E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-26-2012, 03:39 PM   #41
Sound Performance
Past Site Sponsor

Location: Well, Dick, here's the deal: I'm the best there is, plain and simple. I mean, I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence. You know, nobody can hang with my stuff.
My Ride: Is very FAST
I did source the housing..... PTE does not offer a divided housing for the 75 turbine wheel.
Sound Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:01 AM   #42
pilot1ner

My Ride: e46
After speaking with Saad, Jim and Jason, the 67 is the only way to go. I thought the QSV would have shifted the power band more which seemed to not be the case. 6766 turbo hits just before 3 grand,..Ill take that over 5 grand any day. Plus with these new turbos they can put down 950hp and thats cool for me. haha
pilot1ner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 02:06 PM   #43
Commanderwiggin

My Ride: 900rwhp Turbo M3
How's the car running?
Old 04-12-2013, 04:27 PM   #44
FragNasty

My Ride: Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot1ner View Post
It wasnt converted to a twin scroll. Precision turbo makes divided housing(twin scroll).

Peace
That is correct. QSV would use the twinscroll turbine housing on a single scroll exhaust manifold. While I'm sure a true twin-scroll QSV setup could be fashioned by modifying the valve to divert exhaust gasses, it would only be a true twin scroll while the value is open.

For anyone who doesn't fully understand why QSV spools faster:

The following page from Garrett explains what Turbine AR ratios are and why a lower ratio like a 0.5 spools faster than a 0.9. It details the main drawback for lower AR ratios - limit to top end power due to increased exhaust back pressure.

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbob...housing_sizing

QSV allows for a turbo setup to effectively be able to use a lower Turbine AR ratio at lower engine speeds or boost levels (valve closed) for faster spool and then switch to the larger AR ratio (valve open) to get the benefits of the larger AR ratio - increase top end power and reduce exhaust back-pressure.

It could also be called "Variable Turbine AR Mechanism" as that is exactly what it does with the turbo that makes it work they way it does, but that name is both unpleasant and a tongue twister.

Update:

QSV is basically a very simple way for a turbo system to be given characteristics similar to a Sequential Turbo setup. I've posted an image that Sound Performance put up that depicts the sequential turbo setup on a 2JZ (Supra engine):

Pilot1ner, a simple way to see if the QSV has made a difference for your ride is to test it. Dyno the car as is, then ask the tech to jerry rig the QSV valve so that it's stuck open (no QSV) and do another run on the dyno so you can compare the results.

If you don't see a _distinct_ difference in the runs, it's possible that the turbo was sized incorrectly for your project.

Last edited by FragNasty; 04-12-2013 at 08:13 PM.
FragNasty is offline   Reply With Quote