E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2012, 11:19 PM   #1
Five_seveN

My Ride: rover james
Send a message via AIM to Five_seveN
does a misfire create a service engine or CEL?

sounds like my car has a misfire but the only light on is service engine soon. is this related to the misfire or would there be a CEL as well?

Perhaps you should stop responding. It's a no-win for you here. :dunno:
Five_seveN is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:29 PM   #2
zhenkaaaM3

My Ride: Fst'r then your e46
Misfires would give you a SES light. In other words, a check engine light.

I used to be an e46 owner. I love this one more.

zhenkaaaM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:09 AM   #3
trj

My Ride: 325Ci
Usually a when a misfire is detected the code is stored and SES/CEL light will be ON.
In case of continuos misfires(while you are driving) the CEL should blink with each misfire, accompanied with jerks from the engine and rpm dips. At least that is the case with most OBD II cars, not sure if e46 SES behaves in the same way.
Old 08-03-2012, 05:40 AM   #4
jfoj

My Ride: '06 330CiC, '03 M5
Get your codes read, post results back and read the first link below in my signature.

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose fan switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 12:57 PM   #5
estar11

My Ride: 2004 BMW M3
I'm having the same issue with my m3
estar11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 05:25 PM   #6
Five_seveN

code P01/(71)74: fuel trim bank one and two condition

ECM has detected a rich or learn air/fuel ratio condition on engine banks one and two

ive already had misfires fixed three times. sometimes itll misfire as soon as i start then be okay as i drive

Old 08-29-2012, 05:48 PM   #7
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Plug your codes into advanced/title search.

Many causes...like broken intake boot, leaking disa, bad/dirty maf, dirty injectors (use techron), dirty air filter.

Start with the basics...get a look down at TB and just replace the lower boot for $12 assuming you haven't...and do the rest of the stuff on that trip to TB as you can. Search me and Tampa Bay in some thread somewhere.

GL...hth

There's only the Check Engine Light (looks like an engine)...means you can drive but get it looked at and do something about it. Often CEL is emissions related...could be another vac hose broken. See jfoj's sig for a good thread on misfires, etc.

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 04:31 PM   #8
Five_seveN

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
Plug your codes into advanced/title search.

Many causes...like broken intake boot, leaking disa, bad/dirty maf, dirty injectors (use techron), dirty air filter.

Start with the basics...get a look down at TB and just replace the lower boot for $12 assuming you haven't...and do the rest of the stuff on that trip to TB as you can. Search me and Tampa Bay in some thread somewhere.

GL...hth

There's only the Check Engine Light (looks like an engine)...means you can drive but get it looked at and do something about it. Often CEL is emissions related...could be another vac hose broken. See jfoj's sig for a good thread on misfires, etc.
all of that was replaced sometime last year. i think the only thing left to check are the injectors. is there any significant damage that could be done if i let it run lean for awhile? this is taking a long time to fix

Old 08-30-2012, 05:21 PM   #9
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Five_seveN View Post
sounds like my car has a misfire but the only light on is service engine soon. is this related to the misfire or would there be a CEL as well?
SERVICE ENGINE SOON is the Check Engine Light.

For some moronic reason, automakers have a choice to use service engine soon, check engine, or a picture of the engine with or without the word CHECK under it.

This is a place where the specification should dictate precisely what must be used, and there should be no options just for the reason you bring to the table -- your car is calling for yo uto Check Engine, but the message does not say that.
jdstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 05:30 PM   #10
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
Quote:
code P01/(71)74: fuel trim bank one and two condition

ECM has detected a rich or learn air/fuel ratio condition on engine banks one and two

ive already had misfires fixed three times. sometimes itll misfire as soon as i start then be okay as i drive
P0171 & P0174 mean the Fuel Trim is LEAN. Lean can be caused by -- is almost always caused by -- a vacuum leak.

The intake air passes through the MAF, where it is analyzed for air density and temp -- warm air is thin, cold air is dense -- and the computer uses the information to set the fuel delivery (injector) timing. When the air is cold and dense, there must be more fuel delivered, if the air is warm and thin, then less fuel is needed. The goal is to keep the air/fuel ratio at 14.7:1 (14.7 parts of air for each part of fuel). If there is an intake leak, then extra air will enter the intake system that is not metered by the MAF, the result is the fuel delivery might not be sufficient -- it will not be sufficient in almost every case -- and the resulting mixture will be lean, giving the codes you got. P0171 is for Bank 1, P0174 is for Bank 2.
jdstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:36 PM   #11
Five_seveN

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdstrickland View Post
P0171 & P0174 mean the Fuel Trim is LEAN. Lean can be caused by -- is almost always caused by -- a vacuum leak.

The intake air passes through the MAF, where it is analyzed for air density and temp -- warm air is thin, cold air is dense -- and the computer uses the information to set the fuel delivery (injector) timing. When the air is cold and dense, there must be more fuel delivered, if the air is warm and thin, then less fuel is needed. The goal is to keep the air/fuel ratio at 14.7:1 (14.7 parts of air for each part of fuel). If there is an intake leak, then extra air will enter the intake system that is not metered by the MAF, the result is the fuel delivery might not be sufficient -- it will not be sufficient in almost every case -- and the resulting mixture will be lean, giving the codes you got. P0171 is for Bank 1, P0174 is for Bank 2.
thanks. that narrows down what i should be looking at

Old 08-30-2012, 07:49 PM   #12
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Quote:
all of that was replaced sometime last year. i think the only thing left to check are the injectors. is there any significant damage that could be done if i let it run lean for awhile? this is taking a long time to fix
Letting it run lean or rich isn't good. Significant damage? Probably not if you get to it within a reasonable time, but not good long term.

Injectors are probably the last thing you want to check, though. You're getting misfires in all cylinders...all injectors wouldn't go bad together unless the computer was really messed up...neither really happens much.

Lean condition is, as JD said, often air leak...if not lower boot (you said that was done), then many vac hoses around...look under cabin air filter housing...read jfoj's sig... do some looking around with led flashlight and inspection mirror.

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote