E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-27-2012, 10:32 PM   #1
gray323i2000

My Ride: 323i 2000
E46 323i h&r springs do i need new shocks?

Hi All,

Im new to this forum, so sorry if i ask dumb questions, however,i did look and search for an answer and did not find it so.. i decided to ask.

I'm a proud owner of a 323i sedan, i know i know... Small engine, but who cares, its my baby! (;

Anyways, i currently run 17's on it, and well, i just made a few custom things on it etc, but i want to lower now. I was thinking of getting them h&r sport springs, which are about $300, which is around my budget, however, my friend said i might need shocks too, so thats my question.

DO I NEED SHOCKS AS WELL IF I BUY THE H&R SPRINGS? DO I NEED TO BUY THE SHOCKS AS WELL? OR CAN I RUN THE CURRENT ONES?

MY CAR IS PRETTY HIGH, DID NOT COME WITH SPORT PACKAGE SO YEAH, IL POST A PICTURE OF IT.

As you can see its got about 2.5 inches of free space, if not even 3 inches.

So i need your help, im planning to add some 19s in here once dropped.

let me know if i need shocks as well after installing the springs of drop 1.75 fron and .75 rear.

Let me know.

thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	baby with projector.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	466588   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0419.jpg
Views:	476
Size:	152.4 KB
ID:	466589  
gray323i2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:55 PM   #2
Usmc1028

My Ride: 1999 BMW 328i
Idk how many miles are on the car and all but i would if i were you.

If your going through all the trouble of taking the struts off. You might as well buy new struts im sure its well due for them. The shocks in the rear are pretty cheap and easy to do.

Hows your CAB???
Old 08-27-2012, 11:01 PM   #3
gray323i2000

Hi USMC1028

Yeah man i got about 180xxx miles on it, and i believe the shocks are stock as well, so they are about 12 years old.

Im thinking about buying the h&r sport springs, and was thinking if i could buy those, and maybe some shocks that might be a bit cheaper, do they have to be h&r as well/

If i buy cheaper springs will my car jump around like a low riders when riding it? or do they not matter?

Whats a cab?

thanks
Old 08-27-2012, 11:26 PM   #4
ryannel2003

My Ride: '04 Cadillac Deville
CAB = Control Arm Bushings. Replace at any sign of cracking. Hows the front end feel during cornering? Tire wear even? Ball joints look good? E46's are very prone to have problematic front ends as they get older. If you're on the original suspension parts up front, it will be time to replace those as well.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:38 PM   #5
white46

My Ride: e46 323ci
At that mileage, personally, I would change shocks as well.
minimum get new shocks, springs, and front/rear shock mounts. Oh, make sure you get rear shock mount supporting plate too.
Old 08-28-2012, 12:20 AM   #6
gray323i2000

Yeah, so i should change them right? Do you think some on ebay for like $150 should be good? or do i have to get good shocks for my car not to bounch when riding it? let me know. Also, my car rubs with 17's on, is that a sign that my springs or shocks are bad? i heard a lot of people that my car shouldn't rub with 17's stock everything, car rubs with 3 people in it on turns etc.

thanks!
Old 08-28-2012, 12:27 AM   #7
Zell

My Ride: '02 Dogemobile Shibe
Yes, your shocks are probably worn out by now anyway. Get compatible shocks with your H&R Springs.

eBay is not where you should be purchasing shocks. For optimal performance, your shocks should be made by:

- Bilstein
- Koni
- Sachs-Boge

Their websites should tell you which shocks are compatible with those springs. You want the most out of your new springs, but you don't want to ruin your new shocks quickly by putting too much stress on them.

Last edited by Zell; 08-28-2012 at 12:28 AM.
Zell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:54 AM   #8
white46

My Ride: e46 323ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by gray323i2000 View Post
Yeah, so i should change them right? Do you think some on ebay for like $150 should be good? or do i have to get good shocks for my car not to bounch when riding it? let me know. Also, my car rubs with 17's on, is that a sign that my springs or shocks are bad? i heard a lot of people that my car shouldn't rub with 17's stock everything, car rubs with 3 people in it on turns etc.

thanks!
Wondering... what's you budget like?
If the car rubs with 17s, by looking at the picture you posted, rear wheel seems sticking out little too much causing rubbing against rear fender.

Please don't drop the car until rubbing problem has been solved!
Old 08-28-2012, 01:06 AM   #9
gray323i2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by white46 View Post
Wondering... what's you budget like?
If the car rubs with 17s, by looking at the picture you posted, rear wheel seems sticking out little too much causing rubbing against rear fender.

Please don't drop the car until rubbing problem has been solved!
Bro, the car was uneven there because of the sand,

but i just went out and took a picture of the front and the rear 2 sides.

on front i can fit about 4 fingers, as you can see on pick, now the back is weird, on one side (left side) i can fit about 2 fingers tight in there, and on the other side (right side) i fit 3 fingers like nothing, look at pics below, i think this is why the car rubs, so the car might not be aligned properly or something cause i fit more fingers on 1 side than the other... why? does this mean the springs are bad or shocks? or both? let me know! thanksss!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0606.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	466607   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0607.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	466608   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0608.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	466609   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0609.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	466610  

Old 08-28-2012, 02:35 AM   #10
bigloser

My Ride: 2004 330i ZHP
Incorrect offset on the rims, an unnecessary spacer, or improperly sized tires could also cause a rub, and you really want to fix the rub prior to dropping the car. Where is it rubbing, up front or in the back?

As for ebay springs, just say no. ~$200 gets you springs from H&R or Eibach, both of which are high quality. As for shocks, Koni Sports, Koni STR.T, and Bilstien Sport shocks are all designed for lowered cars and are of high quality. OEM(Sachs), Bilstein HD, Bilstein touring, or any other stock replacement shock is designed for stock ride height and will fail prematurely if put on a lowered car. Shocks and springs are not places to cut corners in the price dept.

1984 318i - Dead
1998 328is - Sold
2004 330i ZHP - I think I'm in love
bigloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 02:49 AM   #11
choxor

My Ride: JDM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigloser View Post
Incorrect offset on the rims, an unnecessary spacer, or improperly sized tires could also cause a rub, and you really want to fix the rub prior to dropping the car. Where is it rubbing, up front or in the back?

As for ebay springs, just say no. ~$200 gets you springs from H&R or Eibach, both of which are high quality. As for shocks, Koni Sports, Koni STR.T, and Bilstien Sport shocks are all designed for lowered cars and are of high quality. OEM(Sachs), Bilstein HD, Bilstein touring, or any other stock replacement shock is designed for stock ride height and will fail prematurely if put on a lowered car. Shocks and springs are not places to cut corners in the price dept.

And OP it's time to do serious inspection of all your suspension components. Like others have said, at your mileage your shocks are shot. I wouldn't be surprised if that's not the only thing that's shot.

Best to figure out what all needs to be changed out before you replace your springs so you only have to do it once.

Read this. http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...561&highlight=

Last edited by choxor; 08-28-2012 at 02:52 AM.
choxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:04 AM   #12
badass1g

My Ride: yeller
With 180k miles you will def want to replace the struts. With only using a slight drop with HR sport springs you would be fine with stock struts. I Just installed some Tein S springs with my stock 70k mile m3 struts. It rides great for the drop it provides. BUT, the M3 comes pretty low from factory as you can imagine, so it really only lowered it about an inch maybe a hair more. So the stock struts arent totally in shock from that 1 inch.

It only took me 1.5 hrs to do all 4 springs install, its a very easy install. You can usually find a used set of springs for 100-150 shipped so do a search before you buy new. Springs do not go bad lol. Shop around for the struts, call autozone etc. Ebay is just fine to buy struts off, as long as your not buying a cheapo ebay brand like when you see coilover sets selling for $50 shipped LMAO.

Just know what your buying if it is legit or not and you will be fine. I would however google "e46 H&R sport springs" and look at the images of the drop to make sure it will be low enough for you. I personally would not be happy with such a small drop, but with how tall your car sits right now it might be enough for you. Good luck sir.
badass1g is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
323i, sedan, sedan 323i