E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-24-2012, 11:08 PM   #21
JohnIBarr01

My Ride: ZHP 6MT, Mk.6, Jeep
Quote:
Originally Posted by //TRD power View Post
You know higher octane is less combustible? High octane just means a higher concentration of RETARDANT, to prevent premature combustion in like a ferrari or V8. IMO 87 is good for V/I6 and below. I always get the same mileage and no knocking. It's such a marketing scam for people thinking it's "cleaning better with higher grade" Wasting money on a rust bucket thinking it's Bentley status.
You know that you should take your turd of a TRD Toyota and move along, unless you can refrain from spewing any more BS like this, right?

Had a Camry rental today. Biggest pile of **** I have driven in a long while. We should have used more force.
Let me guess: This doesn't happen in Germany
JohnIBarr01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 11:32 PM   #22
MJLavelle

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
Did you know that , depending on the pipeline and the company, some gas is shipped through the same line, just pumped in, one after the other? For example, they will shove 87 octane gas in, and then pump in the 89, then the 93. The operators on the other end know that X number of gallons coming out will be 87, then Y gallons, are 89, then Z gallons are 93. They remove a certain number of gallons between each batch, that is used in industrial furnaces, and other places that don't have many problems with multiple octanes.
For some reason, I thought this was interesting. I always assumed there were seperate lines. Then of course, multiple companies will buy the same gas, and mix in their additive packages. There is always some mixing of octanes, to some degree, which is why the the labels state that the octane is determined by an Average of the (R+M)/2 formula.
MJLavelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 08:36 AM   #23
alpine003

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJLavelle View Post
Did you know that , depending on the pipeline and the company, some gas is shipped through the same line, just pumped in, one after the other? For example, they will shove 87 octane gas in, and then pump in the 89, then the 93. The operators on the other end know that X number of gallons coming out will be 87, then Y gallons, are 89, then Z gallons are 93.
Important to note that these days, a majority of the gas stations either have only two holding tanks or utilize two and mix both high and low octane gas on the fly at the pump. So they will mix 93 and 87 or 91 and 87 to achieve the 89 octane rating at the gas station.

Either way as others have pointed out, we should only be using premium per manufacturers recommendation.
Old 08-26-2012, 09:48 AM   #24
jneumann

My Ride: 323i, 530i, Z4 3.0i
Send a message via AIM to jneumann
Quote:
Originally Posted by //TRD power View Post
You know higher octane is less combustible? High octane just means a higher concentration of RETARDANT, to prevent premature combustion in like a ferrari or V8. IMO 87 is good for V/I6 and below. I always get the same mileage and no knocking. It's such a marketing scam for people thinking it's "cleaning better with higher grade" Wasting money on a rust bucket thinking it's Bentley status.
You really have no fvcking clue what you are talking about. Number of cylinders has absolutely nothing to do with octane requirement. You could run 87 octane in a Veyron if you swapped in low compression pistons. You could also run 93 and see a noticeable improvement in power (given a proper tune) in your crapsicle of a car with higher compression pistons swapped in. There are actually dyno proven gains from running higher octane fuel in modern BMWs. And no, you don't notice knocking in modern cars that require 91+ because the DME adapts to crappy fuel and drops power output to save the engine from blowing itself up.

I'm usually not one to insult people's car choices, but if you come in here acting like you know everything, you will be put in your place.

Dynavin Android | Laser Interceptor | GRE PSR-800 | STi-R+ | M3 seats | 50W 4300K FX-R Retrofit | Solid black interior | Mtech II front bumper | Koni FSDs
Member, Three Pedal Mafia | Long informative article on oil | BITOG German Castrol FAQ

jneumann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 10:06 AM   #25
psan03

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
+100 ^^

Sent from my SGH-I997 using Bimmer App

-03 Silver Grey 325i-
Quote:
Originally Posted by tifreak View Post
wire a car bomb to your ignition, when he goes to steal it you'll know :shhh:
psan03 is offline   Reply With Quote