E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-24-2012, 10:13 PM   #1
E46inthe206

My Ride: 2003 BMW 330Ci
Couple quick questions!

How do Raceland coilovers rate from 1-10 if I'm just looking for a drop? I'm not worried about risking the quality of the ride n' stuff.. I'll just need it lowered by a few inches once I get my wheels/tires on..
Also, Anyone know where I can get some white/xenon bulbs for the corners and side markers? My lenses are clear and I'm not really feelin' the orange bulbs.. For the corners, is there a way to just not have them as running lights at all?
Links would be appreciated
Thanks!
E46inthe206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-24-2012, 10:21 PM   #2
hi its me alec

My Ride: BMWs + 1988 Pathy
Send a message via AIM to hi its me alec Send a message via MSN to hi its me alec
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46inthe206 View Post
How do Raceland coilovers rate from 1-10 if I'm just looking for a drop? I'm not worried about risking the quality of the ride n' stuff.. I'll just need it lowered by a few inches once I get my wheels/tires on..
Also, Anyone know where I can get some white/xenon bulbs for the corners and side markers? My lenses are clear and I'm not really feelin' the orange bulbs.. For the corners, is there a way to just not have them as running lights at all?
Links would be appreciated
Thanks!
Raceland Coils will drop you really low, so 8. But if you get them, leave your stock rear shocks in. The shocks they come with aren't matched to the spring rates and the stock ones are actually more ideal at all heights.

I like the orangeness of the bulbs inside clear corners. But they make bulbs that have a coating of translucent silver paint. Go to a site like jlevisw.com or khoalty.com for that.

Search 'corner delete' in the General or DIY forums. There will be plenty of info there.

hi its me alec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 06:10 AM   #3
E46inthe206

Thanks for the thorough response man!
Old 08-26-2012, 02:36 PM   #4
E46inthe206

So I found these just a minute ago, they're 19x8.5 all around, hyperblack CSL reps with a +40 offset.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/19-CSL-REPLI...ht_6423wt_1339

Are these considered relatively cheap? And what tire sizes should I run for a clean flush look after a drop? 235/35(40?) all around?

Last edited by E46inthe206; 08-26-2012 at 02:37 PM.
Old 08-26-2012, 02:46 PM   #5
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector

My Ride: '99 Techno Violet M3
I don't want to come in here and start a fight, but Raceland/Rokkor coilovers are low quality and I would strongly advise against installing them on your BMW.

If you've already decided you want them, at least do what Alec said above as the rear shocks included with Racelands are far too bouncy to be considered safe.

1999 Techno Violet Metallic M3
Bilstein | Kosei K1 Racing | Toyo Proxes R888 | BMW CCA #430881

tock172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 03:14 PM   #6
E46inthe206

How do they compare to the stock suspension? What'll I feel different?
Also I'm doing it more for the drop than the performance.

My friend has them on his e36 1j swap and he said they're perfectly fine..

And no fight intended haha no worries!
Old 08-26-2012, 03:16 PM   #7
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector

Here is a 57 page thread on Racelands:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=710693

More info:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=844557

This pretty much sums it up:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...7&postcount=17

Last edited by tock172; 08-26-2012 at 03:17 PM.
Old 08-26-2012, 03:27 PM   #8
E46inthe206

I'm reading 90% positive feedback.

I'm not taking my car to the track or anything.. I mean yeah I'll do a couple pulls here and there but for the most part I'm not rough with it nor abuse it at all.

Some people hate godspeed, some people hate eibach, and some people hate raceland.. in the end, it's just a matter of what you can afford, and your personal preference.
Old 08-26-2012, 03:30 PM   #9
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector

Good luck finding people that actually have a good reason to hate:

Bilstein
H&R
Koni
Eibach
KW
ST
TC Kline

I could go on.

Also, keep in mind who is posting this positive feedback. Are these people with an established presence on the forum who are known for giving good advice, or are they brand new users who don't have a clue?

Last edited by tock172; 08-26-2012 at 03:33 PM.
Old 08-26-2012, 03:37 PM   #10
E46inthe206

I've got friends who use and who have used raceland's and they don't see any issues with them. Issues will be found with anything if you're really picky and if you expect godspeed or eibach quality from a 300-400 dollar suspension setup. Personally I don't see there being a problem if I'm being nice to the car as a daily driver..
Old 08-26-2012, 03:46 PM   #11
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector

Quote:
I've got friends who use and who have used raceland's and they don't see any issues with them. Issues will be found with anything if you're really picky and if you expect godspeed or eibach quality from a 300-400 dollar suspension setup. Personally I don't see there being a problem if I'm being nice to the car as a daily driver..
First of all, two periods in a row doesn't mean anything. You should be using 3 periods, which is called an ellipsis.

Second, your car cost in the neighborhood of $40,000 when it was new. I know it's probably only worth around $10k today, but that doesn't mean it deserves a low quality suspension set up.

Also, keep in mind where these parts are coming from. China. Now this is not to say everything that comes out of China is junk. My iPad & iPhone are perfect examples of high quality, Chinese manufactured goods. Unfortunately, Raceland/Rokkor does not employ the same quality control and quality assurance standards that a company like Apple, or H&R or any other trusted brand uses. Your friend may have had good luck with Racelands, but because there are no ISO standards followed in the manufacturing of Raceland coilovers, you may not be so lucky.

In addition, you will likely be requiring a myriad of other components in addition to a new suspension set up to actually improve the feel and handling of your BMW. Rear shock mounts, front control arms, control arm bushings, rear trailing arm bushings, front and rear reinforcement plates, etc.

Old 08-26-2012, 04:22 PM   #12
E46inthe206

Alright, I'll be sure to use three periods next time..

Anyway, I'll be purchasing raceland's because the performance is already pretty top notch. I could care less about the feel, there's no way it'll be worse than my Z. I'll adapt and be fine with it within a couple days. I'm not picky like most people, plus my friend's raceland setup doesn't feel bad at all, so I have something to go off of. I don't think I'll be needing any other components, if I wanted to treat this car like an M3, I would. Like I said before, I'm primarily looking for a drop.

Back to my other previous post - What tire size(s) would look good on 19x8.5 wheels all around, without any rubbing issues? (Post-drop).
Old 08-26-2012, 04:25 PM   #13
darksideracer69

My Ride: 01 325ci
Lol

Sent from my Dell Streak

IMAG02051
darksideracer69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 04:30 PM   #14
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector

Quote:
Alright, I'll be sure to use three periods next time..

Anyway, I'll be purchasing raceland's because the performance is already pretty top notch. I could care less about the feel, there's no way it'll be worse than my Z. I'll adapt and be fine with it within a couple days. I'm not picky like most people, plus my friend's raceland setup doesn't feel bad at all, so I have something to go off of. I don't think I'll be needing any other components, if I wanted to treat this car like an M3, I would. Like I said before, I'm primarily looking for a drop.

Back to my other previous post - What tire size(s) would look good on 19x8.5 wheels all around, without any rubbing issues? (Post-drop).
Alright, this is a lost cause. I'll be waiting for your, "My expansion tank BLEW UP!" thread in a few weeks.

Old 08-26-2012, 04:54 PM   #15
E46inthe206

Are you on your period? Damn dude haha relax. I told you I won't be abusing the suspension at all, so I'm not worried one bit. Do your own thing and don't worry about me, all I asked for was a 0-10 rating.
Old 08-26-2012, 05:02 PM   #16
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector

Quote:
Are you on your period? Damn dude haha relax. I told you I won't be abusing the suspension at all, so I'm not worried one bit. Do your own thing and don't worry about me, all I asked for was a 0-10 rating.
1. I am not a female (having a period is impossible for me)
2. Racelands are low quality suspension components
3. Replacing broken and worn out parts on your car does not mean you are treating your car like an M3, it means you are maintaining the car properly. No shame in that.
4. Racelands are junk.

You are abusing your car by installing Racelands. End of story.

Definition of abuse: 1. to use wrongly or improperly; misuse.

Lastly, I have nothing to worry about. My car features quality suspension components manufactured by Bilstein and H&R. I rate these components 10/10. My car has an excellent ride height and even better handling performance.

Last edited by tock172; 08-26-2012 at 05:03 PM.
Old 08-26-2012, 05:13 PM   #17
darksideracer69

My Ride: 01 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by tock172 View Post
1. I am not a female (having a period is impossible for me)
2. Racelands are low quality suspension components
3. Replacing broken and worn out parts on your car does not mean you are treating your car like an M3, it means you are maintaining the car properly. No shame in that.
4. Racelands are junk.

You are abusing your car by installing Racelands. End of story.

Definition of abuse: 1. to use wrongly or improperly; misuse.

Lastly, I have nothing to worry about. My car features quality suspension components manufactured by Bilstein and H&R. I rate these components 10/10. My car has an excellent ride height and even better handling performance.
+1. I have Bilsteins and ground control I rate them 10/10. Racelands are low quality. Good luck.

Sent from my Dell Streak

IMAG02051
darksideracer69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 05:30 PM   #18
Andy2108

My Ride: E46 M3, '67 Cobra
OP, just get H&R Race Springs if all you care about is stance.
Andy2108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 06:53 PM   #19
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Damn it people, such misinformation, I'm ashamed to be associated with you!

Tock, you're the worst...for shame.

When an ellipsis comes at the end of a sentence, it's actually four dots--three only if it's in the middle of a sentence. I love the elipsis...almost more than my car.

OP, if you're looking at playing around with your suspension 'just' for a drop, and you want larger tires, I'd recommend you read many, many more threads. You're messing around with the suspension on a $40K car and taking the advice of fanatics!

Guys that get new shocks or whatever, certainly like them...they just paid money for them. There's a natural bias built into their reports.

Before you take the advice of anyone here seriously, you need to read a lot of their posts--guarantee for many you'll realize that maybe you don't want to weight their advice as heavily as others. If you see they have a history about having sex with beagles, say, you'd want to factor that into their recommendation about your suspension, wouldn't you?

I, personally, am of the ryfkm school when it comes to many mods. I'll just say before you drop too low or go too hella flush, that you consider unanticipated consequences--breaking up with your obese friends, never carrying anything in your trunk, not being able to date the ladies (or guys) on other side of speedbumps. Potholes, off road trips (I'm on messed up roads), snow, mudslides. Also, it's nice to give the squirrels and chipmunks a fighting chance.

Have you already done all your cooling system work? CCV, icv, ,tb, vac hoses, pulleys, belts, plugs, coil boots, vcg, ps hoses...etc?

If so, have fun with whatever you do...but don't try to find 'better' and cheaper. I have OE shocks...and I think they're Sachs (Boge was my e36's shocks iirc)...you will never go wrong OE.

Just read until you're throwing up and convulsing. Tremors don't count...you need to convulse. If you do, you stand a 10% chance of randomly doing close to 30% of what our friends the engineers at bmw built for you.

If you're an automotive engineering grad student, my apologies, otherwise just don't stray too far off the path...and consider your sources wisely.

Remember about the beagle thing though...lots of that going on around here.

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set Skip to 1:30
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote