E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-30-2012, 03:58 PM   #1
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Oil pan gasket sealant... dreibond, Hondabond, ultra-gray, ultra-black??

What have you used with no leaks? I want to be sure and do this right the first time. I have a tube of Ultra-Black (spare me the jokes, Dmax), was wondering if it's suitable for the job. Supposedly, it's good for high temps and oil... but the oil pan is a different beast.

simple question but i need to ensure 100% success

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-30-2012, 04:10 PM   #2
fiveightandten

My Ride: '03 330ci / '98 M3
The oil pan gasket does a pretty good job in and of itself and you really should only need product in a few select areas. Any of those products should do the trick if applied properly and allowed to cure before being subjected to oil, heat, and crankcase pressure.

Ultra Black will work just fine. If I remember right, that's what I used on my E36's oil pan in 2007 or so, and it's still holding up.

I'm partial to Hondabond. Fujibond (Subaru stuff) is similar and also pretty good.. FYI, Honda also makes a gasket maker specifically for gaskets that see oil now (whereas Hondabond would historically be used for everything). I used that on my WRX oil pan (Subaru goes metal on metal with no gasket and only sealant) with good results (no leaks 15K miles after the job, but I sold the car then).

Just be sure to let the product tack up slightly before pressing mating surfaces together, unless otherwise instructed differently on the container, and don't fill with oil right away. I'd prefer to wait a day to be safe, but if you need the car, 12 hours should be sufficient. Drying time and proper torquing are the most important things, along with making sure the mating surfaces are completely clean. I like to use a scotchbrite scrubby. Just enough abrasiveness to clean it well, but not enough that it will scar the metal. After that, wipe down with a lint free rag that has some brake cleaner spritzed on it.

Last edited by fiveightandten; 08-30-2012 at 04:12 PM.
fiveightandten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 04:14 PM   #3
Zell

My Ride: Has no throttle
Hondabond is good stuff. Highly recommended. If they had Bimmerbond I'd use it, but Hondabond is the next best thing. I plan on getting a tube of it for when I do VANOS.
Old 08-30-2012, 04:35 PM   #4
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
I know my dealer uses ultra-gray for the rear diff plate...which doesn't use a gasket anymore...but I believe the sealant recommended by bmw requires quick connection...that you don't want it to tack up first...

I know you'll read the directions on the container, Mango, so I'm not worried. Be careful with that ultra black. I hear that once you "go" Ultra-Black, you can't go back.

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set Skip to 1:30

Last edited by dmax; 08-30-2012 at 04:36 PM.
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 04:41 PM   #5
Mango
A full five stars, son

lol thanks guys. i'll just use my ultra black. and i knew it dmax.. you're right.. you never go back! i asked Benn. He knows.

Crap I'm time limited and can't let the car sit... I'll of course make sure all surfaces are immaculate and i'll follow TIS's recommendations of 2mm high, 3mm wide bead of sealant at seams front and rear (4 total)

We know BMW isn't letting cars sit in their service bays for 24 hours to dry...

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 08-30-2012, 05:10 PM   #6
fiveightandten

My Ride: '03 330ci / '98 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
The starter on my E36 M3 was replaced by the dealer under warranty before it came into my hands. When I replaced the clutch, and went to remove it, I found the starter secured with 1 bolt (instead of 2). It was 5" long, had a hex head (not torx), and was clearly the wrong bolt for the application. I had to pull the intake manifold to get it out. I've found more of their handywork in the car as well, and other cars i've worked on that have been to the dealer.

But I digress...what was that about BMW following the most prudent protocol again? They're the biggest hacks of them all!

Seriously though, you'll be fine. Just give it as long as possible to dry.

Last edited by fiveightandten; 08-30-2012 at 05:11 PM.
fiveightandten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 05:10 PM   #7
dmax

Uh, oh...that doesn't sound like the Mango I know! But, you're right, I'm sure the dealer repair doesn't require an overnight visit...but if you hold a bit, I'll check my sources on that and see what I can find.

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

Old 08-30-2012, 05:14 PM   #8
jasonbimmer

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
lol thanks guys. i'll just use my ultra black. and i knew it dmax.. you're right.. you never go back! i asked Benn. He knows.

Crap I'm time limited and can't let the car sit... I'll of course make sure all surfaces are immaculate and i'll follow TIS's recommendations of 2mm high, 3mm wide bead of sealant at seams front and rear (4 total)

it doesnt need to.
jasonbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 05:27 PM   #9
dmax

Last time I was in the auto parts store, I started reading all the rtv labels...they all vary greatly in temp resistance, oil contact, sensor safe, etc....

Ultra black, according to the unopened container I'm reading right now has:

Maximum oil resistance
rtv silicone gasket maker

High temp formula--up to 500 F

Fast curing

Low odor/noncorrosive

Sensor safe

Not to be used as a personal lubricant.

Assemble parts immediately. Finger tighten, allow to dry for 1 hour, then retighten 1/4-1/2 turn.

Dries in one hour, fully cures in 24.

Don't use it on head gaskets or parts contacting gasoline.

Sounds good to me...I might follow your diy soon...so hope it all works out for you!

Old 08-30-2012, 05:32 PM   #10
jasonbimmer

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
Not to be used as a personal lubricant.
jasonbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 05:55 PM   #12
Mango
A full five stars, son

Thank you Nervous and DMAX. And Fiveeightandten, I totally understand what you're saying... I always tell people that lots of BMW dealer techs are idiots. The things I've seen and heard.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS