E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-25-2012, 05:34 PM   #1
mrp1p

My Ride: e46 318ci + 318i
Question Melted pin on EWS chip anyone?

Evening guys. Bought another e46 this morning

2000 318i 100k miles on the clock.
m43tub19 (BMS46) with EWS 3
Sold as a non-starter, cranking but not firing.

Towed her around the corner because I felt quite guilty fixing her on the seller's driveway. Connected to INPA and found the error:

140 - Interface DME - EWS

Swapped the EWS, DME and the key from my coupe, and she started first time, and sounds amazing for a car that hadn't been started in over 6 months.
Upon opening the modules, the DME looks flawless, but the EWS is in quite a state. Red gunk all over the place and a pin melted on the chip.

I removed all my working modules, just incase the cause of the melted pin is still present. I'd like to order a new set, but am quite sceptical about these sorts of problems, as they have a habbit of returning.

So has anyone had any similar problems with their EWS?
Or does anyone care to take a guess as to what could have caused the pin to melt in the first place?
Also does anyone know if the red/brown stuff is some kind of protective coating?

For anyone else trying to troubleshoot similar issues;
The car cranked fine, but the DME wasn't sparking. The EWS had no relevant errors and responded as expected to all commands in INPA, the only sign of a problem was the error mentioned above stored in the DME.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1653.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	134.1 KB
ID:	466322  
mrp1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-25-2012, 05:43 PM   #2
Zell

My Ride: Has no throttle

Now I'm colorblind so I can't really tell easily with that specific picture above, but does the back look something like that? To me, the right edge seems kind of red and is similar to what I see in your picture. That may be a protective coating, for waterproofing or to prevent tampering - who knows. Usually tamper-proof circuit boards have a big, ugly layer of brown stuff all over it that makes it impossible to see what's under it (without some serious equipment, at least).

The broken EWS could be a failed attempt at the previous owner connecting to it.

http://www.resettools.com/bmw_scanner_1.4.0

Scroll to the bottom of the page.

Last edited by Zell; 08-25-2012 at 05:46 PM.
Zell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 08:08 PM   #3
mrp1p

My Ride: e46 318ci + 318i
Very interesting stuff! Im sure they are the same, will check properly in the morning and do some thorough reading.
And not to worry about the red stuff, I opened the working EWS and it looks almost identical with the exception of the broken pin, so I'm quite confident it must just be some sort of protective laquer as you suggested.

I think you may also be right about the attempted repair, the module was dangling by the wire when I removed the plastic panel to access it. And I'm not sure how clear it is in the photo but it looks like the pin in question is way too long, as if someone has tried to solder a wire directly on to the chip.

Thanks for your help! Very much appreciated as always.

Phil
mrp1p is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cranks but no start, ews, melted pin, wont start