: swagger wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicFan View Post
You know there are other states in America that are just as good as Cali, and the cost of living is less too *cough* Indiana
This. Stay the hell away from California unless you like being butt raped by the cost of living. Indiana is a nice choice, Ohio too (biased, I know). Do your research and choose wisely.

You could always move to Cali, get butt raped, then wake up one morning and say, "Hey, those guys on e46f were right! I have 49 other states to choose from that are way less oppressive than the land of movie stars and broken dreams!" at which point you shall whisk away your bleach blonde plasticized chick to, say, Texas where you would then begin to enjoy what 'Murica is all about!
Old 08-23-2012, 03:28 PM   #20
TruckDaddy

My Ride: 1991 Kenworth T600
Ah Yes, Ohio. The state with great cities no one wants to go to.

Say what again. Say What AGAIN! I DARE YA, I DOUBLE DARE YA MOTHAFCUKA! SAY WHAT ONE MORE GOD DAMN TIME!
Quote:
Originally Posted by enter
It's a social thing guys get over it. My mom said in Chinese culture the longer your hair down there is the higher class you are, and my mom is one of the classiest ladies i know.
TruckDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote