E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-24-2012, 08:21 AM   #21
CoconutPete

My Ride: E90 330i
This just makes me really happy I'm not interested in "competitive cycling"... what a cluster@#$##@.

"Their" is a possessive pronoun. In a phrase like “Susan and Bill's car,” it could be used to to make a new phrase: “their car.”

”They're” is a contraction of “they are.” “They are” should always be able to replace “they're.”
-----------
Extra Credit: It's "I'm looking for an M3"
not "I'm looking for a M3".
-----------
CoconutPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:38 AM   #22
SPDSKTR

My Ride: E30 with an S52
I started to get into cycling, but when I learned that quite a few guys I raced against (only race I ever did) were using "undisclosed supplements," I said to hell with it.

I will say that all the people I raced when I skated were 100% clean. If they weren't, their steroids were absolute crap since I was right there with them. I once placed 13th overall out of 345 people in a full marathon at an 18.98 MPH pace... which is hauling ass for an amateur. I was only 24 seconds behind first place, so you can imagine how close of a race it really was.

330i/Ci Bang for the Buck Horsepower Guide
Want 5% off any BimmerBrakes.com purchase? PM me for details!
SPDSKTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 11:46 AM   #23
bry330i

My Ride: 2002 330i
csb
bry330i is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 11:48 AM   #24
B_Cyrus
Banned User

My Ride: Malfouf
Competitive cycling? Please, how is this even a sport?
B_Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 12:02 PM   #25
Green_Shine

My Ride: Back seat riding
I love how Lance just peaced out. Who needs years of bickering in a court room, getting your lawyers fat and wasting precious time. There are much bigger things in life.
Old 08-24-2012, 12:10 PM   #26
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Again View Post
I don't agree

The sport is dirty and cheaters must pay.

It was a matter of time before this guy was found guilty.

Guys u have to understand there are new ways to test.

Cheaters have had an advantage for some time. Tech is catching up.
I don't really look at it as cheating. Most people can do it if they really want, most people do do it-source- a child hood friend who is a pro athlete.

Just allow everyone to do it and there's no issue. I don't want to hear the argument about "it's not fair to previous generations players"

Did those players wear gloves when catching footballs, did they have the modern day gym facilities, did they have the technology of new equipment? No, they didn't. chalk up the steroid use to improvements in the tech of the sports.

The biggest thing to take away from this is that there are things in each and every sport that contribute to "better athletes" now than in previous years, more than steroids do and the entire reason for the steroid debate is because people are shattering records, not because some minor league player can't get them too.

BTW, most people don't know sh1t about steroids and think you automatically get better at a sport while on them.

Last edited by DylloS; 08-24-2012 at 12:12 PM.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 12:13 PM   #27
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian

My Ride: .
Send a message via AIM to JonJon
Quote:
Originally Posted by stapler12345 View Post

Lance admitted to cheating, his teammates admitting to cheating and his closest friends admitted to it.

Just because someone is good at acting, sports or singing.. we think they are perfect or something

It's funny

false idols

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
I agree with JonJon.
JonJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 12:25 PM   #28
vilseck21

My Ride: B_Cryus's mother
Quote:
I don't agree

The sport is dirty and cheaters must pay.

It was a matter of time before this guy was found guilty.

Guys u have to understand there are new ways to test.

Cheaters have had an advantage for some time. Tech is catching up.
He passed hundreds of blood and urine tests. They are getting there doping info from people they caught doping, and were still allowed to cycle if they specifically said lance was doping. There was no evidence or proof after 15 years of blood and urine tests.
vilseck21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 12:27 PM   #29
ShootyzGruve

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJon View Post

Lance admitted to cheating, his teammates admitting to cheating and his closest friends admitted to it.

Just because someone is good at acting, sports or singing.. we think they are perfect or something

It's funny

false idols
Did I miss something? When did Lance admit to cheating?

EDIT: JJ I totally agree with you in the celebrity false idol thing, but I think Lance is a great idol for kids to look up to. He beat cancer and afterwards became one of the fittest men on the planet. He conquered his sport and continues to fight cancer via philanthropy. This USADA thing sounds like a witch hunt to me. I remember reading an article a couple years back on one of their 'agents' that was hell bent on bringing down Lance. What a total douche.

Let's not forget that this is still 'Mercia. As far I'm concerned Lance is innocent until proven guilty. AFAIK he hasn't been proven guilty of anything yet.

Last edited by ShootyzGruve; 08-24-2012 at 12:51 PM.
ShootyzGruve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 12:39 PM   #30
Raymond42262

My Ride: Is German
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breyton-BMW View Post
I don't know why they keep bringing this up. If he passed the tests then, leave him alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkodama View Post
The part that the USADA is a private organization that makes and decides its own rules, and still hasn't found anything more than strong indicators of doping, is enough grounds to strip Lance Armstrong of 7 Tour de France titles is wrong. I can easily see how a person would no longer want to take part of something that isn't even part of the legal system.

At the same time, the fact that Armstrong just gave up on the dispute means there will never be any definite answer, only a definite ruling.

Overall a sad outcome, both being declared a cheater, and not knowing for sure if he ever was a cheater. The only thing I know for sure is that USADA and this ruling has put the last nail on the coffin for me when it comes to competitive cycling.

He passed his drug tests when they were given. It is not his job to prove he is innocent, it is their job to prove he is guilty. And they never did that. They have been dragging Lance around for years and they are no closer to proving him guilty now than when they started.

He defended himself for several years and I guess they wore him out. I wonder how much money he spent in legal fees and lost endorsements from this ?

BTW, bike racing is a major event in France. I wonder if the French were pushing the investigation to strip him of his medals because he was American and not French ? Just a random thought............
Old 08-24-2012, 12:42 PM   #31
k2spitfire
Banned User

My Ride: cosmos M3
^ damn french, i'll take my freedom fries now
k2spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 03:13 PM   #32
stapler12345

My Ride: Sakhir Orange M6
Quote:
My life with Lance Armstrong: Personal assistant tells how he 'found steroids in cyclist's bathroom cabinet and was fired within a year'
Mike Anderson was personal assistant to Lance Armstrong for two years between 2002 and 2004
Was a cycling contemporary of the legendary athlete as they grew up in Texas
Claims his relationship with Armstrong deteriorated after he discovered drugs in the cyclists bathroom in 2004 - although he never told his employer
Says that Armstrong is callous and heartless and dumped his first wife on a beach in Santa Barbara, California and watched her spiral into depression
Alleges Armstrong took kick-backs when he raced in Europe and may not have declared them to the I.R.S
Alleges that Armstrong has little time for his Livestrong foundation saying at one 2003 event: 'I hate these f***ing things.'
When Armstrong was confronted about doping by Anderson he said 'Everybody does it'
Left Anderson penniless after allegedly firing him for no reason and refusing to pay him money owed unless he signed a non-disclosure agreement

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz25FcMvtH6

Quote:
Now running a bicycle repair shop on the other side of the world, Anderson also documents how he witnessed Armstrong allegedly take kick-backs in the form of cash during his racing days in France.

'Armstrong would often return from Europe with money stuffed into his pants,' said Anderson.

'It was clumsily concealed from authorities, but this was easy to get away with for a celebrity flying in and out of private air terminals, where control over passengers was fairly lax.

'The cash came from the post-Tour races that are an important part of the cycling culture in Europe, because they allow people in smaller French towns, or outside France altogether, to see pros racing on their local roads.

'All a rider had to do was show up, race for a while, and collect payment, which was made under the table.

'Whether he declared this as income or not, I don’t know.'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin Koolaid View Post
I've never heard of a woman wanting more than she actually deserved. Never.
stapler12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 03:14 PM   #33
stapler12345

My Ride: Sakhir Orange M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootyzGruve View Post
I think Lance is a great idol for kids to look up to. He beat cancer and afterwards became one of the fittest men on the planet. He conquered his sport and continues to fight cancer via philanthropy.
Armstrong has little time for his Livestrong foundation saying at one 2003 event: 'I hate these f***ing things.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz25FcYJ42o

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin Koolaid View Post
I've never heard of a woman wanting more than she actually deserved. Never.
stapler12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 04:31 PM   #34
Xcelratr

My Ride: 04 330Ci ZHP
Quote:
I don't know why they keep bringing this up. If he passed the tests then, leave him alone.
The rumor mill says it's because he was trying to get seriously into triathlons, potentially Ironman. If he would have stayed retired, USADA would have left him alone because the Fed investigation didn't turn up enough to charge him, and the TdF wins were long enough ago.

But the fact that he was going to get big into tris, and there are all these people accusing him (Landis, Hamilton, allegedly Hincapie, Andreu, etc, his link to Ferrari) meant the USADA had to take their shot at him. They couldn't just stand by and let someone so high-profile, with so much suspicion swirling around him, compete in pro-level tris without addressing the issue, either by going after him or publicly dismissing the accusations.

None of that means that USADA is right, or that Lance never doped. But that's "supposedly" why they filed their charges against him.

Re: passing the tests, I agree. If you have a stack of empirical, objective testing data that says he's clean, and you have "eyewitness" testimony that says he's not, you'd better be able to explain why the test data says he's clean.

Did he dodge the tests? Did he bribe the lab? Did he use some exotic stuff that doesn't show up on the tests? All possibilities. But before you throw out all your objective test data and find someone "guilty" IMHO you'd better be able to explain why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
I don't really look at it as cheating. Most people can do it if they really want, most people do do it-source- a child hood friend who is a pro athlete.

Just allow everyone to do it and there's no issue. I don't want to hear the argument about "it's not fair to previous generations players"

Did those players wear gloves when catching footballs, did they have the modern day gym facilities, did they have the technology of new equipment? No, they didn't. chalk up the steroid use to improvements in the tech of the sports.

The biggest thing to take away from this is that there are things in each and every sport that contribute to "better athletes" now than in previous years, more than steroids do and the entire reason for the steroid debate is because people are shattering records, not because some minor league player can't get them too.

BTW, most people don't know sh1t about steroids and think you automatically get better at a sport while on them.
I'm on the fence about just letting athletes dope if they want. On the one hand, I agree with you that if a doper wants to take these risks and make these sacrifices, that's his/her choice.

On the other hand, do we really want to create an entire sports world where it's simply impossible to compete without doping? Or without being able to afford the newest, coolest drugs? How many people will have access to good, accurate information about dosages, cycles, recoveries, risks, etc?

Another question is at what age should an athlete be allowed to start doping? Should doping be allowed in college football, but not high school? Will kids start getting needles and patches for their 18th birthday?

I'm not disagreeing with you, I just think we need to look a long ways down that road before we decide to go that direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJon View Post

It's funny

false idols
Agree on false idols.

Where did Lance admit to cheating?

Quote:
Armstrong has little time for his Livestrong foundation saying at one 2003 event: 'I hate these f***ing things.'

Who cares? Just because he doesn't like attending charity events, does that mean he's a doper, or disingenuous, or even a bad guy?

I don't know the guy, never met him. But if you just isolate Livestrong and look at the visibility and awareness it's brought to helping cancer patients, the fact that Lance doesn't like attending certain events is completely irrelevant.

What should he have done? Forced himself to like attending the events? Never started Livestrong because he hates attending events?

Even if it's true that he said that, and even if it means exactly what it sounds like it means, IDGAF. I've been in that exact same situation, it's my job or my obligation to attend a function, but I hate it. I put on a happy face and do what I have to do, but I might admit to someone I trust that I'd rather be anywhere else.

Yes
----------------------------------------------

Last edited by Xcelratr; 09-01-2012 at 04:33 PM.
Xcelratr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 05:45 PM   #35
mkodama

Quote:
Quote:

A nobody who talk like he had hots for lance armstrong's wife, took lance armstrong to court, and goes to news companies to tell everyone about lance armstrong is totally legit. There is no way he could have ever done that for publicity or attention. NEVER!

mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 06:38 PM   #36
Born Again

Location: Tis quite a statement. Where do you live - where do we all live? in our minds? our souls? our bodies?
My Ride: She aint much 330ci
Quote:
U know Marion jones passed several ped tests so don't even go there.

Armstrong is a cheater and there are so many people ready to testify too.

The sport is so dirty - got it?

best mod to date : OEM grocery bag holder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
E46Fanatics - the Honda community of gun owners. Keep staying classy, I'm sure you all are going to be excellent examples of how to keep gun rights from being infringed. :facepalm:
Born Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 07:41 AM   #37
benzfreak

My Ride: my ride
Quote:
U know Marion jones passed several ped tests so don't even go there.

Armstrong is a cheater and there are so many people ready to testify too.

The sport is so dirty - got it?
Sir yes sir

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Bimmer App
Old 09-02-2012, 07:50 AM   #38
swordsman11868

My Ride: 2003 325i
What's a ped test? Pediatric?
Old 09-02-2012, 10:37 AM   #39
Born Again

Location: Tis quite a statement. Where do you live - where do we all live? in our minds? our souls? our bodies?
My Ride: She aint much 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post

If they allowed for peds through regulation then I agree. There are some out there that don't dope

So it's what's fair in the spirit of the competition.

In sports everyone cheats - what is acceptable ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by swordsman11868 View Post
What's a ped test? Pediatric?
Performance enhancing drug

best mod to date : OEM grocery bag holder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
E46Fanatics - the Honda community of gun owners. Keep staying classy, I'm sure you all are going to be excellent examples of how to keep gun rights from being infringed. :facepalm:
Born Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:44 AM   #40
accolade

My Ride: O||||||O
Innocent until proven innocent then deemed guilty. Great system they have.
accolade is offline   Reply With Quote