E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-23-2012, 01:35 PM   #121
darksideracer69

My Ride: 01 325ci
^ Maybe you should post that in its own thread instead of bombing this one.

Sent from my Dell Streak

IMAG02051
darksideracer69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 01:36 PM   #122
xixixi
Banned User

My Ride: 01 330x-xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by darksideracer69 View Post
^ Maybe you should post that in its own thread instead of bombing this one.

Sent from my Dell Streak
Oh my bad, I saw someone asking about a stett group buy. Figure I'd try to help out. When I ordered my headers from Schmiedmann I got them within 4 days from denmark.....

Last edited by xixixi; 08-23-2012 at 01:38 PM.
xixixi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 05:54 PM   #123
Alanz0

My Ride: 325i
I might be in for that group buy^
Alanz0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 05:47 AM   #124
///Mvious

My Ride: E46 330
I'd be in on a group buy!
///Mvious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 12:19 PM   #125
xixixi
Banned User

I'll make some phone calls/emails see what I can get going. I'll also start a new thread.
Old 08-24-2012, 01:02 PM   #126
mkodama

Yucky quality. I hope they are affordable.

mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 01:57 PM   #127
aggieE46
Keep it clean

My Ride: 03 Evo, 07 Passat
Send a message via AIM to aggieE46
The Gen 3 reps? Did you see them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkodama View Post
Yucky quality. I hope they are affordable.
Old 08-24-2012, 02:45 PM   #128
mkodama

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggieE46 View Post
The Gen 3 reps? Did you see them?
The pictures in the first post? They are all around just sloppy. I'm not sure why anyone would buy them on looks alone.

-The single piece flange to the head is uglier, cheaper, and heavier than the much nicer individual flange setup you would see on some nice headers, like euro S50 headers come to mind.

-The head flange looks like it's been nicked with a grinder on the sealing surface.

-The welds are sloppy TIG welds. The biggest complaint I have is inconsistency and coloration. Makes me wonder what the back side of the weld looks like, and I wouldn't be surprised if there were inconsistent amounts of penetration, and protrusions back there.

-Weld oxidation hasn't been cleaned up. In addition to being unsightly unless the welds are perfect, there is a small heat affected zone outside of the weld that is much more prone to rusting.

-Tubing looks hand polished on the outside, which is a pretty inefficient use of time, as well as inconsistent. Probably would have been better to quickly hand scuff the headers after welding, and then electropolish the completed manifold. This would also have cleaned up the weld coloration and areas of affected corrosion resistance. Also corrosion resistance on the inside of the manifold would be improved slightly.

-The finish on the sealing surface of the head flange looks questionable. It's been machined in some way, but looks strongly like it was just put on a belt sander. Not a good for flatness of the surface and good sealing if it was done that way.

-Inconsistent chamfers on the stud holes on the head flange. Looks like it was either done by hand and without much care.

-Grinding on the inside of the tubes to clean up poor welding. Poor design to require this, another inefficient use of time.

-All the ripples in the tubing bends are unsightly, but unlikely to affect anything.

Last edited by mkodama; 09-07-2012 at 10:21 PM.
Old 08-24-2012, 06:33 PM   #129
xixixi
Banned User

Quote:
The pictures in the first post? They are all around just sloppy. I'm not sure why anyone would but them on looks alone.

-The single piece flange to the head is uglier, cheaper, and heavier than the much nicer individual flange setup you would see on some nice headers, like euro S50 headers come to mind.

-The head flange looks like it's been nicked with a grinder on the sealing surface.

-The welds are sloppy TIG welds. The biggest complaint I have is inconsistency and coloration. Makes me wonder what the back side of the weld looks like, and I wouldn't be surprised if there were inconsistent amounts of penetration, and protrusions back there.

-Weld oxidation hasn't been cleaned up. In addition to being unsightly unless the welds are perfect, there is a small heat affected zone outside of the weld that is much more prone to rusting.

-Tubing looks hand polished on the outside, which is a pretty inefficient use of time, as well as inconsistent. Probably would have been better to quickly hand scuff the headers after welding, and then electropolish the completed manifold. This would also have cleaned up the weld coloration and areas of affected corrosion resistance. Also corrosion resistance on the inside of the manifold would be improved slightly.

-The finish on the sealing surface of the head flange looks questionable. It's been machined in some way, but looks strongly like it was just put on a belt sander. Not a good for flatness of the surface and good sealing if it was done that way.

-Inconsistent chamfers on the stud holes on the head flange. Looks like it was either done by hand and without much care.

-Grinding on the inside of the tubes to clean up poor welding. Poor design to require this, another inefficient use of time.

-All the ripples in the tubing bends are unsightly, but unlikely to affect anything.
This is a detailed review of the current Bimmer Brake Headers. Almost everything you have said is spot on. Have you seen this thread before? http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...bay+headers+vs
Old 08-30-2012, 11:45 PM   #130
serdar255

My Ride: '01 325ci / '90 325i
Quote:
The pictures in the first post? They are all around just sloppy. I'm not sure why anyone would but them on looks alone.

What do you think about stett.

image (10) by serdar.gurhan, on Flickr
For coding, custom shift knobs, and vinyl stickers: PM me
serdar255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:52 PM   #131
Jets330

My Ride: scrapes alot
Quote:
Originally Posted by serdar255 View Post
Agreed. anyone vouch for stett headers?
Jets330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 12:08 AM   #132
mkodama

Quote:
Originally Posted by serdar255 View Post
I've never seen up close pictures of them, so I can't say.

Old 08-31-2012, 05:43 AM   #133
///Mvious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets330 View Post
Agreed. anyone vouch for stett headers?
??

Last edited by ///Mvious; 08-31-2012 at 05:47 AM. Reason: reply on next post
Old 08-31-2012, 05:46 AM   #134
///Mvious

Anxious to hear...Willing to pay more than ebay headers if there is some kind of assurance on fit & quality...whatever that might be...not looking to spend Supersprint $$ though
Old 09-07-2012, 07:14 PM   #135
bikeaddict

My Ride: e46 330ci
are these pretty much dead for now?
bikeaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:01 PM   #136
darksideracer69

My Ride: 01 325ci
Still no reply on fitment?

Sent from my Dell Streak

IMAG02051
darksideracer69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:02 PM   #137
xixixi
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by darksideracer69 View Post
Still no reply on fitment?

Sent from my Dell Streak
The internet in china is heavily censored, maybe he is having issues getting this site.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:47 PM   #138
Iceman00
I screwed up and can't post

My Ride: E90 6MT
All those 'quality' complaints will probably amount to zero difference in power output and fitment. As long as they fit, make power and are affordable, who cares how they look? They aren't exactly a 'wear' part, they'll do just fine.
Iceman00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 12:18 AM   #139
Hornung418

My Ride: '04 MB ZHP
Seriously considering some Schmeidmann headers. What's the OD on the merge point, XIXIXI? 2.05"?

Sent from my DROIDX using Bimmer App
Old 09-08-2012, 12:21 AM   #140
Alanz0

My Ride: 325i
Any word on stett?
Alanz0 is offline   Reply With Quote