E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking

Suspension & Braking
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-29-2012, 10:04 AM   #1
Alan L.
TWC Alumni

My Ride: AW M-Sport
Suspension Guru's - Need help on Sway Bar/Endlink Preload Question...

Hi all,

I just got back from my shop that installed a set of springs on my brand new Bmw. Everything was installed while the car was on a lift...

Car looks great and seems to handle much tighter than before but i am noticing a slight rattle/clunk coming from the front of the car after the install. Doesn't make any noises while the car is stationary and turning the wheel left to right. It only makes the noise if i hit a sharp bump going over potholes. On larger bumps that is more gradual the car doesn't make any noise even with more suspension compression. Only on sharp bumps. Sounds like something is loose up front.

I am suspecting it has to do with the swaybar/endlink preload causing the clunks but I am getting conflicting information on the web about this. I've read where it is not possible to preload or zero out load using the OEM endlinks but i've also read where people eliminated suspension noise by doing so using oem endlinks.

Then i am also getting a mix bag where most will tell you you want zero preload on your sway bars by tightening everything while the car is on ramps (my springs were installed on a lift) but have also seen cases where zero preload can cause clunks since there is no tension on the sway bar at all unless you are turning. I've seen this happen on my 335 where i installed a set of adjustable endlinks up front and at zero preload (car was on ramps) if i just banged on the sway bar with my hand you get a nasty resonating vibration/sound. Once i added a little preload by adjusting the endlink if i banged on the sway bar again it felt completely solid.

If anyone has any ideas about this please let me know. I plan on rechecking everything under my car this weekend while it is on ramps and I want to make sure i do it right first time around instead of chasing this for who know how long. I can't stand a car that clunks let alone a brand new car!

Thanks,
Alan

2014 LCI 550i M Sport | 3D Design Front Spoiler | BMW Performance Black Kidney Grills | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler | BMW Performance Gloss Black Diffuser | Painted Reflectors | Wincos 30% Tint | Supersprint Quad Exhaust | AC Schnitzer Springs | MORR VS8.2 Brushed Finished Wheels 20x10R and 20x9F | Michelin PSS Tires 245/35/20F 285/30/20R |||More Photos of my car here|||
Alan L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.