E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-30-2012, 04:33 PM   #41
trj

My Ride: 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonshmoe View Post
99% sure it's gonna be another e46 if not it is going to be an e92 or a suv because of the road conditions in Georgia.

I have set aside about 8k in addition to what insurance has given me to look for a e46 m3. I used to want an e9x badly, but after driving my mom and sister's e90s for a couple weeks... They are annoying and I don't care for them.
e92, specially 335i even better 335is is a beast and more(well) equipped.
e46 M3 would be another league, but for a daily that will be used in snow I'd take e92 over M3. Also, consider that the insurance premium and maintenance for M3 will be higher than the e92.

I dont know why you would want an SUV if you are considering a coupe.
Old 08-30-2012, 04:46 PM   #42
Jonshmoe

My Ride: (GONE)
Send a message via AIM to Jonshmoe Send a message via MSN to Jonshmoe Send a message via Skype™ to Jonshmoe
Quote:
Originally Posted by trj View Post
e92, specially 335i even better 335is is a beast and more(well) equipped.
e46 M3 would be another league, but for a daily that will be used in snow I'd take e92 over M3. Also, consider that the insurance premium and maintenance for M3 will be higher than the e92.

I dont know why you would want an SUV if you are considering a coupe.
Thanks for the tips. I love the e46 body the e92 is a lot more stylish but will cost more on the front end... possibility of the turbo failure.... and it's not an M. It is easier to chip/tune an e9x though

Jet Black E90
Sienna Red E46 (RIP)
Jonshmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 05:12 PM   #43
trj

Quote:
Thanks for the tips. I love the e46 body the e92 is a lot more stylish but will cost more on the front end... possibility of the turbo failure.... and it's not an M. It is easier to chip/tune an e9x though
I consider e92 for a daily, but if it was a weekend car definitely the M3 would be my choice. Even the 328s are not bad, they have more power than our 330s. If you are worried about snow then get an x-drive.
Heck, even test drive the 1-series.

These cars are more money up front, but they are newer as well and possibly less abused and need less maintenance. Many carry factory or extended warranty so the maintenance would not be an issue up front. Also being newer it will carry the resale value much further than our cars.

I can imagine selling my car for 4k-5k in next 2 years even though I have bought it for a lot more and put a so much more in maintenance. So, if its time for an upgrade I would definitely look for a newer model unless there is something you really dont like about that car.

I am torn between two cars for an upgrade as well though. A jag XKR or the e92. But both will have to wait till I am done with my school and get a career job I want.
Old 08-30-2012, 05:32 PM   #44
TechieTechie

My Ride: 05 M3,04 z4, 01 325t
Jon....sorry that this happened to you....must have been devastating. Just glad YOU are safe...that's the most important. Were you or insurance able to find out what caused the fire?
Old 08-30-2012, 05:38 PM   #45
Jonshmoe

Send a message via AIM to Jonshmoe Send a message via MSN to Jonshmoe Send a message via Skype™ to Jonshmoe
Quote:
Originally Posted by trj View Post
I consider e92 for a daily, but if it was a weekend car definitely the M3 would be my choice. Even the 328s are not bad, they have more power than our 330s. If you are worried about snow then get an x-drive.
Heck, even test drive the 1-series.

These cars are more money up front, but they are newer as well and possibly less abused and need less maintenance. Many carry factory or extended warranty so the maintenance would not be an issue up front. Also being newer it will carry the resale value much further than our cars.

I can imagine selling my car for 4k-5k in next 2 years even though I have bought it for a lot more and put a so much more in maintenance. So, if its time for an upgrade I would definitely look for a newer model unless there is something you really dont like about that car.

I am torn between two cars for an upgrade as well though. A jag XKR or the e92. But both will have to wait till I am done with my school and get a career job I want.

I love the 1 series but just do not see it as affordable. 328i has a decent amount of power and my mom and sis both got theirs in great condition at bargain price and I just dont care for it. I'll probably pick up a M3 for a couple years than move on once I get into my career

Jet Black E90
Sienna Red E46 (RIP)
Old 08-30-2012, 06:30 PM   #46
afstud

My Ride: 2003 ZHP 6-speed
darn, i really want to know what caused your car to ignite like that.... sorry for the loss and good luck with the M3 upgrade with the future! youll be very happy.
Old 08-30-2012, 06:41 PM   #47
Cobra

My Ride: '00 328i & '06 R6S
sorry to hear about your loss, glad to hear you're alright. good luck on the search for a new bimmer, and do keep us posted if you find out what caused the fire
Old 08-30-2012, 07:35 PM   #48
kaldE46

My Ride: 2001 325i
Like I said Jon, stay in the family! I know how you feel man, my first car caught on fire and it was the weirdest gut feeling watching it burn. All that hard work.

Nice work with insurance.

-Kaldes
Old 08-30-2012, 08:43 PM   #49
trj

Quote:
I love the 1 series but just do not see it as affordable. 328i has a decent amount of power and my mom and sis both got theirs in great condition at bargain price and I just dont care for it. I'll probably pick up a M3 for a couple years than move on once I get into my career
We both stuck in the same situation, cant afford the new one till a good career job pops up.
Good luck with the M3 search.
Keep us posted.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:48 PM   #50
edz2003

My Ride: 2003 325ci
wait so did you find out what caused the fire??? i've done so many upgrades and makes me so nervous to know something might happen!!
edz2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:23 PM   #51
choxor

My Ride: JDM
Holy crap
Old 08-30-2012, 09:35 PM   #52
Jonshmoe

They are saying that it was an electrical fire in regards to the A/C. Either a fuse or the AC Motor overheated and had contact with a wire that caused a spark behind the dashboard.

Jet Black E90
Sienna Red E46 (RIP)
Old 08-30-2012, 09:47 PM   #53
edz2003

My Ride: 2003 325ci
Quote:
They are saying that it was an electrical fire in regards to the A/C. Either a fuse or the AC Motor overheated and had contact with a wire that caused a spark behind the dashboard.
damn, it was totally uncontrollable then. did you smell anything strange before it happened or while driving?? I put a lot of time behind my ride and love every minute of it so i know how you feel man! happy to hear you getting good money for it! got for a M3 for sure but e46
edz2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:55 PM   #54
stevenluczynski

My Ride: Is Steel Blue<3
didn't you make a thread where you sold the car?!
Old 08-31-2012, 01:35 AM   #55
Jonshmoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by edz2003 View Post
damn, it was totally uncontrollable then. did you smell anything strange before it happened or while driving?? I put a lot of time behind my ride and love every minute of it so i know how you feel man! happy to hear you getting good money for it! got for a M3 for sure but e46

Thanks bro and yea... We noticed smoke then it became rapid. As we were pulling over we saw black smoke and we got as much as possible out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenluczynski View Post
didn't you make a thread where you sold the car?!

Jet Black E90
Sienna Red E46 (RIP)