E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-29-2012, 11:49 AM   #1
///M Powerd

My Ride: 2003.5 M3 Coupe
M3 Seats Uncomfortable?

hey guys,

Just got back from my first road trip in my M3 and I have to say that the seats are really uncomfortable. I had them adjusted when I went to a BMWCCA driving school event so they should be in the correct position. Also, my seats have no lumbar or side bolster support.

Just wondering if you guys have the same experience with your seats and if there are any tips or trick to stop your ass from falling asleep lol

Thanks
///M Powerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:53 AM   #2
simsima325
'a certain moderator'

My Ride: Honda Civic
A lot of people think the non-M sport seats are more comfortable than the M seats, and note this change in comfort when upgrading to an M, or M interior.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:57 AM   #3
Chewy

My Ride: '03 LSB M3 Vert SMG
Yeah my side support isn't very good either. If you have patience and good with DIY, you can open up the seats and insert some material.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:59 AM   #4
///M Powerd

I wish I could transplant the seats from my previous car (7-series) into my M. Are racing seats (Bride, Recaro, etc) more comfortable?
Old 08-29-2012, 12:06 PM   #5
M3Inline6
I'm now boosting! Funnnn!

My Ride: 335/X5/M3/848/128i
My E9X ///M seats are comfortable to me, but every physique is different. I've never considered any ///M car uncomfortable, and I've owned 3 E46 M3's and 2 E9X M3's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionjack View Post
Dude, you are massively gay for Capoeira. Yes I know this has been well established for quite some time.
Quote:
While not big, I bet it's firm and can grind the sh1t out of a crank.
M3Inline6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 01:13 PM   #6
AlpinTXiX

My Ride: 03 M3
The E46 seats are NOT comfortable on long drives. Period. They always give my legs cramps after 2-300 miles of driving, even with shifting seat positions. Over several thousand miles of roadtripping I have yet to find a seat position that doesn't cause discomfort after 2-300 miles. Breaks are a must of long trips in this car. BUT, the seats are awesome on short drives and great in corners, but just too stiff for real long distances.

As for tips, I've got my presets all on different seating positions so I just change the seat when I start feeling discomfort; that'll usually stave off discomfort for an hour.

Last edited by AlpinTXiX; 08-29-2012 at 01:15 PM.
AlpinTXiX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 01:20 PM   #7
skeeterv

My Ride: e46
Maybe its me... but I love the seats in the m3. Drove over 300 miles no problems. It is very snug and comfortable. Drove my friends 330i and just felt my body go side to side on turns.
skeeterv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 01:25 PM   #8
peytonracer4

My Ride: '00 328i
The seats in my non m have never really tickled my fancy. I wouldn't say they're uncomfortable. But just about every other car we have has better seats including the e90 sport seats and the e30.
I feel like the e46 seats were designed for fat people. I have a good 3 inches on either side of me at all times if not more. The side bolsters are so wide. Way too wide to offer much usable support.
If I could swap in the e90 seats with adjustable side bolsters in I'd do it in a heartbeat.
Old 08-29-2012, 01:37 PM   #9
M3Inline6
I'm now boosting! Funnnn!

My Ride: 335/X5/M3/848/128i
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpinTXiX View Post
The E46 seats are NOT comfortable on long drives. Period. They always give my legs cramps after 2-300 miles of driving, even with shifting seat positions. Over several thousand miles of roadtripping I have yet to find a seat position that doesn't cause discomfort after 2-300 miles. Breaks are a must of long trips in this car. BUT, the seats are awesome on short drives and great in corners, but just too stiff for real long distances.

As for tips, I've got my presets all on different seating positions so I just change the seat when I start feeling discomfort; that'll usually stave off discomfort for an hour.
Definitive statements don't apply in qualitative circumstances. What isn't comfortable to you may be comfortable to others.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Bimmer App

Quote:
Dude, you are massively gay for Capoeira. Yes I know this has been well established for quite some time.
Quote:
While not big, I bet it's firm and can grind the sh1t out of a crank.
M3Inline6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 01:51 PM   #10
badass1g

My Ride: yeller
I havent taken a long trip but everytime i drive it it feels perfect.. The seats are one of my fav parts of this M vs my previous 335i.
badass1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 03:22 PM   #11
kcf

My Ride: '04 M3 6MT
Like someone said above, it will be different depending on how big/small you are in certain areas.

I recently had an '08 STI and find the stock ///M seats to be amazing. I've also had an .:R VW and B6 A4....for me the ///M seats are the best so far. Not to say I wouldn't jump all over a set of Recaro Sportser CS.
kcf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 03:37 PM   #12
SledgeHammer!

My Ride: 2005 E46 M3
I have an E46 M3 and recently drove a new 328i loaner car... anybody who thinks those seats are better is crazy. I couldn't wait to get back in my M3. The 328i was complete crap on the interior. Everything in it looks all cheap and plasticy. Would not buy.
SledgeHammer! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 05:14 PM   #13
peytonracer4

My Ride: '00 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by SledgeHammer! View Post
I have an E46 M3 and recently drove a new 328i loaner car... anybody who thinks those seats are better is crazy. I couldn't wait to get back in my M3. The 328i was complete crap on the interior. Everything in it looks all cheap and plasticy. Would not buy.
Anyone who thinks the stock comfort seats are nice needs their head checked. Anyone talking about e90 seats being better are talking about the sport seats
Old 08-29-2012, 05:40 PM   #14
theOSUbob

My Ride: LeMans Blue E46 M3
Send a message via Skype™ to theOSUbob
Quote:
Originally Posted by SledgeHammer! View Post
I agree with this, I really disliked almost everything about the loaner 3series I have had (although you are comparing them to an ///M, albeit an older ///M).

I have yet to take my M3 on a trip longer than 4-5 hours or so, but in that time frame I do not get any more uncomfortable that I do in any car sitting for that long.
theOSUbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 05:55 PM   #15
SledgeHammer!

My Ride: 2005 E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by theOSUbob View Post
I agree with this, I really disliked almost everything about the loaner 3series I have had (although you are comparing them to an ///M, albeit an older ///M).

I have yet to take my M3 on a trip longer than 4-5 hours or so, but in that time frame I do not get any more uncomfortable that I do in any car sitting for that long.
I've always thought the E46 M3 was the best looking car on the road (not counting exotics which look too tiny-penis'ish to me ), so nothing can touch it on the exterior IMO.

As for the interior... I dunno... the E46 just blows away the E9x's in every regard. I had an E46 325i before I got my M3 and with the exception of the seat leather, the 325 interior was pretty much the same as the M3 (minus the styling cues which are minimal). The first year the E9x's came out, they went to 2 stacked guages (vs. 4 normal ones) and that made the car look like a budget Honda... thank god they fixed that. I dunno... just everything from the dash to the door handles to the seats to the center console to the trunk hinges just looks all cheezy IMO.

If I was forced to buy a car today, would definitely NOT buy it cuz of the crappy interior.
SledgeHammer! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:11 PM   #16
VMRWheels
Sponsor

My Ride: 1:25 Scale Enzo
Send a message via AIM to VMRWheels Send a message via Yahoo to VMRWheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
My E9X ///M seats are comfortable to me, but every physique is different. I've never considered any ///M car uncomfortable, and I've owned 3 E46 M3's and 2 E9X M3's.
Very true. I find them to be quite comfortable, the E9X more than others.

Facebook! | Flickr! | Blog! | Instagram!
New for 2014: V702 Multispoke | V810 Flow Form
VMRWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:46 PM   #17
Obioban

My Ride: 2005 Imola/Imola M3
Send a message via AIM to Obioban
Non lumbar adjustable M seats are uncomfortable.
Adjustable lumber M seats are comfortable.

My first e46 M3 didn't have adjustable lumber and I was uncomfortable after a half hour in the car. The current one does and I've ridden in it for 20 hours non stop (literally) and got out without discomfort.

So... depends how you optioned the car.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:57 PM   #18
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Send a message via AIM to 2000_328CI Send a message via MSN to 2000_328CI
In my humble opinion Non-M Sport Seats > Non-M-Non-Sport-Seats > My racing buckets > M3 seats.

Everything you need to know on muffler deletes : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=745244
Back Up Camera for E46 : http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=ckrDiAClGgM
Muffler Delete on E46 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofYhRq0T3eI
2000_328CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:45 PM   #19
///M Powerd

I guess there is no way to add lumbar except getting new seats eh?
Old 08-29-2012, 09:34 PM   #20
Mallee

My Ride: 2002 E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by badass1g View Post
I havent taken a long trip but everytime i drive it it feels perfect.. The seats are one of my fav parts of this M vs my previous 335i.
I have done a couple of long trips and I find the seats excellent.

Though mine do have all the adjustable lumbar/bolster settings..
Mallee is offline   Reply With Quote