E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-22-2012, 08:56 PM   #81
john311tran

My Ride: awd + 5 doors
also: http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-325...rame/ES128604/ will this fit on my touring?
john311tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:56 PM   #82
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
Quote:
Originally Posted by john311tran View Post
i talked to my mechanic today. really trustworthy local guy and always takes care of me if i don't have time to do the work myself. he quoted me 150 for the fronts and 75 for the rears to do all shocks, struts etc. he said to take the car to townfair near us because they have a 150k machine and the guys at that shop are not nitwits like the other townfairs..

thoughts on 225 for labor for 4 shocks? i'm guessing it'll take me a full day to do all 4. first time with this car. not to mention the springs are a pain in the rear to compress without the machine.

john
$225 to install everything is a steal, I'd do it if you trust the guy.

Quote:
where are you guys going to buy koni shocks and ebauch springs? i'm not finding them on tire rack or pelican
Tire Rack has everything you need for Koni and Eibach, check that place out.

Quote:
http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-325...Kits/ES252806/

can anyone tell me the diff between this set and a ebauch spring with koni shocks? ride quality etc? there really needs to be an informative thread about this stuff once and for all and have it stickied!

john
This has been discussed 7 billion times, maybe even in this thread. H&R springs will have a more harsh ride than Eibach. Shocks and struts do not factor into ride quality that much. Difference between Bilstein and Koni is adjustable vs non adjustable and cost.

Please search for such routine questions.

Quote:
Based on the application guide, no. The under body panels on RWD and AWD cars are different therefore this should not fit all E46 cars anyway.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:25 PM   #83
john311tran

sam,

can you help me find suspension for a touring on tire rack. i'm not sure what i'm doing wrong, but i'm not finding it. 03 325xiT.

why would it not fit on an xi. ecs tuning lists that it's for a 325xi = awd. i just was wondering if it works with xiT or if i need a diff one for a touring.

john
Old 08-23-2012, 09:09 AM   #84
SamDoe1

Quote:
sam,

can you help me find suspension for a touring on tire rack. i'm not sure what i'm doing wrong, but i'm not finding it. 03 325xiT.

why would it not fit on an xi. ecs tuning lists that it's for a 325xi = awd. i just was wondering if it works with xiT or if i need a diff one for a touring.

john
Just put it in as a regular Xi sedan and the parts will show up. If you go to Koni's website, it lists the shocks and struts as compatible across both sedan and touring. I'm not sure why tire rack doesn't list that...

It won't fit the Xi because the Xi underbody panels are completely different from the non-Xi panels. There's no way they can fit both cars therefore I'm assuming it will fit the RWD and not the Xi. Also, there doesn't appear to be a channel for the axle to go through either.

Last edited by SamDoe1; 08-23-2012 at 09:13 AM.
Old 08-23-2012, 04:36 PM   #85
Rickna

My Ride: '02 330xi AT
Send a message via ICQ to Rickna Send a message via AIM to Rickna Send a message via MSN to Rickna Send a message via Yahoo to Rickna
Eibachs you can find almost anywhere. The same for the Konis.
http://www.koni-na.com/

238 years of democracy has died, and with thunderous applause

My_Mods_&_Stuff
Rickna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 05:06 PM   #86
Dreamliner330

My Ride: 330xi
Quote:
sam,

john
Simply follow my thorough parts list in my sig. :cool:
Dreamliner330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:50 PM   #87
john311tran

sam,

i'm still confused about the plate not fitting. the link i sent you says it's for a 325xi yet you say it won't work for xi? is something else showing up?

dreamliner,

great! too bad link doesn't work..

john
Old 08-23-2012, 09:22 PM   #88
SamDoe1

Quote:
sam,

i'm still confused about the plate not fitting. the link i sent you says it's for a 325xi yet you say it won't work for xi? is something else showing up?

john
The application guide is wrong. Just like it is for Tire Rack telling you the Konis won't fit on your touring.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:25 PM   #89
ShootyzGruve

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
^
You have reached the Xi forum, unfortunately we are away right now but would like to remind you that your suspension is entirely different from ours and our opinions and experiences will not reflect the results that you would get. Please try the general forum for your RWD suspension questions. Leave a message after the beep.

All kidding aside, yes Sachs is the OE manufacturer. I don't think it's available in a kit. You can buy the parts individually, there aren't that many of them.

Sachs shocks are not bad at all if you're not looking to lower.
Sam,
Thanks for the insight. I was on mobile and totally didn't realize this was the xi forum. Sorry for polluting with RWD content.
Cheers
ShootyzGruve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 03:46 AM   #90
Kubica

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
The application guide is wrong. Just like it is for Tire Rack telling you the Konis won't fit on your touring.
Which rear suspension parts are different on a wagon, do you know? Swaybar?
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:38 AM   #91
SamDoe1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubica View Post
Which rear suspension parts are different on a wagon, do you know? Swaybar?
Sway bar is the same on all Xi's and the convertible. Looks like the OE shock has a different PN though...but I'm guessing that has more to do with valving for extra load carrying than the actual dimensions since the upper and lower shock mounting components are the same.
Old 08-24-2012, 04:12 PM   #92
john311tran

on another note.

anyone think a xi wagon 325 can tow a 16 foot fiberglass boat with a 2 stroke 90hp mercury?

john
Old 08-24-2012, 04:19 PM   #93
e46alfonso

My Ride: 330xi, focus st
^ no it can't. It can barely push its own weight.
e46alfonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 04:52 PM   #94
john311tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46alfonso View Post
^ no it can't. It can barely push its own weight.
that's what i thought. i was trying to explain to a patient of mine that the wagon couldn't handle it and he was pretty confident that it could. i guess i could always check the towing capacity and the weight of the boat. but figured this was easier.

john
Old 08-31-2012, 04:24 PM   #95
john311tran

hey folks,

so i'm real real close to ordering but i have a few more questions.

1)http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/cata...pg4.htm#item18

are the oem strut mounts really worth FIVE times as much as the aftermarket ones? i mean damn, that's another 230 bucks i didn't plan for.

2) i'm ordering:
KONI Adjustable Front / Rear Shocks/Struts BMW E46 sedan / coupe
SKU # : bmw-e46-shocks003

Front Shocks : E46 325xi / 330xi Sedan / Touring (8741-1481LSPORT)(8741-1481RSPORT)
Rear Shocks : E46 325xi / 330xi Sedan / Touring (8040-1343SPORT)

and Eibach Pro-Kit Springs for BMW E46 3-Series / M3
SKU # : bmw-e46-springs001

Vehicle Model : 325xi, 330xi sedan 6cyl. (2089.140)

i was told that the springs are good for the touring as well (eibach site doesn't show any springs for the touring). can i order oem spring pads and they should fit fine or do the eibachs come with their own spring pads.

3) do i need guide supports and new locking collar nuts?

4) do koni's make non adjustables that people were referring to? none of the sites, (tire rack, modbargains) had them.

i guess that's it. my car is back from the shop next week and i want to install the new suspension asap. driving anymore on the busted rear strut can't be good for the car.

thanks everyone.

also, i plan on getting 17's or 18's for this eventually. shouldn't have any problems right? i'll probably get the wheels and get it aligned all together.
Old 08-31-2012, 04:42 PM   #96
Kubica

My Ride: 2003 325xi
^ you didn't even order parts yet?

You're looking at m3 strut mounts. No, springs pads aren't included and usually not necessary. Nuts come with struts. Need new strut pinch bolts, rear shock mounts, and gaskets.
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 04:49 PM   #97
john311tran

Quote:

You're looking at m3 strut mounts. No, springs pads aren't included and usually not necessary. Nuts come with struts. Need new strut pinch bolts, rear shock mounts, and gaskets.
haven't had to. the car has been in the shop and i've been swamped with work. i know excuses, excuses. i'm full of them. having a spare care is nice because i don't have to rush things.

i'm looking at 897 (free shipping) then minus 25 bucks for labor day sale at mod bargains. anyone know of a better price for the combo (i'de rather order all from the same place).

otherwise i'm good to go right? ugh, i might save the 275 bucks and install them myself. we'll see how long i can drive the spare car for (90 accord with 280k miles)

john
Old 08-31-2012, 04:55 PM   #98
john311tran

Quote:

is there another name for strut pinch bolts? can't find them on pelican parts.

john
Old 08-31-2012, 05:14 PM   #99
Rickna

My Ride: '02 330xi AT
Send a message via ICQ to Rickna Send a message via AIM to Rickna Send a message via MSN to Rickna Send a message via Yahoo to Rickna
Quote:
is there another name for strut pinch bolts? can't find them on pelican parts.

john
M12X1,5X60-10.9
Part # 31356778832

238 years of democracy has died, and with thunderous applause

My_Mods_&_Stuff
Rickna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 05:19 PM   #100
john311tran

thanks rick..

just read up on kubica's thread on end links and how he replaces every 2.5 years (seems extreme to me) but i'm at 10 years and 98k. i really can't be under my car much next spring/summer as i have 2 really big races in the fall that i'll be busy training for (ironman wisconson and ironman cozumel back to back).

does anyone suggest changing anything else while i'm here? the car has 98k miles and i live in boston. these roads SUCK. i'm thinking about doing my end links while i'm here (front and rear) what about sway bar bushings, control arm bushings etc?

money is tight, but time is tighter. i'de rather be under my car once while i have the whole suspension gutted.

john