E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-08-2012, 09:13 PM   #61
Andy2108

My Ride: E46 M3, '67 Cobra
You need reliable transportation to and from work on a $4000 budget, and you want to get into a 20 or 30 year old PORSCHE?! As a Porsche owner I would caution you greatly, especially because you mentioned you will have a shop do most if not all of the work. Where I live there is only 1 independent Porsche shop, and then there's the dealer. Both will charge ALOT to work on a 944. Like, many thousands. Unless you're willing to do almost all of the work yourself (and accept the car as a hobby more than transportation) then don't buy a 944.

You might be able to grab a E36 and be happy, but not a E46. Start looking for an E36 if you want German. An E30 will be too old for you and will require too much work.
Andy2108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 09:22 PM   #62
EverydayGetaway

My Ride: 2003 330i ZHP
You guys are all so dramatic that it astounds me. I've owned 3 E36's, all for UNDER $3000, in fact two only cost me $1500. The biggest problem I experienced from all of them was thermostat failure. My brother still drives my old '92 250k mile 325is without a single issue other than a weak AC compressor and a broken sunroof. Get an E36, they're amazing to drive, look fantastic and are easy as hell to maintain.

And as for the 944, one of my best friends bought one for $1000 2 years ago, rebuilt the head for something like $500 (can't remember the actual price, know it wasn't very high) and it has been running great for him ever since, he's a broke college kid whose parents don't pay for anything so if he can DD it, pretty sure most of us can.

Stop pretending that your car is made out of some sort of fragile and uber expensive crystal, it's a machine, a damn fine German one at that, it's not a time bomb or a fragile antique... it CAN take years of use and as long as your'e not an idiot about maintaining it, it easily will.

Last edited by EverydayGetaway; 07-08-2012 at 09:24 PM.
EverydayGetaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 09:55 PM   #63
prowlerflyer

My Ride: 2004 330i ZHP
I have had a 924 turbo, 944, 944 turbo, and 944 S2. All were fantastic reliable cars. I put over 200k miles on each one. Like any car, their reliability is a reflection of its maintenance. The 944 has no real flaws, but some items to watch. Timing belts are just a regular maintenance item on an interference motor. I got over 100k miles out of a rubber centered clutch in my S2, which is the highest torque 944.

As mentioned a plain 944 (realistically the only 944 in your price range), is not fast. Although they do handle and brake great. For $4k, look for a post 1985.5 944. An 89 would be ideal (bigger improved motor), but they usually command more than your budget. Know when TB (water pumps should also be done at the same time w/improved 951 part) and clutch were done to plan out your future maintenance.

An E36 would also be a good choice, if maintained (a 318is or Ti for mpg). BMW's and Porsches are just different cars. You really need to drive both, and see which suits you as a dd better. A 944 will feel smaller, lighter, sharper, louder, and older. An E36 by comparison will feel more luxurious, softer, smoother, etc.

Sent from my DROIDX using Bimmer App
prowlerflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 06:34 AM   #64
sennafan1978

My Ride: 2003 Honda Civic Hyb
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverydayGetaway View Post
You guys are all so dramatic that it astounds me. I've owned 3 E36's, all for UNDER $3000, in fact two only cost me $1500. The biggest problem I experienced from all of them was thermostat failure. My brother still drives my old '92 250k mile 325is without a single issue other than a weak AC compressor and a broken sunroof. Get an E36, they're amazing to drive, look fantastic and are easy as hell to maintain.

And as for the 944, one of my best friends bought one for $1000 2 years ago, rebuilt the head for something like $500 (can't remember the actual price, know it wasn't very high) and it has been running great for him ever since, he's a broke college kid whose parents don't pay for anything so if he can DD it, pretty sure most of us can.

Stop pretending that your car is made out of some sort of fragile and uber expensive crystal, it's a machine, a damn fine German one at that, it's not a time bomb or a fragile antique... it CAN take years of use and as long as your'e not an idiot about maintaining it, it easily will.
Ha ha. That is kind of what I was thinking.
sennafan1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 08:24 AM   #65
ac_2007

My Ride: F32 M4, E46 M3/325i
Bottomline, your $4000 Porsche wont be a Porsche.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Bimmer App

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpgolf1 View Post
The e46 M3 is by far the most boring and worst M3 that BMW has made to date.
It's amazing to me that a non M E46 is such a beautiful car but the E46 M has never done much for me.
ac_2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 08:25 AM   #66
MercForHire

My Ride: 323Ci 5 Speed Black
MercForHire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:41 AM   #67
FastHackem

My Ride: E60 M5
I have both and can tell you that the BMW is WAY better as a daily driver. With my 944, attempting to DD it will, and I repeat....WILL, make your wallet hurt real bad!! My vote is for the BMW.

The Mind Is A Terrible Thing.
2006 M5
2005 Impreza WRX
2002 330i
1983 944
FastHackem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:33 AM   #68
AMPGE46

My Ride: 1999 328i
My 10 cents

Having owned both ( my father owns a 944 S2, I own a 1999 328i, both bought for under 5k), I'd say go for the E46 if you want something you can drive daily. I was in a position oddly similar to yours (4k to spend, ect.) The 944s simply not a daily driver and repairs will be more expensive. That being said, anything in that price range will need to be repaired or at least inspected.
AMPGE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:03 PM   #69
mattcarle21

My Ride: is Breakin My Wallet
I recently picked up an 86 944 for $2350. It just had its timing belt, Oil pan gasket, and clutch replaced. Interior is ok (seats are good), and the exterior looks good on the sides but faded on top. It is in fact reliable and COULD be a DD, but I would beware. At this price, the A/C has been removed (fine with me since I bought it for fun), power steering is done (again just for fun) , and there are a few switches out here and there. Sunroof is funny too. However, it is a fun car, although slow by today's standards, it isn't scary Geo slow by any means. It handles very neutrally, and even with crappy shocks (searching for used Konis now) it will do a 4 wheel neutral slide. I also have a 90s Dodge dakota that I can drive if need be as well as my wife's e90. For 4k you can probably find one like mine with working A/C, power steering and such, but just wait for it to fail and pay money to fix it. My advice for practicality would be e36, but if you really want a 944, find one like mine that may not be the best looker and have all the amenties, but is mechanically sound (at least until the next timing belt change). The lack of amenities will make you less stressed while driving anyways, not worrying about them going out. After all, they are in fact antique cars now.

Autozone is for wannabee's, carefull cuz most of them want to be BMW owners - but can't.- Freeflow
mattcarle21 is offline   Reply With Quote