E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-23-2012, 06:14 PM   #1
Lillie81

My Ride: 2004 BMW 325i
No compression

While driving on the highway in 5th gear my 325i began to jerk as if it was misfiring then the "check engine light" came on. Im easy on my car, and it only has 69,700 miles on it. When I took it to the shop they said it was getting no compression, and that something had broke off in the inside of the engine and now I need a new engine! I have never felt so sick to my stomach......has this ever happened to anyone else, and if so what did u do? I loved my car until this happened now I think I'll never own another one if just out of the blue it can fall apart
Lillie81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-23-2012, 06:41 PM   #2
jared_wiesner

My Ride: 1999 328i
Things like this don't just happen out of the blue. First get a second opinion. If they also say it needs an engine, then chances are you overheated it or let it run dry of oil or generally did something to cause catostrophic failure. I flog my car day in and day out and it's never let me down and runs like a top, doesn't burn a drop of oil. The difference is that I keep my eye on things and fix potential problems at their first sign.

Replacing an engine isn't that big a deal if you know who to talk to and where to get the engine from. It doesn't have to be so expensive that you are forced to move on to another car. Prices can range from around 1000 bucks if you did it yourself to over 10,000 if you were to pay the dealer to install a new engine. Get a second opinion from a shop you can trust. Lots of places just want to make a quick buck.

Check out my band - The Marked

1999 BMW 328i (Daily Driver) - m54b30 intake manifold, ebay headers, Rebirth Motorsports CAI, Rogue Engineering underive pulleys, Epic Motorsports Remote Dyno Tune, Custom 3 inch exhaust with Burns Merge, Schrick 264/248 Cams
1967 Buick Skylark - 430 Buick Big Block Swap.

Last edited by jared_wiesner; 08-23-2012 at 06:45 PM.
jared_wiesner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 06:51 PM   #3
Lillie81

It never overheated. It has always however needed oil added every so often. I check the oil and it was good. Two shops say it is not getting enough compression. I took the car back home today from the shop and it seems worst then when I had brought it in. I'm at a loss.
Old 08-23-2012, 07:00 PM   #4
jared_wiesner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie81 View Post
It never overheated. It has always however needed oil added every so often. I check the oil and it was good. Two shops say it is not getting enough compression. I took the car back home today from the shop and it seems worst then when I had brought it in. I'm at a loss.
If the car is running, it has compression. The question is how much is it holding. Is is smoking like crazy? Any white smoke?

1999 BMW 328i (Daily Driver) - m54b30 intake manifold, ebay headers, Rebirth Motorsports CAI, Rogue Engineering underive pulleys, Epic Motorsports Remote Dyno Tune, Custom 3 inch exhaust with Burns Merge, Schrick 264/248 Cams
Old 08-23-2012, 07:10 PM   #5
Lillie81

No smoke but now after driving it to the shops it will not go over 45mph. Three days ago when this happened i took it up to auto zone and the checked the cars computer. The only thing that came up was engine misfire cylinder 1, so I bought a new coil and spark plug. Needless to say that didn't help. Cylinder 1 is only getting 30 and the others 150.
Old 08-23-2012, 07:33 PM   #6
TrippinBimmer

My Ride: ZHP Custom Stage 3.5
Send a message via AIM to TrippinBimmer Send a message via Yahoo to TrippinBimmer
Stock motor? No Mods?

-Anthony
TrippinBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:42 PM   #7
nsrt4

My Ride: srt4-323i-dsm
tell the shop to do a leak down test on that cylinder.
nsrt4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 08:24 PM   #8
jared_wiesner

Take it to a dealership or good Indy, swallow their labour rate and get a proper diagnosis. The money you could end up forking out in stuff you don't need (ie the plug and coil you just bought and potentially an engine) will amount to a much bigger sum. If cylinder one indeed has no compression, you either somehow bent a valve, broke/stuck a ring, or blew the head gasket. Hope it's the gasket. But the whole thing sounds fishy to me.

Old 08-23-2012, 10:33 PM   #9
fastjasonbmw

My Ride: 330Xi
Not too long ago I had an E90in the shop that had very low compression on #6, after a leak down test, I determined that one of the intake valves was leaking. I pulled the intake manifold and found the DISA valve pivot pin came dislodged from the DISA unit and was pinched between the valve and the valve seat. That was the very 1st time I've ever seen that (not common at all, but worth looking into). You can remove your DISA valve to check that it is intact. If it's broken, remove the intake manifold and look at cyl #1 intake runners/valves for an obstruction. The pivot pin is plastic and did not bend the valve in the situation i described. Hopefully you will be this lucky.

If you do find something stuck on one of the cyl #1 intake valves, turn the motor over by hand until the valves are open and try to remove the obstruction, being careful not let it fall into the cylinder.

Last edited by fastjasonbmw; 08-23-2012 at 10:36 PM.
fastjasonbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 12:32 AM   #10
briangl92

My Ride: A08 ZSP ZPP SULEV
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastjasonbmw View Post
Not too long ago I had an E90in the shop that had very low compression on #6, after a leak down test, I determined that one of the intake valves was leaking. I pulled the intake manifold and found the DISA valve pivot pin came dislodged from the DISA unit and was pinched between the valve and the valve seat. That was the very 1st time I've ever seen that (not common at all, but worth looking into). You can remove your DISA valve to check that it is intact. If it's broken, remove the intake manifold and look at cyl #1 intake runners/valves for an obstruction. The pivot pin is plastic and did not bend the valve in the situation i described. Hopefully you will be this lucky.

If you do find something stuck on one of the cyl #1 intake valves, turn the motor over by hand until the valves are open and try to remove the obstruction, being careful not let it fall into the cylinder.
I've heard of this happening. The pin can work its way out and fall through the intake and cause havoc. Definitely a route to explore given the sudden problems.
briangl92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 02:51 PM   #11
Lillie81

Thanks to everyone for the help. Are there any tutorials on opening the engine to check for the obstruction? Right now all I have removed is the cabin filter housing, cabin filter and engine cover.
Old 08-25-2012, 12:31 AM   #12
fastjasonbmw

Here's a little something I found within 15 seconds (google)

http://tis.spaghetticoder.org/s/view.pl?1/06/04/29
Old 09-06-2012, 05:24 PM   #13
Lillie81

*update* I have been reading up on my low compression issue. I have found several posting that describe low compression like mine on here, and they found it to be linked to a failing fuel pump. I know my fuel pump has been acting up for some time now...."reading fuel level wrong off and on" "making loud noise off and on"- not just upon starting but just at random times. Could this be part of my problem? I'm trying to rule out everything. I'm renting a fuel pressure gauge tonight to check my pressure.
Old 09-06-2012, 05:55 PM   #14
fastjasonbmw

Low compression has nothing to due with the fuel pump. Remove the intake manifold and take a look at the affected cylinder. When compression is checked, the fuel injectors should be disconnected, so as not to alter the compression readings.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:12 AM   #15
Beamer Creamer

My Ride: 2005 bmw m3
Dont waste more coin on fuel issues. Fastjason is rite. Do a wet compression test and see if pressures go up/ leakdown test. Pull sparkplug and take a look if damaged piston atall?
Beamer Creamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:19 PM   #16
monkeyhead

My Ride: 2003 330i
low compresion is a ring, valve, or gasket. Not a fuel thing.
if it's the ring, replace the engine, otherwise, if it's the valve or gasket, you can replace these

see one, do one, teach one
monkeyhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:32 PM   #17
Loaded325i

My Ride: bmw 325i
Is the car making any kind of noises or racket?

If its not blowing smoke then its probably an issue with the cylinder head.

I would advise against taking apart anything else. Once you start half-hazardly disassembling an engine you do more harm than good, especially in an all aluminum engine.

You need tools, not just a socket set and some screwdrivers. You need some good tools and or a lot of know how to make up for the lack of tools.

You can go as far as taking the valvecover off and taking a pic to show us anything unusual.

Fuel pump has nothing to do with low compression, you're skill level is not up to par with taking apart an engine. Im sorry.
2004 BMW 325i CW,PP and Sports Package
1996 toyota avalon-263,000-Sold
2003 Lexus Is300-Sold
2000 Acura TL-Sold
2000 Accord 5 speed-Sold

Last edited by Loaded325i; 11-21-2012 at 03:41 PM.
Loaded325i is offline   Reply With Quote