E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-14-2012, 09:16 PM   #41
Sweetness
E46 is strong with this one

My Ride: '01 325i
Can't wait to tackle these. But with the ZHP control arms. Feels like my control arms are mounted into Folgers Coffee Cans

EDIT: Maybe Meyle HD's now? Just seen Mango flip out at Sean C on the other other thread about these

Last edited by Sweetness; 07-14-2012 at 09:30 PM.
Sweetness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 09:35 PM   #42
smolck

My Ride: 2004 ZHP Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetness View Post
Can't wait to tackle these. But with the ZHP control arms. Feels like my control arms are mounted into Folgers Coffee Cans

EDIT: Maybe Meyle HD's now? Just seen Mango flip out at Sean C on the other other thread about these
Having owned a ZHP and installed roughly 10 sets of the Meyle for people, I can tell you the ZHP arm is better. I don't care what anybody says, the FEEL is impossible to argue. Period.

Check my Youtube channel for DIY's and fun stuff
http://www.youtube.com/user/flipfinish?feature=mhee
smolck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 09:40 PM   #43
Sweetness
E46 is strong with this one

My Ride: '01 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by smolck View Post
Having owned a ZHP and installed roughly 10 sets of the Meyle for people, I can tell you the ZHP arm is better. I don't care what anybody says, the FEEL is impossible to argue. Period.
Point taken. Thank you. I prefer OE as well. And also being able to say I have ZHP parts
Sweetness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 10:12 PM   #44
smolck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetness View Post
Point taken. Thank you. I prefer OE as well. And also being able to say I have ZHP parts
I don't always use OE parts, but for control arms, the ZHP arm is decidedly better than others.

Old 07-15-2012, 12:12 AM   #45
Zabusa

My Ride: 2004 BMW 325
so were these ever confirmed as compatible with sport package?
Zabusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 03:28 AM   #46
jizzzoe

My Ride: is no longer E46 :(
Send a message via Yahoo to jizzzoe
I bought these because I didn't want to spend extra money for ZHP arms or poly bushings but wanted an upgrade from my spent CABs and partially blown ball joints. Happy with the price of $350 shipped, and install was pretty straightforward. Cheers!

My Steel Gray '03 330Ci... I miss you, baby!
MODS: Purely aesthetic… Shadowlined, Smoked and LED'd out!
jizzzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 11:22 AM   #47
smolck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zabusa View Post
so were these ever confirmed as compatible with sport package?
Yea, they work.

Old 08-28-2012, 08:54 PM   #48
ExitBuddy

My Ride: 2008 335i Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
Yep. ZHP/E36 M3 and E46 M3 share all metal design. Non-M E46 came with nylon-casings for comfort and NVH isolation ONLY.

Long-term review? About 20k miles on them and all is good. Corners on rails.

The Meyles weighed in at 1.1lbs more per side than the stock non-M arms. Both with bushings still attached. Not sure where the weight increase is. Probably casting. If you can spring for it, the ZHP arms are the obvious choice. Not to say that you'd be able to tell the difference, but just knowing its OE is good enough to justify the price difference for me. The Meyles are nice units though.

And I'm positive its solid and not fluid-filled, DMAX. I believe thats one of Meyles selling points.
Mango, do you have sport pkg? And what was effect on ride comfort after your changeout to the Meyle setup?
ExitBuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:21 PM   #49
smolck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExitBuddy View Post
Mango, do you have sport pkg? And what was effect on ride comfort after your changeout to the Meyle setup?
Using Meyle does not affect comfort at all.

Old 08-29-2012, 01:42 AM   #50
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
What's there to "feel"? It's a solid piece of aluminum that provides wheel location and pivotal control via solid metal balljoints and a rubber bushing at the end. Since both a functioning ZHP arm and a Meyle arm would be solid, the only variation would be the bushing. And the bushing on the ZHP arm is not unique to the ZHP. It's a known fact that the Meyle bushing is relatively solid compared to the fluid-filled OE bushing. So essentially what you are saying is that the ZHP arm (equipped with OE bushings) has a softer feel than Meyle HD (equipped with Meyle HD bushings) as the bushings are the only variable.

Unless you took two brand new sets of control arms and installed them back to back on the same vehicle, I don't believe your claims of "better feel" to be justified.

BTW, if I had ZHP arms, I'd argue the same point. I don't play favorites. If you want to argue the ZHP arms are better quality, that's fine. You may have a point. But feel? I don't think so. Again. What exactly are you "feeling"?

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:47 AM   #51
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
So I've heard the Meyle balljoint is all metal...which I guess means metal ball and socket both...and I thought I'd read that ZHP arms also have all metal balljoints...though I don't 'know' that that's true.

I know my balljoints have a metal ball in a plastic (nylon?) socket (or 'believe' I 'know' that). Anyway, the construction of the balljoint might be another factor adding to the feel of the CA in addition to the construction of the CAB.

It's discussions like this, though, that confirm for me that OE is the way to go if you want to sleep at night!

Someone should cut through all our balljoints and cabs someday! Maybe it'll be me...as I'm sure I can find a number of these old parts around my shop!

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:55 AM   #52
curca

My Ride: 2002 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by MercForHire View Post
Hi I got a question for Meyle experts.
My car had new Meyle control arms and control arms installed in 2009. I think they should be HD, not sure if Meyle makes two versions.
Did they make control arms with removable balljoints back then?
Thanks
I am interested too because my Meyle control HD control arms are worn after 40,000 miles, and I need to replace them, it would be cost effective if it is possible to change just balljoints, I have 2002 325i sport package, thanks
curca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:41 AM   #53
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
So I've heard the Meyle balljoint is all metal...which I guess means metal ball and socket both...and I thought I'd read that ZHP arms also have all metal balljoints...though I don't 'know' that that's true.

I know my balljoints have a metal ball in a plastic (nylon?) socket (or 'believe' I 'know' that). Anyway, the construction of the balljoint might be another factor adding to the feel of the CA in addition to the construction of the CAB.
It's discussions like this, though, that confirm for me that OE is the way to go if you want to sleep at night!

Someone should cut through all our balljoints and cabs someday! Maybe it'll be me...as I'm sure I can find a number of these old parts around my shop!
Right. I've said it before and said it again. Whether it's Meyle, ZHP ///M, ///M, OE non-M, the basic difference is solid vs. not solid. Period. The sportier cars (ZHP and ///M) have solid balljoints. So do the E36 non-M and ///M, AFAIK.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 08-29-2012, 11:20 AM   #54
smolck

Quote:
But feel? I don't think so. Again. What exactly are you "feeling"?
The sharpness of the steering post install is the feel I speak about. The ZHP outer joint is stiffer and produces a noticeably sharper steering response. I have used Meyle and ZHP arms, this is my opinion. Yours may differ, that is fine. I don't have to have the whole world agree with me. Just sharing my thoughts based on extensive experience installing ALL types for people. Lemforder, ZHP, Febi, Meyle, whatever. The ZHP feel best when you turn.

Old 08-29-2012, 11:30 AM   #55
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
The sharpness of the steering post install is the feel I speak about. The ZHP outer joint is stiffer and produces a noticeably sharper steering response. I have used Meyle and ZHP arms, this is my opinion. Yours may differ, that is fine. I don't have to have the whole world agree with me. Just sharing my thoughts based on extensive experience installing ALL types for people. Lemforder, ZHP, Febi, Meyle, whatever. The ZHP feel best when you turn.
I understand it's your feeling but it's simply not true. There's too many other variables as well as "placebo" effect which would make one thing "Yeah! this turns sharper!" Remember there's nothing magical about a control arm. It's simply a piece of metal that keeps the wheel stationary on its axis relative to the subframe. The only variable is the bushing.

Are you saying a ZHP bushing (which is just a plain old E46 66mm bushing) is sturdier or more solid than a Meyle HD bushing? That's the only variable here with respect to "feel"

I've also installed tons of control arm sets on E30/E36/E46/E39 (thrust arms) and owned 7 BMWs with over 200,000 actual driving miles. I'm from LA--we drive a lot here.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 08-29-2012, 01:07 PM   #56
smolck

Quote:
I understand it's your feeling but it's simply not true. There's too many other variables as well as "placebo" effect which would make one thing "Yeah! this turns sharper!" Remember there's nothing magical about a control arm. It's simply a piece of metal that keeps the wheel stationary on its axis relative to the subframe. The only variable is the bushing.

Are you saying a ZHP bushing (which is just a plain old E46 66mm bushing) is sturdier or more solid than a Meyle HD bushing? That's the only variable here with respect to "feel"

I've also installed tons of control arm sets on E30/E36/E46/E39 (thrust arms) and owned 7 BMWs with over 200,000 actual driving miles. I'm from LA--we drive a lot here.
Whatever Mango, you know everything, nobody else has anything to offer ever. I am sure that BMW made ZHP control arms the exact same as everyone else and that is why they are made differently.

How can you say it ISN'T true?

Just as I believe it is true the ZHP arm is better than Meyle, you believe they aren't. OK, so now what? You continue to bang your war drum and call me wrong, but I continue to say I am right.

As far as your last comment, ok you have owned a bunch of BMW's. My last E46 had 254k ACTUAL DRIVEN miles on it, so what? My current ZHP has 161k miles, so what?

Quote:
I am saying the outer ball joint on the ZHP arm is sturdier than the outer joint on any other brand. This gives a direct feel of a more sharp and responsive turn in. As for the CAB's themselves (not part of the discussion here) I have a LOT of evidence that the Lemforder made bushings are superior to the Meyle. I would list my reasons and experience, but you'd just tell me I am wrong about that too.

Last edited by smolck; 08-29-2012 at 01:09 PM.
Old 08-29-2012, 01:21 PM   #57
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Whatever Mango, you know everything, nobody else has anything to offer ever. I am sure that BMW made ZHP control arms the exact same as everyone else and that is why they are made differently.

How can you say it ISN'T true?

Just as I believe it is true the ZHP arm is better than Meyle, you believe they aren't. OK, so now what? You continue to bang your war drum and call me wrong, but I continue to say I am right.

As far as your last comment, ok you have owned a bunch of BMW's. My last E46 had 254k ACTUAL DRIVEN miles on it, so what? My current ZHP has 161k miles, so what?

I am saying the outer ball joint on the ZHP arm is sturdier than the outer joint on any other brand. This gives a direct feel of a more sharp and responsive turn in. As for the CAB's themselves (not part of the discussion here) I have a LOT of evidence that the Lemforder made bushings are superior to the Meyle. I would list my reasons and experience, but you'd just tell me I am wrong about that too.
No no no. I'm not talking miles ON the car, I'm talking miles I've personally driven aka Los Angeles miles

And again you're confusing yourself. You're arguing build quality AND steering feel--what point are you making?

Sorry but you're alone on this one. The ZHP arm, aside from the possibility of weight and durability, doesn't provide any benefits over another control arm with solid balljoints such as Meyle. Any difference you're "feeling" is elsewhere in any of the cars you've been driving. If someone snuck onto your property in the middle of the night and swapped your ZHPs for Meyles, (keeping the same bushings you had on--just swapping the arms themselves) you're telling me you'd be able to tell the difference?

Yeah... right.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 08-29-2012, 01:26 PM   #58
smolck

Quote:
No no no. I'm not talking miles ON the car, I'm talking miles I've personally driven aka Los Angeles miles

And again you're confusing yourself. You're arguing build quality AND steering feel--what point are you making?

Sorry but you're alone on this one. The ZHP arm, aside from the possibility of weight and durability, doesn't provide any benefits over another control arm with solid balljoints such as Meyle. Any difference you're "feeling" is elsewhere in any of the cars you've been driving. If someone snuck onto your property in the middle of the night and swapped your ZHPs for Meyles, (keeping the same bushings you had on--just swapping the arms themselves) you're telling me you'd be able to tell the difference?

Yeah... right.
Woop dee freaking doo, you drove 200k "Los Angeles miles". Is a mile longer in LA than every where else? I drove every one of the 254k miles on my car too. I drive 30k miles per year. Bought my ZHP with 138k miles in December 2012, has 161k miles on it today. Again, so what? Pointless pissing contest.

As for the other, you are darn right I could tell a difference. I HAVE been able to tell a difference. I don't care if some kid on an E46 forum named Mango with a terrible need to always be right believes me or not. And I am far from alone on this one. Just because nobody has responded here means nothing.

I am simply saying to those who will find this thread in the future, the Lemforder ZHP arms are better than Meyle and worth the additional money.

Old 08-29-2012, 01:32 PM   #59
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Woop dee freaking doo, you drove 200k "Los Angeles miles". Is a mile longer in LA than every where else? I drove every one of the 254k miles on my car too. I drive 30k miles per year. Bought my ZHP with 138k miles in December 2012, has 161k miles on it today. Again, so what? Pointless pissing contest.

As for the other, you are darn right I could tell a difference. I HAVE been able to tell a difference. I don't care if some kid on an E46 forum named Mango with a terrible need to always be right believes me or not. And I am far from alone on this one. Just because nobody has responded here means nothing.

I am simply saying to those who will find this thread in the future, the Lemforder ZHP arms are better than Meyle and worth the additional money.
lol... be nice. Don't get all huffy just because you own a ZHP. ZHP guys tend to be very defensive about their godly parts.

BTW, be friendly before I tell people that you place the weight of your engine and transmission on your crankshaft pulley when the subframe is dropped

Oops. I just did.

ZHP=racecar feel. Fine. I agree. Happy now?

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 08-29-2012, 03:50 PM   #60
smolck

Quote:
BTW, be friendly before I tell people that you place the weight of your engine and transmission on your crankshaft pulley when the subframe is dropped

Nope, wrong again. Once again, see my videos.......fast forward to 1:06.

And as for the ZHP snob comment. No, I don't think a ZHP is a race car or magical. once again, I am simply saying the ZHP control arm has a better result than the Meyle. I've posted the video where I show the minute differences in design and made my case. The masses can decide for themselves.

Last edited by smolck; 08-29-2012 at 03:53 PM.