E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-26-2012, 03:12 PM   #21
325inthe510

My Ride: 152ci of madness
I usually get around 20 mpg city/34 mpg highway, around 24-26 mixed

Quote:
Originally Posted by aikmanson View Post
119k 323ci 5 speed. 28 town / 34-35 highway. Maintenance is up to date and just replaced my fuel filter which gave me an extra 1.5 all around.

These are my average numbers to be honest, even with some spirited driving and high shifts.
on the bolded part

325inthe510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 03:40 PM   #22
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by 325inthe510 View Post
I usually get around 20 mpg city/34 mpg highway, around 24-26 mixed

on the bolded part
No one's getting 34 on the highway either. Math challenged.
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 11:12 AM   #23
aikmanson

My Ride: 2000 323ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBoy323i View Post
Dude teach me your ways. I get 16mpg city and 25 ish on highways. Gonna do a big tune up soon do hopefully that helps
It's called proper maintainence and driving conservatively when necessary.

I checked my OBC numbers with gas receipts and the OBC numbers were pretty spot on, over exaggerating by .5 to 1 mpg over a few fill ups. Nothing substantial enough to warrant not believing my OBC.
aikmanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 12:01 PM   #24
edz2003

My Ride: 2003 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagean View Post
Driving like a tank is not good, imo (for as little as it counts) it seems like your not getting enough of something: spark, gas, air (those are the easy ones to check). Make a check list, and take your time, also, check your codes anyways. My light doesn't come on, but it will still store codes. I just figured my light is burnt out.

also Edz, how long has this been going on?
To be honest it's been off and On but I dropped from 19.8 mpg to 18.8 recently and don't know how and I feel the car drives heavy. So I've changed the sparks 4 months ago, airfilter is a k&n and took it out and it's not dirty at all I had bought the kit to clean it! I replaced my fuel filter and fuel pump last year after it gave up on me. I have been experiencing some idel issues so wondering if injectors are to blame? Have not replaced them. It's eating up gas like a truck!
edz2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 12:21 PM   #25
Jagean

My Ride: 2001 BMW 325i
I have a K&N in my camaro, so I won't bash them too hard, but they are notorious for aiding to the build up of gunk on the intake parts. In your case, MAF, ICV, and Throttle body. As a few of us said on the first page, start with cleaning those items really well. Cleaner is decently cheap, and it's a better starting point than throwing parts at it . Good Luck, keep us posted.
Jagean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 12:26 PM   #26
swordsman11868

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by edz2003 View Post
To be honest it's been off and On but I dropped from 19.8 mpg to 18.8 recently and don't know how and I feel the car drives heavy. So I've changed the sparks 4 months ago, airfilter is a k&n and took it out and it's not dirty at all I had bought the kit to clean it! I replaced my fuel filter and fuel pump last year after it gave up on me. I have been experiencing some idel issues so wondering if injectors are to blame? Have not replaced them. It's eating up gas like a truck!
I've been reading up on the Intake Cam Position Sensor. Just wondering if you have any starting issues? Like it cranks but doesn't start the first time. But the second time it starts?

I'm having that problem and I just noticed a little bit of oil on my intake CPS. I guess it's a failing O-ring that's letting oil leak out.

I've read other people have issues without generating any codes and one issue was gas mileage. I've noticed that my gas mileage is less than it was even a few months ago by about 3-4 mpg.

Anyway, it's just a suggestion. These cars seem to be very finely tuned and if only one tiny part is beginning to fail there can be a multitude of symptoms...

Old 08-27-2012, 12:39 PM   #27
edz2003

Quote:
I have a K&N in my camaro, so I won't bash them too hard, but they are notorious for aiding to the build up of gunk on the intake parts. In your case, MAF, ICV, and Throttle body. As a few of us said on the first page, start with cleaning those items really well. Cleaner is decently cheap, and it's a better starting point than throwing parts at it . Good Luck, keep us posted.
I'm gonna take It apart this weekend and check out the icv and clean the throttle, any special sprayer I should use? Throttle cleaner spray works fine? Also I know what you mean about k&ns I love em and hate em, but it's sucha huge difference compared to stock filters!
Old 08-27-2012, 12:45 PM   #28
edz2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by swordsman11868 View Post
I've been reading up on the Intake Cam Position Sensor. Just wondering if you have any starting issues? Like it cranks but doesn't start the first time. But the second time it starts?

I'm having that problem and I just noticed a little bit of oil on my intake CPS. I guess it's a failing O-ring that's letting oil leak out.

I've read other people have issues without generating any codes and one issue was gas mileage. I've noticed that my gas mileage is less than it was even a few months ago by about 3-4 mpg.

Anyway, it's just a suggestion. These cars seem to be very finely tuned and if only one tiny part is beginning to fail there can be a multitude of symptoms...

Have no trouble whatsoever with start, starts like a champ but back in nov I went into the vanos and change the seals then proceeded with replacing the gasket valve cover was wore out so change that since it has been leaking oil and noticed cracks on the valve cover it self so got that replaced as well!
Old 08-27-2012, 01:00 PM   #29
Jagean

Quote:
I'm gonna take It apart this weekend and check out the icv and clean the throttle, any special sprayer I should use? Throttle cleaner spray works fine? Also I know what you mean about k&ns I love em and hate em, but it's sucha huge difference compared to stock filters!
People have different opinions as far as what cleaner for what, but I just use what I'm supposed to, MAF cleaner for MAF, Throttle Body cleaner for the rest of the intake.

Also, I just went through doing all mine last week, so if you need instructions/vids or DIY let me know, and I'll go through my history for the ones I thought were the best.
Old 08-27-2012, 01:32 PM   #30
edz2003

Quote:
People have different opinions as far as what cleaner for what, but I just use what I'm supposed to, MAF cleaner for MAF, Throttle Body cleaner for the rest of the intake.

Also, I just went through doing all mine last week, so if you need instructions/vids or DIY let me know, and I'll go through my history for the ones I thought were the best.
I checked out few DIYs so have a basic understanding but If you could share that one you think it's best would be much appreciated!! Was your ICV pretty dirty??
Old 08-27-2012, 01:40 PM   #31
Jagean

Quote:
I checked out few DIYs so have a basic understanding but If you could share that one you think it's best would be much appreciated!! Was your ICV pretty dirty??

My ICV was clogged to the point of no movement. I was shocked to hear it moving when I started cleaning it. Also like I said on page one, take the time to take out your Throttle body.

Quote:
I was getting 22 hwy/city mile, and that was before I found the oil leak and changed out the oe spark plugs and Valve cover (oil on the plugs). I also cleaned the ICV and TB. Hope mine goes up, we'll find out this week.

When you clean your ICV take the time to clean your Throttle body also. After your ICV is out, its only four bolts, and an electronic clip. The front of mine was not bad, but the back side was covered in grime to the point it was restricting movement. There is a orange rubber gasket on the back, make sure that is in good shape also.
When you get to the hose clamps on the ICV and the Throttle, don't give up, they are a PITA but you'll get them.

Last edited by Jagean; 08-27-2012 at 01:42 PM.
Old 08-27-2012, 01:45 PM   #32
ice2003

My Ride: 02 330ci ZSP,ZPP,ZCW
I get around 25-26 mixed city/highway......long road trips with cruise around 28.
ice2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 06:09 PM   #33
buguyed

My Ride: '02 330i
I get between 23-26 driving around town. Last year I drove from Denver to Tulsa, averaging 31-33 with 4 guys in the car, cruise control at 80 mph. Verified with OBC and the old fashioned way.

This weekend I replaced a horribly cracked lower intake boot causing my MPG to drop from my 25-26 avg to 23-24, does anyone know if this is just the MAF adjusting for the long period of a bad lower intake boot? You could stick your pinky thru this thing. Oh and the "whistle" problem was fixed with this repair...
buguyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 06:18 PM   #34
BBBoy323i
All show no go!

My Ride: 2000 323i Black/Gray
Quote:
Originally Posted by aikmanson View Post
It's called proper maintainence and driving conservatively when necessary.

I checked my OBC numbers with gas receipts and the OBC numbers were pretty spot on, over exaggerating by .5 to 1 mpg over a few fill ups. Nothing substantial enough to warrant not believing my OBC.
I always drive conservatively, so far I have replaced my fuel filter, O2 sensors, and cleaned my MAF, planning to do spark plugs and vanos when I have time. I also have a crack in my upper intake boot so I "patched" it and gonna get an AFE intake soon.
Old 08-27-2012, 07:31 PM   #35
edz2003

Quote:

My ICV was clogged to the point of no movement. I was shocked to hear it moving when I started cleaning it. Also like I said on page one, take the time to take out your Throttle body.

When you get to the hose clamps on the ICV and the Throttle, don't give up, they are a PITA but you'll get them.
This is awesome thanks man. I'm expecting my iCV to be very dirty as well. I've sprayed the throttle body few times in the past but i'll clean it out again once i get to it this weekend. Also great video, hadn't seen that one before and i like the fact that its during day light and not in some garage where you could barely see what da heck they're doing.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:09 PM   #36
Jagean

Quote:
This is awesome thanks man. I'm expecting my iCV to be very dirty as well. I've sprayed the throttle body few times in the past but i'll clean it out again once i get to it this weekend. Also great video, hadn't seen that one before and i like the fact that its during day light and not in some garage where you could barely see what da heck they're doing.
I had the same problem the first few times I searched, I really hope this goes well for you.
Old 08-28-2012, 11:57 AM   #37
Dz1087

My Ride: 2003 325Ci
Dang, I only get around 21 in city. Don't do much hwy at all, so no numbers on that.

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using Bimmer App
Dz1087 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 01:11 PM   #38
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dz1087 View Post
Dang, I only get around 21 in city. Don't do much hwy at all, so no numbers on that.
That's a realistic honest number for city mileage. Be careful listening to the exaggeration of others.
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 01:41 PM   #39
scrace

My Ride: 03.5 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBoy323i View Post
I always drive conservatively, so far I have replaced my fuel filter, O2 sensors, and cleaned my MAF, planning to do spark plugs and vanos when I have time. I also have a crack in my upper intake boot so I "patched" it and gonna get an AFE intake soon.
Suspension and tires play a huge role. Shift below 3k more times than not. Spark plugs will help, with a new air filter, and clean your ICV, TB, and DISC, they are all located around each other, I also saw an improvement went I replaced my CCV, but also increased my oil consumption of mobile 0-40

2001 Topaz Blue 325Ci 64-120k miles SOLD
2003.5 Silver Gray M3 70k miles
scrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 05:57 PM   #40
buguyed

My Ride: '02 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger9 View Post
That's a realistic honest number for city mileage. Be careful listening to the exaggeration of others.
If you drive nice, you can easily see 25+, what's the point of exaggeration bro?
buguyed is offline   Reply With Quote